Chips' Fun House Forum Index

View next topic
View previous topic
Page 1 of 1
Chips' Fun House Forum Index  ~  Questions, Suggestions and Recommendations  ~  Please don't...
Chips
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 6:32 pm  Reply with quote
Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Yesterday...we were having a rather good battle on ksour on the main server. I won't mention names, but...someone mentioned that the DOD server was going up and poof...about 4 players left immediately. Since there were about 10 of us on...that was a good percentage of the players. Within the next few minutes, most others dropped out also...can't say I blame them. It wasn't much fun at that point.

Look...we all have other gaming interests. I myself have been playing and running servers for CS, HL2DM and HL2CTF. I also play Madden 2005 with my bro and I love a round of Battlefield now and then. It's nice having something to fall back on when TFC burnout settles in...like it has with me recently.

But...please don't come on the main server to recruit players for another game, especially when there's a lot of players there. That's what our forums are for. When I put up a non tfc server, I announce it here. I don't pop on the main server looking for folks to play with before or after I put it up. Announce it here...and they will come if they're that interested.

Now...it's another thing if there's just a few peeps on the main server. They probably won't stay around long if no one else joins anyway. If you have plans to play another mod or game...it would be nice if you would at least stay till the end of the map. A bunch of people dropping out in the middle of a map kills the fun for the remaining players.

Of course, no one can make you do any of this. These are just my thoughts on the matter. I believe we should be showing a little more respect and concern for our fellow members...and the game that brought us all together.

The only good game, is a fair game...
Why do we park on driveways and drive on parkways! George Carlin - 1937-2008

-[CfH]-Server Admin
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
The Crimson King
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 7:31 pm  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

yes. i would also like to second this. i've seen this happen before, and it sorta makes me a little guilty Embarassed

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Creamy White Sponge
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 8:30 pm  Reply with quote
Forum Sniper
Forum Sniper

I couldn't agree more. It takes the piss to be honest Evil or Very Mad

Adam Reece
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Snickers
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 8:48 pm  Reply with quote
Forum Soldier
Forum Soldier

Chips wrote:
Yesterday...we were having a rather good battle on ksour on the main server. I won't mention names, but...someone mentioned that the DOD server was going up and poof...about 4 players left immediately. Since there were about 10 of us on...that was a good percentage of the players. Within the next few minutes, most others dropped out also...can't say I blame them. It wasn't much fun at that point.

Look...we all have other gaming interests. I myself have been playing and running servers for CS, HL2DM and HL2CTF. I also play Madden 2005 with my bro and I love a round of Battlefield now and then. It's nice having something to fall back on when TFC burnout settles in...like it has with me recently.

But...please don't come on the main server to recruit players for another game, especially when there's a lot of players there. That's what our forums are for. When I put up a non tfc server, I announce it here. I don't pop on the main server looking for folks to play with before or after I put it up. Announce it here...and they will come if they're that interested.

Now...it's another thing if there's just a few peeps on the main server. They probably won't stay around long if no one else joins anyway. If you have plans to play another mod or game...it would be nice if you would at least stay till the end of the map. A bunch of people dropping out in the middle of a map kills the fun for the remaining players.

Of course, no one can make you do any of this. These are just my thoughts on the matter. I believe we should be showing a little more respect and concern for our fellow members...and the game that brought us all together.

Ok I have to disagree with this (no offense)
1. People that you probably want to play with aren't on the forums, which could be a problem.

2. If its a full house your saying that we shouldn't ask people?

3. I seriously don't think that if there's only a few players they want to stay long. They might want to play other games until the server gets full (which we should be able to ask since it should still have alot of players after some people leave)

4. We want to wait for people to read the forums?

I do agree with some points that if there's a medium amount of players on the server that we shouldn't ask but really it also hurts the server runner if they have to wait a long time just for 1 person to come.
Creamy White Sponge
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 9:39 pm  Reply with quote
Forum Sniper
Forum Sniper

Snickers wrote:
Chips wrote:

Ok I have to disagree with this (no offense)
1. People that you probably want to play with aren't on the forums, which could be a problem.

2. If its a full house your saying that we shouldn't ask people?

3. I seriously don't think that if there's only a few players they want to stay long. They might want to play other games until the server gets full (which we should be able to ask since it should still have alot of players after some people leave)

4. We want to wait for people to read the forums?

I do agree with some points that if there's a medium amount of players on the server that we shouldn't ask but really it also hurts the server runner if they have to wait a long time just for 1 person to come.

I'm sorry but I think those answers are a load of crap tbh Cool

Most of the time, people just advertise the server and say something like "I'm off to someip:port for DoD anyone wanna come?", which isn't directed at any particular player. This should be done on the forums.

If it's a full house, which it isn't often, one person leaving won't effect much (let's say the guy who advertised their server), but when more than that leave, it triggers more and more people to leave.

When a fun map cycle is on, people sometimes stay for hours, like me.

Adam Reece
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Chips
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 10:49 pm  Reply with quote

I agree with your point number 3 only Snickers. I myself made that same comment. And I also said no one can really stop you from doing this.

Once folks get to know about the numerous servers we can run at any time, perhaps they will look more often at the posts here...that's all I'm saying. And MOST, not all of the peeps we play with are on these forums. Very few are not.

Again, no one can stop you from doing it. But you'll know how it feels when it happens to you. We were having a great game and it just sucked the life out of it...just wasn't fun after that.

I think it's fine to come on the server and tell folks you'll be running XXX server "this afternoon" or "this evening"...come join me then. I'm just suggesting we don't start emptying out each others servers in this "immediate" way.

-[CfH]-Server Admin
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Snickers
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 2:55 pm  Reply with quote
Forum Soldier
Forum Soldier

Adam, weren't you banned from jolt ok so shush... j/p xD

If you put a rule enforcing this that would be plain stupid.

Maybe when there's hardly any people on/when map ends we should tell. Of course I will start posting time up too, people READ THE DAMN STICKIES.
Chips
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:37 pm  Reply with quote

Snickers wrote:
If you put a rule enforcing this that would be plain stupid.

Actually, it wouldn't be stupid at all. I've seen on numerous server's welcome screen that advertising another server will get you banned. There's a reason why server ops make that choice. With the decreasing number of TFC server out there...it's not uncommon for players to join one to recruit players to another server.

I've already said TWICE that no one can (or will) stop you from doing this here. (Three times now Laughing ). I'm just asking for a common courtesy to each other.

Snickers wrote:

Maybe when there's hardly any people on/when map ends we should tell. Of course I will start posting time up too, people READ THE DAMN STICKIES.

This is certainly more acceptable. Wink
As I said, when peeps get used to all that's being offered here now, they'll be more apt to take a look here and see what's going on.

-[CfH]-Server Admin
Creamy White Sponge
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 4:31 pm  Reply with quote
Forum Sniper
Forum Sniper

Jolt suck.

Adam Reece