Chips' Fun House Forum Index

View next topic
View previous topic
Page 4 of 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Chips' Fun House Forum Index  ~  Our Forum Members  ~  To Wear or Not To Wear our tag...
Chips
PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 12:46 pm  Reply with quote
Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Whether or not it's boring to you had a lot to do with the time of day. I rarely play in the morning or afternoon...even on weekends. I tend to play later in the evening when the "older" folks are there...believe me, it's not at all boring.

A few of the admins certainly are not showing up and playing like they used to...there used to be pretty good coverage from the afternoon through the early morning hours. That doesn't seem to be the case any more...I'll have to look into how to fix that. Still, it's almost impossible to assure 24/7 adminship on any server.

I've never seen this "robot" admin you speak of...and I'm glad I haven't. I'd much prefer a human touch to what goes on here. Again, I'll see if I can't find more coverage during the earlier parts of the day.

The bots would be a problem if you're one of a few players on at the time. Again, in the evenings...this is not a problem. There's just about always enough players to kick all the bots. I realize that a few humans against the bots won't always be fun. But I've learned that people don't come to empty servers...that's why they're there. They are also set on medium level...perhaps I should try their lowest level possible. That could be interesting.

The only good game, is a fair game...
Why do we park on driveways and drive on parkways! George Carlin - 1937-2008

-[CfH]-Server Admin
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
InfernoWarrior
PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 2:37 pm  Reply with quote
Forum Soldier
Forum Soldier

the lowest level would make it to easy
The Howling Man
PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 2:45 pm  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

Chips wrote:
Well, to be honest...I think we run a pretty strong rotation compared to most servers. There are 12 maps in the cycle. If some of the dustbowl type maps play till the end, that's almost 6 hours of differing play. Most servers don't offer that. Certainly, it takes quite a while for your favorite map to come around again. That's a lot of choice right there.

Most server do not offer any type of voting...what's in their rotation is what you get, like it or not. And sure, some do have fancy voting schemes. At least you do get a choice here. The ratio to win a vote is set at 40%. So if the server is full, 8 votes would be required to change the map. Most times when I see a mapvote fail, it's around 6 that's needed...or 16 players. I think it's a fair ratio. Six players can decide what all 16 will play. At least 3 times tonight when I was playing, a map was voted to be played outside of the regular rotation.

The real trick of it is to "talk" to the others before you all start pressing buttons. If there's only 6 of you on and you all agree on a map, you'll get that map. The problem is no one discusses it first...you have 45 seconds to make a choice. I added many new maps recently. When I see one come up on the list...I immediately say "let's try this new map, we've never played it before". Most times, peeps will follow suit. You can do the same...sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. At least give that a shot. There's been much debate about this topic, and I think it works "fairly" well if the players stick together.

Works for me all the time, if a map I want comes up in the vote, I start suggesting (firmly of course Razz ) that everyone vote for it. I really don't see a problem with the current voting system. Most people have no idea what to vote for, and if a couple people vote for the same map, everyone else will follow suit.

InfernoWarrior
PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 2:47 pm  Reply with quote
Forum Soldier
Forum Soldier

which probably gets boring??
Chips
PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 2:59 pm  Reply with quote

InfernoWarrior wrote:
the lowest level would make it to easy

And I posted over two hours ago that I have lowered the bots skill. Confused

Playing maps out of the cycle is never boring...especially if it's a good map. Again, I do what Howling recommended also...and we frequently play maps out of the cycle. Good Idea

The only good game, is a fair game...
Why do we park on driveways and drive on parkways! George Carlin - 1937-2008

-[CfH]-Server Admin
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger