Chips' Fun House Forum Index

View next topic
View previous topic
Page 3 of 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Chips' Fun House Forum Index  ~  Our Forum Members  ~  To Wear or Not To Wear our tag...
Audhumla
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 8:58 pm  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

Shutdown2 is slow and lazy???

(dead)-[CfH]-Server Admin but--- because I could not stop for death, He kindly stopped for me
Chance!
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:31 pm  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

Chips wrote:
All right...I'll put it on Friday thru Sunday, an "extended" weekend. Cool

TFC Tech, for those of you who don't know, is a mod that allows your team to vote for different "technologies" at different stages of the game. Votes come up at 2, 5, 10 and 20 minutes into each map. Technologies range from "fast scouts", "strong blue pipes", fast firing HW's, decoy flags and many others. Whatever "tech" gets the most votes from your team, is the one your team gets.

I think I know what you're talking about Snickers...I'll test it out tomorrow. I probably just need to use the standard hlds map vote plug-in and leave admin_access at "0"...so no one can randomly start a vote. This should still allow everyone to vote for or "nominate" the map of their choice; 3 minutes before each map ends.

Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
i'm going out of town thursday night through sunday... i might be able to get on sunday night... leave it on until very late sunday!!!

-[CfH]-Server Admin
Chips
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 2:17 am  Reply with quote
Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

TeKniX wrote:
In my opinion, when a fun server is made its much harder to please everyone. Some people hate the features, others wouldnt play without them. Also, the majority of these "toys" arent properly finished, therefor crashing servers is a common sight. Tis very unfortunate to see all these events unfolding, but each opinion is worth it.

Fear not TeKniX...it's just for the weekend, then it'll be back off. We played it for serveral weeks months ago and it's definitely not something I want to run full time again. But every now and then, it's good for some laughs. This was first and foremost, a fun server. That's why the mics will always reamain open to rag on each other, radios and silly sounds will always be there...some occasionaly hook and fireworks...and our new "kamakaze" plug-in. That sounds like enough fun for everyone without ruining too much of the actual game play.

It'll be on all Sunday night Fly...you'll get your chance... Laughing

Aud...shutdown2, the map, isn't that way. The hook "mode" I chose to use was the slow launching type of hook. Not that instant or swinging hook. That shouldn't "lame up" a rather good map...but will certainly make it more interesting... Wink

The only good game, is a fair game...
Why do we park on driveways and drive on parkways! George Carlin - 1937-2008

-[CfH]-Server Admin
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
gilliam
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 2:58 am  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

swing hook = skill hook ^_^

CorNation
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 3:34 am  Reply with quote
Forum Soldier
Forum Soldier

i personally like hook. its different and i cant play it anywhere else. and it hasnt happened lately but i do get pissed cause sometimes people stack the fireworks in pathways and you cant get through. the really pisses me off. like i said i havent seen it in a while, which is good. but i think hook should be on more. wether your good or bad, hook is flat out fun. to many up tight players when hook is on. have fun with it

Wahoo
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 7:09 am  Reply with quote
Forum Soldier
Forum Soldier

I also muchly prefer the nominating system for voting, there are many reasons for this.

Not only does it allow people to nominate what maps they want to see come up in the next vote easily, but it gives people more of a choice than 5 maps do, and it comes up at random intervals, just in case people are not happy with the current map.

But that is not all, it also makes it so that people cannot start a vote after the first 10 or so minutes, which might also be variable which you can set.

Also, it requires several people to start a vote depending on the number of people in the server, so if one person wants to change maps and the rest are happy with the current map, that one person would be completely unable to start a vote because it would require several other epople to start it before the vote could come up, and even then the map could still be extended.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 11:21 am  Reply with quote

We had a nominating system that was open to all...and it was greatly abused. Every ten minutes, a vote would come up. Invariably, you're going to have someone on the server that doesn't like the map being played and will start a vote...it was constant and annoying. Too many times, the majority of people were enjoying the map being played...and then it gets changed.

I know I said in another thread that I would look into changing it to allow a nomination only at maps end...but my fear is that that will be abused also. Another proplem is the bots. With all the voting plugins available, there isn't one that will discount the bots as players...making it hard to set the ratio that wins the vote.

More and more what I think I want to do is eliminate the garbage maps from the server that no one ever wants to play. This will make the random choice of 5 maps more appealing. Although the conc maps would still be on the server, I want to remove them from the voting as well. Blades server is fine for concing...we don't need them voted for on the main server. But an admin could still put one on if there's few peeps and that's what everyone wants.

I have not been able to find this "nominating" plugin on the adminmod site that Snickers and Adam spoke of in other threads. I can currently use the standard hlds style voting with "admin_acess 0"...so you could nominate a map, but only at the end of the current map. If anyone has this plugin or a link to it...please send it to me...I'll take a look at it.

-[CfH]-Server Admin
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Fjorn
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 2:20 pm  Reply with quote
Forum Sniper
Forum Sniper

Every fun server I have played on has gone 1 of 3 ways... Every one

Some go the way of blades, where the admins turn on noclip/god for themselves and don't for the regular people just playing, and it quickly becomes not-fun

Some go the way of Chip's, they get a large influz of llamas and the admins tighten down just a little and the llamas leave (most of them) but the server is now different than it once was. And people will notice small things like this.

And the rest, don't change. It doesn't matter if noone plays because noone wants to play like that anymore, the admins won't change, and it promptly becomes bot 24/7

-[CfH]-Server Admin
Kirby119
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 10:18 pm  Reply with quote
Forum Soldier
Forum Soldier

I think that maybe the 5 map vote (if we stick with that) requirements to change the map should be lowered. I've seen alot of maps that get alot of votes but somehow doesn't meet the quota, like a map getting 5 votes and needing 6. I don't like that because then we go to a map that no one really likes and we can't change it. Then people who aren't regulars might think this always happens and not come back. That isn't what we want, right?

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 2:11 am  Reply with quote

Well, to be honest...I think we run a pretty strong rotation compared to most servers. There are 12 maps in the cycle. If some of the dustbowl type maps play till the end, that's almost 6 hours of differing play. Most servers don't offer that. Certainly, it takes quite a while for your favorite map to come around again. That's a lot of choice right there.

Most server do not offer any type of voting...what's in their rotation is what you get, like it or not. And sure, some do have fancy voting schemes. At least you do get a choice here. The ratio to win a vote is set at 40%. So if the server is full, 8 votes would be required to change the map. Most times when I see a mapvote fail, it's around 6 that's needed...or 16 players. I think it's a fair ratio. Six players can decide what all 16 will play. At least 3 times tonight when I was playing, a map was voted to be played outside of the regular rotation.

The real trick of it is to "talk" to the others before you all start pressing buttons. If there's only 6 of you on and you all agree on a map, you'll get that map. The problem is no one discusses it first...you have 45 seconds to make a choice. I added many new maps recently. When I see one come up on the list...I immediately say "let's try this new map, we've never played it before". Most times, peeps will follow suit. You can do the same...sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. At least give that a shot. There's been much debate about this topic, and I think it works "fairly" well if the players stick together.

-[CfH]-Server Admin
Audhumla
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 11:09 am  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

One problem that can tend to happen is that if you are not prepared for the vote to come up, you can accidentaly vote for a map when you try to switch weapons, assuming you use the # keys for that.

On other servers I've been on, it's played a sound file saying "Get ready to vote". Would this be possible? It'd reduce the # of accidental votes...

I support anything to do with lowering the bot #

(dead)-[CfH]-Server Admin but--- because I could not stop for death, He kindly stopped for me
Chips
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 12:24 pm  Reply with quote

Audhumla wrote:
On other servers I've been on, it's played a sound file saying "Get ready to vote". Would this be possible? It'd reduce the # of accidental votes...

I support anything to do with lowering the bot #

If you can tell me how they do that, I'd love to know. There is a sound played on our server...but it happens when the vote starts. There is no way to make the sound play before the vote plug-in starts...it's a part of it and happens when it happens.

And you're an admin damit.wav. Stop biatching about the bots and just lower them fool.wav. Laughing

-[CfH]-Server Admin
Snickers
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 2:07 pm  Reply with quote
Forum Soldier
Forum Soldier

get ready to vote is on that nomination plugin silly.

Give that plugin a try...
Chips
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 2:27 pm  Reply with quote

Can someone kindly point me to this plugin...are you sure it's for adminmod. Question

-[CfH]-Server Admin
InfernoWarrior
PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 11:37 am  Reply with quote
Forum Soldier
Forum Soldier

yes the server is getting boring and all that is why u really see me on anymore.we need an admin like Chips to sort things out. but the admin has to be on most of the time.i once played in this server where they had a admin always on 24/7 it was like a bot. it did every thing it need to do. i did something kicked me . then it made me go queit because i said something about it. see we need something like that. chips can't u change how hard the bots are. it will be more challenging and more ppl would go on it. but if they think it is to hard if a admin is there then they can tell them to lower it? )JUst a idea) he he! Good Idea