View next topic
View previous topic
Page 1 of 1
Chips' Fun House Forum Index  ~  Computers  ~  Windows 7 Release Candidate
Chips
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 11:40 am  Reply with quote
Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

I had downloaded the beta several months ago but just never got around to installing it...I had read and heard lots of good things about it.

So..a couple of weeks ago, I got an e-mail from Microsoft (because I dl'ed the beta) stating that the release candidate was available for download. I'd rather work with a RC than a beta any day. So last night, I threw it on a new partition in a dual boot with Win XP.

WOW.....JUST WOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I was blown away by how simple the install was...how it understood, mapped and configured my entire network in a matter of a minute and installed all pertinent drivers except my sound card...which is rather old and I worked around that pretty easily.

The interface is slick and well thought out...very intuitive. The level of customization is amazing. I was easily able to find any setting I wanted to adjust without much looking around...again, very intuitive. Video and graphics were very smooth...even with just basic generic drivers that exist for Win7. The networking tools and apps are outstanding.

I only had time last night to set up the OS...I haven't installed any programs other than AV so far. I played with so many setting and features...I can't even remember them all. But I will report back as I tinker and drool.... Cool

The only good game, is a fair game...
Why do we park on driveways and drive on parkways! George Carlin - 1937-2008

-[CfH]-Server Admin
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Demasu
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 6:57 pm  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

I had a quite a setup going with the beta, and upgraded to the RC last night. So far it's working pretty well. It's become my main OS since my XP drive decided to try and die on me and I haven't quite fixed it yet. Too bad I'll only have a year to use this one before they make it stop working.

RL the ultimate roleplaying experience
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Chips
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 11:59 am  Reply with quote

Since they moved up the release of the final OS to the end of this year...I don't know if they'll leave it functional until July 2010 as originally stated. I sure hope so. Good Idea

I did have some issues with steam and my old video card. Although I reported that video was smooth, I can't run OpenGL...the beta drivers for my rather old video card don't support it. I was able to run in software mode and D3D, neither of which I prefer to OpenGL. However, this is not a problem with the OS, rather my old video card (ATI 9600).

I'm confused as to whether I should just install programs native or install them in a "compatibility mode". Everything I've read says just install and if you have a problem, run in a compatibility mode that you've run the program on before...say...WinXP. I hope alot of programs don't need to be forced this way. Additionally, I was reading last night that MS is making available a WinXP Service Pack3 virtual environment through their Virtual PC application...free of charge. Basically, you can run WinXP in a virtual maching in Win 7...pretty nice. Apps that won't run on Win 7 can be installed in the WinXP virtual machine. BTW...I've found it hard to find info on applications that run well on Win 7...since it's still so new.

Other than some driver issues with my older hardware, I still haven't found much to complain about ...yet. Cool

The only good game, is a fair game...
Why do we park on driveways and drive on parkways! George Carlin - 1937-2008

-[CfH]-Server Admin
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Demasu
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 7:30 pm  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

If it works in Vista, it should work in 7. I just installed and played a little Battlefield 2142, and it gave me a warning that it's only been tested in XP, and it worked fine without using any compatibility mode.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/

You may or may not be able to run the virtual XP. I cannot because my processor doesn't support a feature it needs.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Controlled Chaos
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:32 am  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

I have plans to run this as soon as I get the wifes data off of this computer and on her laptop. I most likely will be running this and a version of OSX so that i fiddle around more on Apple developer software that me and my buddy are working with. I wanted to give 7 a look as I heard good things about it and the look of DX 10 with some games. Im just worried about the way other stuff is goign to work with it and what problems i may run into but then that is half the fun of trying out a new OS no?

Forever Standing United!!!!

-[CfH]-Server Admin
Demasu
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:33 pm  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

You just reminded me I still need to install OS X. I've been having mine lock up instead of sleep lately. Dunno why but I'll definitely be checking the power settings again.