Chips' Fun House Forum Index

View next topic
View previous topic
Page 1 of 7
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Chips' Fun House Forum Index  ~  General Server Notices  ~  Server Closing August 31st - Thanks to all for Playing
Chips
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:50 pm  Reply with quote
Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler
Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

It is with regret that I announce the final week of play on our TFC server.
It will be shut down after this coming Sunday, August 31st. Crying or Very sad

It has been a great run for us...just over four years. Our last year has shown an ever decreasing population on the server, so I suppose this comes as no shock to most. Even our 4th anniversary this past June was so weakly attended, it was inevitable that this would soon happen.

I was reading through the forums this afternoon and even in our 3rd B-day thread from last year there was mention of low player turnout and questions about our future. I suppose the reality of what has happened over time is that most of the players I've met here over the years were rather young; a good majority being of high school age or just into college. It's apparent that our gang has "grown up" and moved on to other games and moved on in life as young adults eager to take on the world...not a ten year old game.

I myself quit playing competitive TFC almost two years ago and have only played now and then on our pub since the beginning of this year. Running this place always meant getting in some good playing time to keep an eye on things. I was so burnt out on the game from doing so that only the draw of playing with good friends kept me playing. Now that those I started playing this game with don't play any longer, it made it harder for me to stay interested as well. Many of us have always said that this place was more about the people than the game. With the people primarily gone, there's just no sense in leaving the server running empty just about all the time. I'll miss the people, not the game so much.

Many of those I refer to have even gone silent here in our forums as well. There are many good friends from our past we don't hear from any more. I hope to at least keep in touch with members past and present to stay informed and involved in our online lives. With our open mic policy, it was easy to get to know individuals on a more personal basis than in most games. I always likened our server to a huge conference call with some gaming on the side. Laughing

That said, it's been a pleasure getting to know all of you, getting to play competitively with many of you and will always remember the good times, late nights and absolute uncertainty of what would happen on any given day when I joined the server. From playing league style with the big boys at night to playing minigolf with the younguns early in the afternoon, there was always something different, enjoyable and truly off the wall about playing here. I hope you'll all remain my best buds and look forward to enjoying different gaming experiences with most of you in the future.

On a happier note...bear in mind how this place started...from my own living room. Surprised
There's no reason we can't play one of many games you folks know I can run a server for on my home connection...TFC (skills or regular play), CS Source, HL2 Deathmatch, Fortress Forever, TF2 and Synergy. We can get together and play any of these (and more if recommended) at any given time of our choosing. Our full time server may be going away, but not our ability to get together and have fun like the old days in one of several different games. The forums will stay open for the foreseeable future, I'll personally cover those costs for at least the next year.

We're not dead...just taking another form. What our community will morph into remains to be seen. Whatever it tuns out to be, I hope it will keep us united. Thanks as always to all those who have helped me over the years...moderators, server admins, web helpers...you all know who you are. Travel these forums and you'll see those I've bestowed accolades upon. I never could have done any of this without help...thanks to all those that contributed...there's just far too many to mention.

I hope you'll all stay engaged in our forums, suggest games and nights to play and keep the spirit of what -[CfH]- meant to you alive. You have all helped me build this place and it'll be up to all of us to ensure this happens.

Viva la -[CfH]- !!! Cool

The only good game, is a fair game...
Why do we park on driveways and drive on parkways! George Carlin - 1937-2008

-[CfH]-Server Admin
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Mr. Happy
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:31 am  Reply with quote
Forum Sniper
Forum Sniper

Out fearless eLeader for four years. Nuff said.

So that means the last night is Sunday on Labor Day. Do you know what time they'd pull the plug? I could certainly be here for a slammin send off party where we pull all the old s**t we used to, fireworks, radios, admin_stacking, screenshots - the works . . .

What other server let's you do stuff like this?? -Chips
-[CfH]-Server Admin
tiger
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:33 am  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

was a fun ride while it lasted. yall should get together sunday night or something for a last night party on the main. yeah what happy said, bastage.wav posted before me.

0:00:35 IsLeS PiPeS-[AF] HW NO CONC AIM - said over enemy team_chat about Yur_Mom 35 seconds into the match Very Happy
-[CfH]-Server Admin
Americanboy3
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:42 am  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

Very well said Chips, very well said. I know that I've disappeared over the last year or so, but I always pop in and out of the forums. But just like Chips said, we all saw this coming. Except I think there's something he forgot.

The server isn't exactly closing because we don't play. It's closing because TFC is a dying game. This is one of the strongest and most amazing online communities I've ever seen. And like Chips said, I hope we can continue to be friends (at least in the online sense). So like Chips said...

Viva la -[CfH]-!!!

-"A man tells his stories so many times that he becomes the stories. They live on through him, and in that way he becomes immortal." -Big Fish
Valkyllias
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:15 am  Reply with quote
Forum Sniper
Forum Sniper

It is quite sad, but expected that the server has to go down. This is the place that actually got me into TFC, I probably wouldn't still be play, and wouldn't be anywhere NEAR as good as I am now, and I'm not that great Razz.

But I totally agree, we should have a big going out party on the server this weekend, and I don't think it'd be unreasonable to make it on Saturday and Sunday, since it is the last time and all.

The Crimson King
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:47 pm  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

to think, it's been 4 years since i first started playing here... that was the beginning of my sophomore year in high school! and now look at us... us little nublets are going off to college, and getting married, and so on and so forth. Smile wear your tags with pride, boys (and girls Razz)!! though the server might be dead, the fun memories on the server we wont soon forget! viva la -[CfH]-!!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Demasu
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:36 pm  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

I will definitely be here Sunday to see the server off to its new life. I wish my schedule didn't suck so. Viva la -[CfH]-!

RL the ultimate roleplaying experience
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Toughsox
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:29 pm  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

As it was said, TFC is what hurt our little home away from home more then anything else. Now a days, unless you want 24/7 2-fort or dustbowl, its hard to find a server playing real maps on a continuous basis..... with people on it.
The couple of still decent servers, Dino's Gas Chamber and Twisted, are all sadly that remain for the most part.

I for one am just as guilty as everyone else, what with real life changing, plus the new responsibilty of taking over the reins (with Obi) of the entire G4B2S Community, its harder then ever to just be able to fire up a game and play it.

But Mr Chips said it best, it was ALWAYS about the people here. No matter when you logged on, you knew EVERYONE.....and those that were new to our home here were quickly embraced.

As for me, I was one of the holdouts that refused to budge from Keegs, hoping that would never die....but coming here to CfH made me feel right at home.

Thus, for me, if were doing a Sunday bash, I'll clear my schedule and join in for the fun.

THANK YOU Mr Chips and to EVERYONE that has made the last 4 years of TFC a great pleasure to be a part of. Smile

Dont mistake my kindness as a sign of weakness!!!!
Offense doesn't win matches.......big friggin' guns do !!! Ole' Painless FTW !!!
-[CfH]-Server Admin
Audhumla
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:03 pm  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

the server is going to crash during the party and not come back up ~ thus spake the prophet audhumla

(dead)-[CfH]-Server Admin but--- because I could not stop for death, He kindly stopped for me
Torturedevice
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:03 pm  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

Wow, this is basically the end then. I feel like the day this server goes away, that will be the day tfc will die, at least for me. It's insane to think about how long I've been playing this game and meeting good people to play with on a completely random basis. The addiction for one awesome game brought us together, and we flipped off the cs players like a bunch of ravenous vandals. It's people like us who kept the game alive for so long, and frankly I'm completely satisfied with how long it lasted. I mean seriously, how long did you expect it to last? I thought it was going to be dead 3 years ago and it's still here....barely Shocked It's been real, and to think I actual met and hung out with a few of you. Shocked Shocked Chips has been an amazing host for all of these years, and to think It was Chips, Gil, Myself, and a few others in the very beginning. It's been pretty spectacular playing with you all over these years. We should definately have a reunion somewhere. PEACE YALL.
Falcon
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:10 pm  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

Been a good run guys and gals...i remember when chips told me about this place via email on keegs forums 3 yrs ago. Lotta late nights were the best along w/ the people we had. Everyone who has been around for the ride has grown up and grown into their own. There's alot that can be said, but most of us kno.

Like i said before a few times, the server may be dead, but the community isnt. We still have teams and some of us still pub around, so w/ that...Payce -[CfH]- server and thank you Chips.

Wink

--- Pete + Sam + Dean = chevelle = teh greatest ---

-[CfH]-Server Admin
Mr. Happy
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:32 am  Reply with quote
Forum Sniper
Forum Sniper

What is the map that most defined this server?? I know there are plenty, but if you had to pick just one . . .

What other server let's you do stuff like this?? -Chips
-[CfH]-Server Admin
The Crimson King
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:46 am  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

2fort! duh. lol either that or late nights on freefall4 with rockets and hook.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Chance!
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:26 am  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

It has been a great 4 years, I think. I'm glad to have played with everyone. As sad as it will be to see the server go down, our community definately won't (anyone and everyone is encouraged to join our Steam Friends group, as well as can join the group of us that are pretty much always on xfire). With the update to steam friends, we can probably actually organize some events if we decide to.

Mr. Happy wrote:
What is the map that most defined this server?? I know there are plenty, but if you had to pick just one . . .

cfhhide! the official CfH map! (admittedly not that popular, but its OUR map)... kinda like axl would have to be defined by axlvote.

Thanks to chips for running the server for us all this time!

-[CfH]-Server Admin
Creamy White Sponge
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:09 pm  Reply with quote
Forum Sniper
Forum Sniper

September will be a dark month Sad

Adam Reece
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number