Chips' Fun House Forum Index

View next topic
View previous topic
Page 1 of 1
Chips' Fun House Forum Index  ~  Our Clubhouse - General Discussion  ~  what i do for a living (aka, why i've been gone.)
The Crimson King
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 9:38 pm  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

hey folks! just telling you guys that i'm still around, i do make random posts, but i haven't played on steam for the better part of 2 months... so i decided to show you guys what i do for a living! I'm a soon-to-be electrician's apprentice at the Omaha Community Playhouse, just 44 hours away from my 600 needed to be a full apprentice. i've also done some carpentry work, and i'm training to become a high steel rigger with the local stagehand union.

sorry, some of the pictures are a little blurry, took the majority of them with my cellphone.

this is from one of the last shows we did, Company the Musical, constructing the back of what's supposed to be a Skyline, which ended up looking like this:

the last show i did, Shakespeare in Hollywood, i ran followspot for, sitting in the catwalk, crouching over a spotlight, with a pretty decent view:

another shot, during a rehersal. i helped build the tree in the center stage, which has ends that shoot out glitter and smoke:

and this last picture is from my rigging class. what you DON'T see is the 70 foot long chain that's dropping down 69 feet to the ground, which i pulled up and tied off on the I-beam. that stuff gets really heavy, really fast.

the next time i do this, the I-beam will be a real one, stretching across the Qwest Center, 98 feet off the ground, on a six inch beam (this one was twelve) wearing a body harness clipped onto wires. strange thing is, i'm terrified of heights. lol

there'll be plenty more as i keep going with this!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Controlled Chaos
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 11:55 pm  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

Awesome! I know the kind of fun you will have. For about a week i was working in the warehouse where they are building the sets for the new Martin Scorses film they are shooting in Boston. It was interesting to see some of the stuff that they make and how realistic they can make something made from wood and styrafoam.

I like that picture of you sitting on an I-Beam. Not to long ago I had to climb to the top of the stage at the Harvard Theater house and when I got up there I was hoping that the 100+ year old grating I was standing on wasn't to old as the 60 foot drop might hurt a little bit. Shocked

getting up that high is fun just looking down doesn't help keep it fun for to long. Very Happy

Forever Standing United!!!!

-[CfH]-Server Admin
Audhumla
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 12:44 am  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

theater is undeniably awesome

(dead)-[CfH]-Server Admin but--- because I could not stop for death, He kindly stopped for me
Nuck Ulsamytch
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 8:14 pm  Reply with quote
Forum Soldier
Forum Soldier

Huh, i always thought u were a pimp. Maybe that's what u used to do? Question Good to hear u r doin something w/your life, unlike me. Embarassed

-[CfH]-Server Admin
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Chance!
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 9:24 pm  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

sweet TCK.
glad to hear things are goin well for you too.

-[CfH]-Server Admin