View previous topic
Page 1 of 1
Chips' Fun House Forum Index  ~  Computers  ~  CHIP fan failure
Audhumla
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:21 pm  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

sup.
I have an ASUS A8N SLI Deluxe mobo and when I turned my computer on just now, my BIOS thing told me the CHIP fan died. A little digging told me this means the fan on my motherboard died and this is a common problem with my motherboard. I haven't had a problem with it before. What do I do? Just buy a new fan? A new heatsink? Will ASUS replace it? aahhhhh

also are passive heatsinks worth buying? I play games but never intend to overclock.

(dead)-[CfH]-Server Admin but--- because I could not stop for death, He kindly stopped for me
Demasu
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:44 pm  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

I'd just get another fan. But that's me.

RL the ultimate roleplaying experience
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Audhumla
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:48 pm  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

Are fans/passive heatsinks expensive? Could anyone recommend a good one that an idiot like me could install and is compatible with an ASUS A8N SLI Deluxe?

(dead)-[CfH]-Server Admin but--- because I could not stop for death, He kindly stopped for me
Audhumla
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:32 pm  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

e: do any smart people know if this
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118014
is good

Howling Man is 1337
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:32 pm  Reply with quote
Forum Soldier
Forum Soldier

see what you have to do is fill up your computer with insulation foam so that it can't get hot problem solved lol

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Audhumla
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:52 pm  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

actually some people turn aquariums into oil-cooled computers. oil doesn't conduct electricity. but that doesnt help me you smarmy bastard

Chips
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:33 pm  Reply with quote
Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler
Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Read some of the reviews... Wink

Seems you better make sure you have the room...and if you're no good with tiny parts...stay away from this. Surprised

The only good game, is a fair game...
Why do we park on driveways and drive on parkways! George Carlin - 1937-2008

-[CfH]-Server Admin
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
gilliam
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:24 pm  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

dude! give me back my mainboard... and my heatsink!

thats the combo i use, except its the straight square pins version of that zalman passive cooler.

zalman saved my cpu on my last comp. i was messing around in it and forgot to reconnect my cpu fan. the zalman cpu cooler("flower" heatsink, like the chip one you posted) helped radiate the heat up and away frm the cpu. i experienced excessive errors and crashes for a few minutes but no cracking cpu.

Audhumla
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:13 pm  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

okay i turned it on again, and the fan on the heatsink IS ON, but it seems slow and it told me it wasn't on

i dont even know anymore

i want to replace it anyway, somehow, and i have a physically large GPU (Radeon X800 XT) but its physically below it by what looks like a few inches.

like this

basically im fine with a replacement fan too, for a 3800+ or a whole new tihng or whatever, i just wanna be sure to get the right thing and i am at a loss for anything becuase i am a stupid

people keep saing Zalman ZM-NB47J Northbridge Cooler
but i dont even know what northbridge means. if its something that doesnt go on top of the processor it wont fit anywhere in my box

Audhumla
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:15 pm  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

never mind anything in that last post

i was looking at the fan on my processor.

Audhumla
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:20 am  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

the fan on my mobo is still dead though. flicking it starts it. nothing in it is running hot at all. All temps between 27 and 40C

gilliam
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:34 pm  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

The northbridge typically handles communications between the CPU, RAM, AGP or PCI Express, and the southbridge.
[i]The name is derived from drawing the architecture in the fashion of a map. The CPU would be at the top of the map at due north.[/]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northbridge (forum link formatting doesnt like wiki's link style, click this one, then click the top wiki link).

Audhumla
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:57 pm  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

yeah i found the fan and where it is i just dont think anything bigger than that canf it in it so i need a fan replacement

The Crimson King
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:27 am  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8013339&st=computer+fan&lp=5&type=product&cp=1&id=1156203596895

make sure you have the spots to plug it into though. my friend uses one of these, it's pretty nifty, especially if you have space issues. just aim it at the northbridge, and you should be fine. Fans aren't there to force cool air onto the piece, they force out the hot stale air around the piece. if your computer has good circulation (fan in front, fan in back, flowing in the same direction) you should be just fine.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger