View previous topic
Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Chips' Fun House Forum Index  ~  Our Forum Members  ~  Falling down
Chips
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:15 pm  Reply with quote
Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler
Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

By the time I was bird's age...I had lost seven friends from my graduating class to drug overdoses. That's right...they were dead. Surprised

I never hang out with those people, but I did socialize with others that did. They didn't stay my friends too long after high school either. I wasn't a saint at that time in my life...but I wasn't hard core like them either. These are not the people you want to associate with. Gill makes a very good point that "friends" have your best interest in mind. Dragging you into things you don't wish to be involved with any more is definitely not in your best interest. You seem to have grown up a little before them...you're making the wise choice. Good Idea

I can't believe I'm saying that Gill makes sense. Laughing

Side note: I wouldn't give my WIFE 20G...let along a friend. See what drugs do. Shocked

The only good game, is a fair game...
Why do we park on driveways and drive on parkways! George Carlin - 1937-2008

-[CfH]-Server Admin
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Howling Man is 1337
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:21 pm  Reply with quote
Forum Soldier
Forum Soldier

It's threads like these that really make me love coming back to these forums. A bunch of dudes (and dudettes) who have never met in real life (for the most part), and never done much else than play video games together can come together in this great community where nobody is here to hurt or to ridicule or to make fun, but just to be cool.

Bird, I'm at about your age too (going on 19). I've never been too mixed up with drugs or alcohol but I do understand what you mean about coming to the realization that in order to grow up, you gotta take the initiative yourself. For the longest time last year I sat around waiting for some magical day where I would wake up and my whole mindset would be different. Towards the end of 2007 I realized that I had to mature myself, and to do this I had to take my own life by the reigns instead of just sitting and letting life push me around.

When you let life just throw you around however it wants and if your mindset is one of just "I'm only along for the ride", then you will eventually fall to the bottom. You have a lot of control over where you want your life to end up. We all have more power over the outcome of our own lives than we even realize at times. And while you may feel trapped in some downward spiral or some vicious cycle of depression or drugs or financial loss or whatever it may be, it's good to remember that in the end, it's what you do that sets you above everything else.

I guess what you really want to do is look at your future, decide what you want it to be, and then choose the best course of action to get there. You do have the power to make it what you want. Kicking old habits is always tough- but habits are just habits. Drugs are just drugs, but you are a person. Be stubborn about it, take up another vice if you have to.
Remember that habits are breakable. You just have to start now. Later never comes.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
CORRAN
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:03 pm  Reply with quote
Forum Soldier
Forum Soldier

Bird, I do not know you, but I would like to congratulate you for having the courage to speak about your personal issues and seeking advice.

I personally have not gone through what you are going through to the same degree, but to a lesser one. You have already realized that there is a problem and analysed your enviroment (friends, family etc.). It's better to do something about it now than later, for over time it will be increasingly difficult. It will most likely not be easy, and may require you to make sacrifices, such as leaving friends that you deem to be a part of the problem or friends that you believe cannot be saved. It would be a good idea to see if your friends (if any) feel the same way, even in the tiniest way, you could also save them from themselves.

It's best to find people to support you through this time of positive personal change, people you can meet in person if you can. Having this means for discussion or venting will greatly increase your chances of success.

Although, at first, you may be saddened/angered (or a variety of other emotions) by some changes you feel that you are required to make to meet your goals, realize that other doors will open for you in many aspects of your life, ones that may not have been available to you in your previous social enviroment.

Your friends will always support you in any endeavor that brings positive change to your life. I hope that these responses aid you in some fashion in your descision process. To quote a famous American: "Action and reaction, ebb and flow, trial and error, change - this is the rhythm of living. Out of our over-confidence, fear; out of our fear, clearer vision, fresh hope. And out of hope, progress."

Best wishes and hopes for success.

Audhumla
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:17 am  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

You can do it.

(dead)-[CfH]-Server Admin but--- because I could not stop for death, He kindly stopped for me
G-Baby
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:59 am  Reply with quote
Forum Soldier
Forum Soldier

Hey Bird,
Now I've never done any drugs, but I believe I can relate a little bit. Throughout high school I was unbelieveably lazy with school not realizing how important it was. When I joined the Air Force I left everything I've ever known. I was starting a new life, which was scary. I truly found out who my real friends were by those who kept in contact with me. Living and adjusting to a new area was rough on me. I was lonely and spent a lot of time on the computer. It wasn't until I met my current girlfriend (that I've been dating for over two years) that I've tried to better myself. If not for myself, but at least for her. We had a lot of rough patches in the very beginning, because I was playing perhaps 4 to 5 matches a week. I was addicted. I would miss out on parties, hardly sleep, and have no goals insight. I had to learn to break away. I had to realize my potential to succeed in life. It helps to have someone have your back all the way, and I hope your girlfriend can help you Bird. I'm here for you.