Chips' Fun House Forum Index

View next topic
View previous topic
Page 1 of 5
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Chips' Fun House Forum Index  ~  General Server Notices  ~  Something You Should All Know....
Chips
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:50 pm  Reply with quote
Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

An e-mail I just sent to our server host....

Quote:
Pat,

I haven't spoken to you since we discussed two new servers for FF and TF2. There was no support from our community...especially of the financial kind. I've deleted both as I'm sure you've seen.

This could very well be the last payment for the TFC server as well. We have far less players now and without support, I can't promise you that we'll run it after March. I still have my hopes up though.

What I'll be working on the next few weeks is fundraising for the TFC server and hopefully, enough monetary support for a FF server after their next patch comes out. I'm hoping it will bring back the players from this almost dead mod.

I'll be calling you in the next few weeks to discuss these efforts. I plan and hope to continue doing business with you. Thanks for your support so far. I'll be in touch.

Regards,

Eric (Chips)

The payment I just sent him pays us through March. We, as a community, need to decide if we want to keep our server up and running past that.

What say ye Question

The only good game, is a fair game...
Why do we park on driveways and drive on parkways! George Carlin - 1937-2008

-[CfH]-Server Admin
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
-SoldierBoy-
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:10 pm  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

As much as I've enjoyed playing TFC with this community, TF2 is my new game and I really doubt I'd be on the TFC server much.

Falcon
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:46 pm  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

i still play TFC, not as much, but i've been on the main at night quite a bit recently and we still do have a 5v team and now 7v team also...but anyway, TFC is still my game and until it's completely dead, I really have no desire to play TF2 or FF honestly.

--- Pete + Sam + Dean = chevelle = teh greatest ---

-[CfH]-Server Admin
Chance!
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:03 pm  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

while I still enjoy TFC, I really can't see myself joining a server that isn't populated. If i see a good 6 people on CfH, I'll normally join, but getting that many people on has gotten a lot more rare.
I really don't want to see us stop, but its something the community should probably decide.

-[CfH]-Server Admin
Valkyllias
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:49 pm  Reply with quote
Forum Sniper
Forum Sniper

I recently started playing on the main more(when my internet lets me), and I'd like to see it stay. It's true that people don't play on it as much, a lot of people say it's cause of they don't want to play with bots. Now, I'm not suggesting getting rid of them, but maybe change the minimum to 12 instead of 16. That way, people who don't mind bots at all will join, and once a few of them are in, people who don't mind some bots will join, and once a few of them are in, people who don't mind a few bots will join, and once a few of them are in, there won't be any bots in the server, and everyone else will join.

I know that's not actually how it's going to work, but it might be worth a shot?

Dark Applepolisher
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:59 pm  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

I figure it'd probably be best if we made this decision given a month or 2, but at this rate, I think it'd probably die. :-\

-[CfH]-Server Admin
Falcon
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:46 pm  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

valk started up another bot count discussion... Embarassed

-[CfH]-Server Admin
Toughsox
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:03 pm  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

Im torn by the fact that I try to play TFC every night or two, and I ALWAYS check CfH first...sadly, its usually empty, sans 1-2 real people. I really would hate to see CfH go, as its been a home away from home ever since Keegs died. Sadly, I dont think TFC has much life left in it with the advent of FF and TF2. I sure hope Im wrong.

Dont mistake my kindness as a sign of weakness!!!!
Offense doesn't win matches.......big friggin' guns do !!! Ole' Painless FTW !!!
-[CfH]-Server Admin
sean
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:49 pm  Reply with quote
Forum Scout
Forum Scout

i personally would really hate to see the cfh server go

hell, if the TFC thing isn't working out, make a main server for FF or TF2.. i think more people now have TF2, or FF we'll start eventually getting a lot of people, and i just recently reinstalled tfc so whenever the server is full i join

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:30 am  Reply with quote
Forum Soldier
Forum Soldier

tfwhat?

if we do let go of the server, let's at least have one day where we all get in there for one last awesome session of awesomeness

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mr. Happy
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:09 am  Reply with quote
Forum Sniper
Forum Sniper

Check this out from the Twisted Network. It's displayed on the right side of their forums:
TF2 Donations

Total Monthly Cost

Game Server: $76.80/month
Map Website: $14.95/month Total Cost: $91.75/month

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Since 2007-09-01

# Months Billed: 4
Total Server Cost: USD 367.00
Next Payment Due: 2008-01-31

Total Donations: USD 902.68
Paypal Fees: USD 14.42

Current Balance:
USD 521.26
Balance After Payment:
USD 446.26

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last 5 Donations

illegal - USD 20.00
Wiseman - USD 25.00
Webmaster - USD 543.68
BrainFreeze - USD 10.00
Anonymous - USD 20.00
Other Info

Total # Donations: 13
Total # Donators: 10

Average Donation: USD 29.92

Biggest Donation: USD 114.00

What other server let's you do stuff like this?? -Chips
-[CfH]-Server Admin
Chips
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:32 am  Reply with quote

In our 3 1/2 years of existance...we were lucky in that we were hosted for free by myself for the first 7 months...crackhead Milton (for those who remember him) for another 3 or 4 and our current server host for approximately another 7 months. However, the remaining two year period...the monetary costs of this place has been the burden of but a handful of people.

Over the last year...yes, I said the last year...we've had 5 contributions totaling $360.00. That only pays for 9 months of server costs. I've been personally paying the costs for the server hosting company that hosts our forums, maps for fast download and website.

sean...I already had servers for both TF2 and FF up and running for over a month a little while back. No one played and no one offered financial support. Guess you can figure out why they're not up any more. Sad

Strategy was the only reason I used 16 bots. Despite claims by the server ranking sites that they don't count bots...they in fact do. This kept our ranking high and anyone looking for a well ranked server would always find us near the top. Despite our low player turnout these days...we are still the 13th ranked TFC server in the entire USA...29th worldwide. Considering the circumstances...perhaps it would be wise at this point to reduce their number. BTW...the FF community is BEGGING for bots to be released. Don't hate on the bots...they've been our friends as I hope you now all understand.

I started this server to play with friends I met at Keegs, not necessarily to play TFC. Does that make any sense? I don't care if we play Peggle...I played this game to play with my friends. Although I love this game, the game didn't much matter. That small handful of friends I met at Keegs mushroomed into a group numbering in the hundreds...that's what I'll truly miss in the end. Crying or Very sad

Populating our server is our communities responsibility. To say you won't join because there's little to no one there is the cause. Join...and they will come. Cool

-[CfH]-Server Admin
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Falcon
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:14 am  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

If you join...they will come...

-[CfH]-Server Admin
tiger
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:06 pm  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

yeah but chips, who the hell checks server rankings in tfc? i just never quite got that argument, maybe everyone else checks them.

despite turning away from ff, i kinda wish it was doing better. i can see ff turning into a more populated mod after they fix all the bugs and problems that drove most of the ffers away in the first place. i see alot of people becoming bored with tf2s gameplay now, was fun at first but now its just boring for alot which i could see driving them away and if the problems that initially drove these people away from ff were fixed, praps ff could flourish after all.

0:00:35 IsLeS PiPeS-[AF] HW NO CONC AIM - said over enemy team_chat about Yur_Mom 35 seconds into the match Very Happy
-[CfH]-Server Admin
Chips
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:27 pm  Reply with quote

Falcon wrote:
If you join...they will come...
Oddly enough...tiger told me this several times and I never believed him. But now I do. Surprised

I still don't get that. I'm not that good, I can be crabby at times...but the last few times I've joined...we fill up pretty quick. Everyone probably just loves to kill the server operator. Wink

tiger also points out something I eluded to in another thread...TF2's luster is wearing off. I was shocked to see how few clans are actually playing...according to the UGC site. There's only a handfull in the highlander and 8v ranks. I thought these leagues were MUCH larger.

Also...FF appears to be nearing 2.0 release. This could change some things. I sure hope so as that's the mod I'm rooting for going forward. When our main server disappears (it will SOME day even if not soon), many of us have high speed connections that can support a more than adequate server to put up now and then and frag. Perhaps we'll just become a guild of part time servers for the games we feel like playing on any particular day. Wink

-[CfH]-Server Admin