Chips' Fun House Forum Index

View next topic
View previous topic
Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Chips' Fun House Forum Index  ~  Computers  ~  Problem accessing files...
Americanboy3
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:57 pm  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

So for the past few days, I have not been able to open my program files folder. This is a shared computer and my account is the admin, however, the other accounts are able to open and access all the applications and files in my program files folder; I am not Crying or Very sad

Any help is appreciated

-"A man tells his stories so many times that he becomes the stories. They live on through him, and in that way he becomes immortal." -Big Fish
Chips
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:30 am  Reply with quote
Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Check the permissions on the folder. Right click>>properties>>security tab. Rolling Eyes

The only good game, is a fair game...
Why do we park on driveways and drive on parkways! George Carlin - 1937-2008

-[CfH]-Server Admin
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Americanboy3
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:33 am  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

All the tickers are not enabled. It says "All the options on this tab are disabled because this folder is used by the operating system."

-"A man tells his stories so many times that he becomes the stories. They live on through him, and in that way he becomes immortal." -Big Fish
Mr. Happy
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:10 pm  Reply with quote
Forum Sniper
Forum Sniper

My Computer . . . Tools . . . Folder Options . . . View Tab.

Make sure Hide Protected Operating System files checkbox is cleared and Hidden Files and Folders set to Show.

What other server let's you do stuff like this?? -Chips
-[CfH]-Server Admin
Americanboy3
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:26 pm  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

Didn't do anything.

Mr. Happy
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:35 pm  Reply with quote
Forum Sniper
Forum Sniper

Crazy, but let's start from scratch. Check that your user account is in the Administrators Group. Right click My Computer, click Manage. Click Local Users and Groups.

Also, right click the folder in question and be sure Hidden is not checked for some reason. Then check the Sharing Tab and tell us/screen print what's there.

-[CfH]-Server Admin
Mr. Happy
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:48 pm  Reply with quote
Forum Sniper
Forum Sniper

Be careful with this! cacls is a CLI tool to view/edit/modify file and directory ACL's (if you don't know what that means, don't mess with it).

Open a command prompt, make the folder in question the current directory. Type the following and report back:

"cacls ." (cacls space dot, no quotes).

"cacls . /s" (cacls space dot space slash s, no quotes)

You should see
C:\Program Files Everyone:(OI)(CI)F

-[CfH]-Server Admin
Americanboy3
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:52 pm  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

Well for starters there's no local users when I click on Manage. However going to check the users through the Control Panel, it says I am an admin.

Next here's what it says when right clicking the on 'Program Files' and going to the 'Sharing' Tab.

Mr. Happy
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 4:23 am  Reply with quote
Forum Sniper
Forum Sniper

Mr. Happy wrote:
Check that your user account is in the Administrators Group. Right click My Computer, click Manage. Click Local Users and Groups.

Is this computer part of a domain?
I'll assume not, until the last line below:
When you get to Local Users and Groups, click Users in the left pane and at least Administrator should show up in the right pane. Anyway, click Groups on the left and double click Administrators on the right. Your account should be in that group. If not, we've found your problem. If you're part of a network and you log in with your network ID, that User (domain/username) should be in the Admin Group.

If this doesn't do it, PM me and I'll send you my cell number.

-[CfH]-Server Admin
Americanboy3
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:04 pm  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

Alright so I still can't access stuff and it is pissing me off. Anyone got any ideas?

Chips
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:43 pm  Reply with quote

The problem may very well be in your registry...something you shouldn't mess with if you don't know what you're doing.

Windows is notorious for screwing up registry permissions over time. This is especially true if more than one person accesses their e-mail on the same machine. You dont' have to have separate user accounts for this to happen. Separate e-mail profiles can do this to a windows machine...again, over time. I only have the one account on my machine...and of course, it's an admin account. I just installed the latest Nero burning software and it kept failing saying certain dll's couldn't be registered.

Sure enough, I went though the registry where the setting for Nero were...and I didn't have the proper permissions for those registry keys. Shocked Confused Surprised

I set the permissions correctly and whallah...it installed perfectly. If this isn't a setting in windows itself like Happy suggested...it could very well be your registry is screwed somehow.

My windows installation is running over 5 years without a reinstall. How old is your windows install?

The only good game, is a fair game...
Why do we park on driveways and drive on parkways! George Carlin - 1937-2008

-[CfH]-Server Admin
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Americanboy3
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:01 am  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

Oh dear God. It must be 4 or 5 years old now.

tiger
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:29 am  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

OMG WAIT!!!! i had this problem a few days ago and it was a virus. i used an online scan and voila! however i dont know if the other windows accounts were able to get into it. wouldnt hurt to try.

http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

0:00:35 IsLeS PiPeS-[AF] HW NO CONC AIM - said over enemy team_chat about Yur_Mom 35 seconds into the match Very Happy
-[CfH]-Server Admin
Americanboy3
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:14 pm  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

Tried that Tiger, and it removed some files, but I still can't access my program files..

tiger
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:27 pm  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

what did you scan with?

0:00:35 IsLeS PiPeS-[AF] HW NO CONC AIM - said over enemy team_chat about Yur_Mom 35 seconds into the match Very Happy
-[CfH]-Server Admin