Chips' Fun House Forum Index

View next topic
View previous topic
Page 1 of 1
Chips' Fun House Forum Index  ~  Internet Tech  ~  Wireless Internet Problem...
|2eflex
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:41 pm  Reply with quote
Forum Sniper
Forum Sniper

So, I want to connect to the wireless internet at my school off of my laptop, but it seems that only macs can connect via wireless. I have an IBM Thinkpad T43p and was wondering if anyone can help me log onto the school's wireless network in order to access the internet at my lesiure.

Any Ideas/Thoughts/Suggestions?

PS. I know the password and I have tested it on Macs and Macbooks, it works. In addition I do SEE the network and "connect" to the network, but I have no network or internet access. My wireless tray icon says it has connected, but it really isn't I guess...

"No Grease"
The Crimson King
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:29 am  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

your school might have a MAC address (it's a fingerprint for your network card) filter, that only lets certain computers on. that's impossible to get passed unless you get into their server/router (not recommended... at all..)

other than that, i have no real experience with Apple products, so i couldn't tell you if it's any different from how PCs connect.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Demasu
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:47 am  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

It shouldn't be any different from the way PCs connect, but I can't tell you what to do.

RL the ultimate roleplaying experience
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
|2eflex
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:31 pm  Reply with quote
Forum Sniper
Forum Sniper

The Crimson King wrote:
your school might have a MAC address (it's a fingerprint for your network card) filter, that only lets certain computers on. that's impossible to get passed unless you get into their server/router (not recommended... at all..)

other than that, i have no real experience with Apple products, so i couldn't tell you if it's any different from how PCs connect.

Well, it lets ANY MAC get on that knows the password, but PC Laptops don't work, even with the right password...

"No Grease"
Mr. Happy
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:46 am  Reply with quote
Forum Sniper
Forum Sniper

Any Mac's? Does the school issue Mac's to students? And people's personal laptops work also?

Normally, you just need a DHCP issued IP address to talk on the network. However, there's the issue of Internet proxy (how they're administering access to the Interweb). Perhaps that user name and password dialog box or web page are hosted on a Mac-based or Mac-aware platform?

I'm not a Mac guy, but I wouldn't think it too hard to limit access by OS type. Find the school IT guy and ask . . .

What other server let's you do stuff like this?? -Chips
-[CfH]-Server Admin