View previous topic
Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Chips' Fun House Forum Index  ~  Computers  ~  vista or xp
tiger
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:56 pm  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

I am going to try to get a laptop for christmas. I was wondering as to whether or not vista is ok yet or if it still isnt worth it and to just get xp. I know vista is a memory hog and i cant afford more than 2 gigs of ram really and ive heard that even 2 gigs is just ok for vista. Opinions? Question

0:00:35 IsLeS PiPeS-[AF] HW NO CONC AIM - said over enemy team_chat about Yur_Mom 35 seconds into the match Very Happy
-[CfH]-Server Admin
Dark Applepolisher
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 2:13 pm  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

2 gigs should be enough to run Vista comfortably.

-[CfH]-Server Admin
kibblesnbits
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 4:57 pm  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

XP

www.GuildWarsRealm.net GG site
Chips
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 7:47 pm  Reply with quote
Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

If you don't have a concern with hooking up to older gear (printers, scanners etc) like I do, I'd go with Vista. Dell had stopped offering XP, and now offers it again after sales slumped some. I have much gear that I don't trust Vista to deal with fully or smoothly. Nor do I like it's annoying security. It's really just a fancy new interface, some new networking tools and not much more than XP.

2 gigs of ram should run Vista just fine...again, if you don't have any concerns with legacy devices, I'd give it a try. Neutral

The only good game, is a fair game...
Why do we park on driveways and drive on parkways! George Carlin - 1937-2008

-[CfH]-Server Admin
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
tiger
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 11:56 pm  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

Well I don't really know much about Vista. The only thing i wouldn't mind having is the Aero feature. What other features and tools does Vista have over XP and is there a way to get the Aero feature on XP? I guess I'm looking for a list of pros and cons for Vista for now.

0:00:35 IsLeS PiPeS-[AF] HW NO CONC AIM - said over enemy team_chat about Yur_Mom 35 seconds into the match Very Happy
-[CfH]-Server Admin
ksix
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 9:33 am  Reply with quote
Forum Scout
Forum Scout

Vista Pros: User interface, Direct X10, more secure "out of the box", will be around a LONG time. (Last windows version???)
Vista Cons: Some of your old software and hardware may break, runs "non-Vista" apps in a "special way" (sandbox), your friends can't help you when it gets fubar.

XP Pros: Runs your current programs, everybody knows it, safe bet.
XP Cons: Still made by Micro$oft, hard to get on a new computer, no Direct X 10.

I still run XP. My friends who have new Vista systems don't like it. But folks bitched about XP when it came out too.

If you only have 1 computer, and expect to run it for 4 or 5 years, I say bite the bullet and get Vista. It might be painful at first, but your games will be able to use Direct X10, 11, 12, etc. etc. etc.

Chips
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:48 pm  Reply with quote

The only real pro for Vista, in my opinion, is DX10. The interface, I could care less about. In fact, I have all my XP machines (5) running with all the fancy graphical stuff turned off. Looks and feels very much like win 98. Your machine will run faster for it without all the fading, shadows and animations.

XP is not as hard to get on a new comp as you may think. As I already said, Dell started selling the OS again due to demand. In fact, most popular computer builders are asking more $$'s for XP than Vista on installations.

XP is rock solid, works with all my gear...and I know it intimately, I've had ONE crash in six years of running it on all my machines. Only DX10 would entice me to give Vista a try. Neutral

The only good game, is a fair game...
Why do we park on driveways and drive on parkways! George Carlin - 1937-2008

-[CfH]-Server Admin
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
suicide_kid
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 3:07 pm  Reply with quote
Forum Trolls
Forum Trolls

I you want the Aero feature - Don't get "Home Basic" being it is not included. If you are going with Vista make sure you get at least "Home Premium"

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/features/default.mspx

Check out the Compare Editions link for a breakdown of included features per version...
gilliam
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 9:18 pm  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

use XP.

vista IS a memory hog and will use no less than 500MB of your precious ram JUST for bare minimum graphics and with everything tuned down and on the classic "win98" visual style.

remember, win95 ran on only 4MB ram.

Nerve-ana
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:37 pm  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

Two of my friends got new laptops this year with Vista..and it sucks. I recommend getting XP Professional i hooked it up on both of my friends PC's runs 200000 times better without all the gay effects of Vista.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:48 am  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

any word on when a possible vista sp1 would be released?

-[CfH]-Server Admin
Demasu
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:39 pm  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

Nerve-ana wrote:
Two of my friends got new laptops this year with Vista..and it sucks. I recommend getting XP Professional i hooked it up on both of my friends PC's runs 200000 times better without all the gay effects of Vista.

I personally like Media Center better. It has made getting some 500+ pictures off my camera and naming them easier. That and it'll play dvd's without any additional software, which was good when I couldn't find the software I needed when I first got this computer.

RL the ultimate roleplaying experience
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
The Crimson King
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:25 am  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

how bout both? get a large hard drive, partition it in two, and have a windows XP half and a Vista half. learn vista, but still have the comforts of something you've known for a while. *shrugs* but if you don't want to pay for it, i completely understand lol. some computers with XP give the the option of making restore disks (compaq does at least). all you'd have to do is get it formatted in two and use the backup disks on one of the partitions.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
tiger
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:33 am  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

guess my question was answered.

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9052738&intsrc=hm_list

-[CfH]-Server Admin
Mr. Happy
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:31 am  Reply with quote
Forum Sniper
Forum Sniper

Every computer I've seen advertised lately either comes with Vista or XP Pro with a "Free Upgrade to Vista" option.

What other server let's you do stuff like this?? -Chips
-[CfH]-Server Admin