View previous topic
Page 1 of 5
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Chips' Fun House Forum Index  ~  Our Clubhouse - General Discussion  ~  Anime
optic
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:38 pm  Reply with quote
Forum Scout
Forum Scout

When I was growing up, I never understood it. I had seen a few episodes of different series, but never got into it. Lots of people who have never given anime a real chance think that they're all silly kid shows like dragon ball or pokemon. Or that they're all hentai, and I think we can all agree cartoon sex is pretty strange even if the girls in it are kinda hot. But I've quickly realized that this is not the case. At all. Most anime series are AWESOME. With great stories full of twists and turns, characters you learn to care for or even relate with, and endings that give you closure but still wanting more. I have to admit that some anime series and movies I have seen are better than 99% of any american movies are animated shows.

Over the past year or two I've been watching a TON of anime and now have a huge archive of series that I bought. To just name a few of my favorites: Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo, Basilisk, Desert Punk, Samurai 7, Ninja Scroll, Kiras, Witch Hunter Robin, Speed Grapher, FMA, Trinity Blood, Wolfs Rain, Ergo Proxy (still waiting for the rest to come out on DVD) and so many others. I'm actually in the middle of watcing a series now called Death Note. It's INTENSE. I first saw it a week or so ago on Adult Swim. But after finding out that they're only showing one a week, and only currently on episode 2, I had to find the rest of the series in atleast english sub. Which I quickly did at deathnote.tv and I just finished watching ep. 22. So I still have about 10 or so to watch, but damn this series is seriously good. I would highly recommend it, but if you dont like watching something while having to read subtitles, maybe just wait for the DVDs to come out in the US.

So rambling aside. I was curious about what everyones thoughts were on anime here? Do you like it? Do you LOVE it? Do you think it's ridiculous or have you never even seen an entire series so you can't say? Whatever your answer or reasons, please post them I'm dieing to know. Also, if you are into anime, maybe post your favorite series or movies.

Now excuse me, but I'm off to watch more Death Note, gotta see what happens next! Good Idea
Koopsta Knicca
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:42 pm  Reply with quote
Forum Medic
Forum Medic

I thought you hated anime back when KEEGS was still up.

I personally don't care. If a movie/series is good, I'll watch it. Animated or not.

Anyway, I HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY

HIGHLY

recommend:

Last Exile
Gankutsuou
Fate/Stay Night
optic
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:55 pm  Reply with quote
Forum Scout
Forum Scout

Oh man I've seen Last Exile and it's amazing.

When I was rolling with Keegs I kinda did have something against it, but like I said about people who think they're all the same silly kid shows, I was one of them. I had never given it a fair chance to say if I liked it or not. Then one day my bro bought this series call Samurai Champloo and we watched the whole thing in one day, I loved it. After that I just started watching ones that people recommended and I got hooked seriously bad.
Koopsta Knicca
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:02 pm  Reply with quote
Forum Medic
Forum Medic

optic wrote:
Oh man I've seen Last Exile and it's amazing.

When I was rolling with Keegs I kinda did have something against it, but like I said about people who think they're all the same silly kid shows, I was one of them. I had never given it a fair chance to say if I liked it or not. Then one day my bro bought this series call Samurai Champloo and we watched the whole thing in one day, I loved it. After that I just started watching ones that people recommended and I got hooked seriously bad.

Ok, then you'll definitely like Gankutsuou and Fate/Stay Night then

Do you download torrents or buy the movies? Subbed or dubbed?
optic
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:09 pm  Reply with quote
Forum Scout
Forum Scout

Well most of the good stuff I've seen was already on DVD over here. I would just go to best buy and buy entire series at a time. Since I had never seen ANY of them I was content with watching them like that since I had so many to see. But lately, I've been hearing of really good ones that aren't dubbed yet, so I'll either download torrents or find a fan site that hosts subbed versions. Like right now I'm watching this Death Note from a place that has the ENTIRE series subbed (very well I might add) and you can watch right off their site, streaming video.

I'll be done with this soon so I'll definitly look into those others you recommended Koop, thanks!
Koopsta Knicca
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:23 pm  Reply with quote
Forum Medic
Forum Medic

There's sooo many good ones out there. Another must watch is Berserk. You should download anime..most are in very good quality.

Here's a good site to download anime torrents:

http://www.boxtorrents.com/
optic
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:32 pm  Reply with quote
Forum Scout
Forum Scout

Awesome dude thanks for the link. I've actually been wanting to see Berserk for a while now. I heard it was REALLY bloody with lots of intense battles, I bet it's wicked. This guy I go to school with is supposed to bring me the entire series that he downloaded, but he's a flake and keeps "forgetting".
Koopsta Knicca
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:41 pm  Reply with quote
Forum Medic
Forum Medic

optic wrote:
Awesome dude thanks for the link. I've actually been wanting to see Berserk for a while now. I heard it was REALLY bloody with lots of intense battles, I bet it's wicked. This guy I go to school with is supposed to bring me the entire series that he downloaded, but he's a flake and keeps "forgetting".

Meh, just download it. It's nice to have your own copy anyway.

Let's just say Berserk has the craziest ending you'll ever see, animated or not.
Chance!
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:29 pm  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

optic, recognize my avatar?
Death Note is pretty much the best anime out there.
what koop suggested, Gankutsuou, is very good.
Fate/Stay Night is ok(i wouldn't put this as being a particularly good anime). Its actually based off an H-Game (hentai-game, this tidbid brought to you by my roomate).
You've seen a good deal of good anime(i've seen a good deal of what you have listed above) but i'll make a few suggestions:
Monster (long series... but very good)
Hellsing (short series, one of the few about vampires that i like)
Claymore (decent series, first season of it is out, no telling when more will come)
Noir (series about assassins, i liked it but sorta slow paced)
Trigun (this is a standard for anime viewers)
Black Lagoon (not as well known, but a good series)
Read or Die (the OVA's of this are well known, i don't think the tv series is as widely seen)
Code Geass (similar to claymore, this is a very good series but only one season of it is out at the moment)

In any case I'm a huge fan of anime, but right now. I'll say that I pretty much don't pay any attention. I pretty much only watched subbed stuff and most of the time will pick up a fansub of something.

If you like never ending shonen's, there is always Bleach and Naruto.

I keep meaning to see berserk but put it off...

-[CfH]-Server Admin
The Crimson King
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:32 pm  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

the only anime i've ever liked is FLCL. pretty much the most random series ever made, but the sound track is amazing. The Pillows FTW.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
optic
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:58 pm  Reply with quote
Forum Scout
Forum Scout

Lets see... I've seen Hellsing, and Trigun (also own them), but none of the others, looks like I'm going to have to start a list of anime I need to see.

Chance, I knew someone had an avatar of L from death note, but couldn't remember who it was, lol. Yours is from the 2nd intro right? I'm almost done with death note now and all I have to say is F'N AMAZING. I'm sure the ending will blow my mind just as much as the series has so many times.

Dont really want to give anything away for those who might watch it in the future, but I'm just past the part where the original Kira gets his powers back and a certain death god just died...

Love it Good Idea
Demasu
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:39 am  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

I like Cowboy Bebop, and there are others, but this is the only one to come to mind. Oh wait, Elfen Lied is good too.

RL the ultimate roleplaying experience
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Audhumla
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:38 am  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

i know its really lame but something inside me has an undying love for initial d

SUPA DURIFUTOOOO

(dead)-[CfH]-Server Admin but--- because I could not stop for death, He kindly stopped for me
gilliam
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 5:06 am  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

sounds like i can finally rebuild Total Anime Otaku ( www.teamtao.com ) Smile

Koopsta Knicca
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:04 pm  Reply with quote
Forum Medic
Forum Medic

Bah, I'm jealous. You got so much stuff to watch.