Chips' Fun House Forum Index

View next topic
View previous topic
Page 5 of 5
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Chips' Fun House Forum Index  ~  FF - Fortress Forever  ~  The Official -[CfH]- Fortress Forever Server...
tiger
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:50 pm  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

Hi Guys,

Just a small update as to where we are, and the progress over the last few weeks.

Firstly, we have a team working on improving the wiki (thanks to Ihmhi for heading this up!). Lots of content has been added, templates up and running, screenshots and tutorials are under way.

We have hired a new texture artist - welcome to [AE]5316. He's been improving the visability of player models, Sentry Guns, grenades, projectiles - you name it. The distinction between certain player models is a lot easier to see now and will continue to get better - watch this space. He's also knocked up some proper security icons (for the hud) which will be in next patch.

Schtop is now well into construction as is 2fort.

Recent code changes:

* We now have a working 'explosion radius' piece of code (thanks DrEvil!). Previously, explosion radius was done simply on the damage of the explosion. This means we can raise the impact distance of rockets (so it's easier to push people around with them), whilst maintaining the same damage.
* The HUD animations for taking damage has been altered, so it is much easier to tell when you are low on health, whilst in the middle of a firefight.
* Nail grenade has been tweaked so it doesnt destroy server CPU any more. This should decrease lag and increase FPS.
* The speedometer is now visible in its entirety (thanks Zatoichi!)
* SG's and dispensers now spark when they are low on health. We're playing with different effects to see whats the coolest.
* Bunny hop cap has been raised slightly

A lot of other code changes are under way but are more complex (e.g. coding a custom vertex shader to make models glow) and are taking a while to implement/test, so i'll let you guys know when they are done.

In the community, it seems activity has picked up and we are seeing an increased playerbase across the board. I don't know if this is because everyone upgraded their PCs at christmas, or some people are giving 1.11 a go after giving up at version 1.0. Either way, we are certainly excited to see the numbers start rising again, and hope that the next patch will further increase player numbers.

0:00:35 IsLeS PiPeS-[AF] HW NO CONC AIM - said over enemy team_chat about Yur_Mom 35 seconds into the match Very Happy
-[CfH]-Server Admin
tiger
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:50 pm  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

Hi Guys,

Progress update on the next patch:

We are now in BETA! Which means most of the changes have been finalised and are undergoing balance testing. We had an extremely successful beta test last weekend, and I can safely say that you will LOVE the next patch Smile

I won't paste the entire beta changelog because (a) it's far too long and (b) some stuff is still being tweaked. But the major changes:

GAMEPLAY

* Scout: Caltrops and radar have been removed. Instead they have a buildable jump pad on +attack2.
* Sniper: AR and Sniper rifle base damage has been reduced. (AR much moreso than SR)
* Soldier: RPG damage radius increased to more TFC-like. RPG reload time decreased slightly. Nail gren code has been rewritten: they now own SGs again, and use much less server resources to use.
* Demoman: Blue pipe fuse timer dramatically decreased (from 2.5 to 1.1 seconds). Pipetrap + blue pipe explosion radius increased (pipetrap moreso than blues).
* Medic: Medic's special ability now throws medpacks for teammates to use (still undergoing tweaking)
* HWGuy: New overheat system. You no longer overheat and there is no need for tapping (yay!) (still undergoing tw
* Pyro: IC base damage has come down. Pyro vs Pyro flame damage increased from 50% to 100% of base (affects IC and flamethrower), but Pyro's still can't be lit on fire.
* Spy: knife damage up to 50 from 32. Disguise time halved.
* Engineer: SG health has come down to 113% from 120% (ish). Bullet push reduced.
* ALL CLASSES (except medic): Melee weapons now do more damage. Crowbar + spanner up to 30 from 18. Knife up to 50 from 32. Frag gren dmg increased slightly (they were decreased 30% in the 1.11 patch - they are now about halfway). Bhop cap increased to 1.15 from 1.10 (when i mentioned 1.08% it was my error - we never tested that value on beta and the correct value is 1.15)

Also if you are on the ground when hand-held concing (and you don't jump), then you will perform a small conc jump rather than nothing happening. This will make it much easier for new players to understand what's going on, and less frustrating to switch between floor concs and HH concs.

VISUALS

* Grenades now have trails and halo's around them (thanks mirv)
* Blue and yellow pipes now have trails (thanks mirv / jiggles)
* Nails now have a slight glow behind them to increase visibility
* Player models have been tweaked to increase visibility (thanks 5316)
* Grenade models have been tweaked to increase visibility (thanks 5316)
* SG models have been tweaked to increase visibility (thanks 5316)
* SG now throws out sparks when it's below 50% health (thanks jiggles)
* New IC model! (well, a retextured RPG with some parts cut off, thanks omen + 5316 + decs)
* No more ugly background for build timers (thanks mirv)
* New HUD security icons for shutdown style maps (thanks 5316)
* New FOV change on speed effect. Work in progress. Can turn this off/on from the fortress options menu item. (thanks mirv)
* Shotgun muzzle flash more visible (thanks mirv)
* Many visuals now line up correctly in widescreen modes (damage indicators, Context menu (thanks mirv)
* Acceleration blur has changed, try it see what you think (thanks mirv)
* AC firing blur has changed, try it see what you think (thanks mirv)
* Fixed a conc/EMP effect issue (thanks mirv)
* HUD health / armor no longer flashes red when you are hit. It'll only flash red when you are < 25% health to prevent confusion. (instead it flashes white when hit)
* Grenade 2 timer up a bit so it's not so far down (thanks mirv)

BUGS / FIXES:
- Medkit fix. Should be much easier to heal people with medkit and spanner now, as friendlies are lag predicted now. (thanks jiggles)
- Suiciding no longer causes you to lose 100 fortress points

New functionality

* New splash screen to tell you about any updates to FF if you are playing an old version.
* New options screen with a load more stuff on it.

Wow, i guess i ended up pasting most of the beta changelog, haha. Basically the soldier is awesome to play now. Can pop people up in the air much easier than before, airshot more etc. He's really fun to play. Demoman is awesome now that blues are actually usable. He can DM like a beast now (but obv still has pretty low health, and no super shotgun) - so you dont just hide in a corner waiting to det a trap any more, you have more of an active role. HW should be much less annoying, personally I think the new charge system is awesome, but hey i would say that, i wrote it, lol. The jump pad is awesome but the physics are still undergoing tweaks. Basically means that the scout enables heavier offense classes and has a much more usable special (caltrops and radar were both pretty lame). The visuals are awesome.. everything is better! I'd better stop writing!

Anyway, the good news is, we're almost finished. Unfortunately this means stats probably won't make this patch but we decided to focus on fixing gameplay first, as if there's nobody playing the game, then there won't be any stats anyway Smile Stats hopefully next patch!

All that's left to do is tweak the jump pad values and the overheat system and a few other bits and bobs.

We're aiming to get everything locked down this weekend then a patch a week later, so hopefully first week in february-ish!
________________________________________________________________________________________

im liking this. the scout jump pad sounds freaking awesome. the concing thing bothers me because sometimes i would hh a conc while on the ground for stuff but meh. apparently the patch is supposed to come with a massive marketing campaign also, good timing because i have a feeling that with tf2 becoming a fricken rpg, this might be able to pull ff back out of the mud.

0:00:35 IsLeS PiPeS-[AF] HW NO CONC AIM - said over enemy team_chat about Yur_Mom 35 seconds into the match Very Happy
-[CfH]-Server Admin
Mr. Happy
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:42 am  Reply with quote
Forum Sniper
Forum Sniper

Thanks for the updates, Tiger. I don't think FF is dead yet. Many, like me, just waiting for all the bugs to be worked out and fine tuned.

The servers will fill.

TF2 is just too cartoon-like for me.

What other server let's you do stuff like this?? -Chips
-[CfH]-Server Admin
Chips
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:15 pm  Reply with quote
Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Yeah...I was reading this last night myself. Tbh...I'm not sure about this jump pad thing. It will allow "either" team to use it and you can expect to see heavy classes more on offense...not necessarily a bad thing. But it will allow those heavier classes to get places they never could before...we'll see.

I don't know what the devs have against caltrops...I always though they were integral to the game. To read their discussions...they were never anything but an annoyance. Surprised

I'm liking all the rest pretty much...can't wait. Good Idea

The only good game, is a fair game...
Why do we park on driveways and drive on parkways! George Carlin - 1937-2008

-[CfH]-Server Admin
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
tiger
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:26 pm  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

i dunno, caltrops were pretty useless for me in tfc. when i was on d its fairly easy to just bhop right past them cause theres big gaps on the floor. to me they were were just annoying. i didnt know that the jump pad could be used by both teams. thank god the AR got nerfed. although these arent all the changes needed to be made, i feel like these are some real good ones that could draw some people back in. many on the cats already say theyd give it another shot after this update.

-[CfH]-Server Admin
Chance!
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:56 pm  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

i'm feeling the same way, this update gives me a lot of hope for the game.

-[CfH]-Server Admin
Dark Applepolisher
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:35 pm  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

tiger wrote:
thank god the AR got nerfed
Leave it to DA to say amen to this. Laughing

imo, I'm not sure what to think of the buffed blues. I guess it was hard to get used to a single blue not killing scouts anymore, but really, I felt they were balanced. After all, demoman fire/reload rate was plenty high already.

And frag gren damage increase? >_<

Ah well. The majority of the changes look good, though, and if everyone else is interested, then maybe we can get some FF action going on.

-[CfH]-Server Admin
Mr. Happy
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:04 pm  Reply with quote
Forum Sniper
Forum Sniper

The biggest change for me is the SG being brought back down to earth. The virtual indestructibilty made playing O useless. A well placed SG and one guy to cover anyone trying to shoot it . . .

I've been back playing and have the CfH FF in my fav's. As soon as I see it up I'll jump on. IP still the same??

What other server let's you do stuff like this?? -Chips
-[CfH]-Server Admin
Chips
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:23 pm  Reply with quote

What IP Question

My home server (not permanent)...or the one we had running for a month at the same IP as our TFC server that no one came to play on. That one's gone. Sad

The only good game, is a fair game...
Why do we park on driveways and drive on parkways! George Carlin - 1937-2008

-[CfH]-Server Admin
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
tiger
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 1:53 am  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

from pcgamer magazine

"This independently created Half-Life 2 mod is a more faithful re-imagining of Team Fortress Classic. It even has the Hunted map!"

noice Good Idea

-[CfH]-Server Admin
Chance!
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:37 pm  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

wasn't this kinda due out last week? and they still don't have the patch out? kinda annoying when they give an ETA and its past the ETA and we got nothing...

-[CfH]-Server Admin
Fjorn
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:19 pm  Reply with quote
Forum Sniper
Forum Sniper

err, look at how it took them 2 years past their original ETA to get the mod out...

-[CfH]-Server Admin