View next topic
View previous topic
Page 1 of 1
Chips' Fun House Forum Index  ~  Computers  ~  wireless & rain
tiger
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 3:35 pm  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

So a friend of mines wireless goes out every single time it rains/storms out at their house. A. Why? B. Fixable?

0:00:35 IsLeS PiPeS-[AF] HW NO CONC AIM - said over enemy team_chat about Yur_Mom 35 seconds into the match Very Happy
-[CfH]-Server Admin
Mr. Happy
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:30 pm  Reply with quote
Forum Sniper
Forum Sniper

A. Why?
Wireless b and g (802.11b/g) operate in the 2.4 GHz range. The composition of water molecules (size and spacing between the atoms, etc) interact with, and by extension block, this frequency. Microwave ovens work on the same principal of exciting (heating) water molecules. b & g wireless and 2.4 Gig wirless phones are susceptible to interference from Microwaves and water, usually in the form of precipitation, humidity or trees.

B. Fixable?
Is he kidnapping wireless from nearby? Is he already at a low signal level that the increased humidity in the air would take his signal to unusable levels?
1. The 5 to 7 dB booster antennas you can get from Radio Shack or online all generally suxor. Don't do it.
2. Reorient the antenna. Or better yet, get closer to the source if possible.
3. Switch to 802.11a, which operate at 5 GHz. Downside is the inverse relationship between distance and throughput is much greater in this frequency range.
4. The ultimate solution. OpenWRT (http://openwrt.org). It takes a bit of work and you risk bricking a Wirless router, but you can boost wireless power output to the same level as an AM radio Station (yes, you read that correctly) The FCC will fine you 10's of thousands if you turn it up even half that high and get caught.

What other server let's you do stuff like this?? -Chips
-[CfH]-Server Admin
Chips
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:19 pm  Reply with quote
Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler
Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Yeah...you'd have to more fully describe the operating environment. I have two laptops on wireless and I have no problems with moisture / humidity during storms. The phones in our apartment are 2.4 also, I've never really had problems with any of it. Tell us more. Rolling Eyes

I only bashed my head off the table once from reading that Happy. Laughing Razz Wink

All pretty dead on. I'd take my chance on the booster antennae for a cheap fix if warranted though. Smile

The only good game, is a fair game...
Why do we park on driveways and drive on parkways! George Carlin - 1937-2008

-[CfH]-Server Admin
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Demasu
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:54 pm  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

Mr. Happy wrote:
1. The 5 to 7 dB booster antennas you can get from Radio Shack or online all generally suxor. Don't do it.

Wait, wait, wait. dB, as in decibels?

RL the ultimate roleplaying experience
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
tiger
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:29 pm  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

Yes decibels. They are always in excellent to very good range, although it doesnt matter how far away because it will get knocked out anyways. Its a linksys wrt54g v.6 router, no matter what ive done i have not been able to set it up so that it will work with the internet cable in the internet cable slot lol. I have to put it into one of the lan slots. But anyways, i dont remember what channel it is on(i havent changed it around to see if it would work). It is a mixed 802.11 signal. What else are you wanting me to list for you chips? Im getting mixed signals about the antenna booster from you two,

0:00:35 IsLeS PiPeS-[AF] HW NO CONC AIM - said over enemy team_chat about Yur_Mom 35 seconds into the match Very Happy
-[CfH]-Server Admin
Mr. Happy
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:59 am  Reply with quote
Forum Sniper
Forum Sniper

Dem,
Antenna's are rated in dBi, which is output power relative to an isotropic antenna. Just a fancy way of saying standard unit of measure.
I've tried them, they only cost 10 bucks
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2498116&cp=&pg=2&sr=1&origkw=wireless+antenna&kw=wireless+antenna&parentPage=search,
but they don't do much in my experience. Perhaps someone else will vouch for them.
Also, in the American system there are 11 channels each of which covers a small range of frequencies. But because they overlap slightly there are only three "discreet" channels: 1, 6 and 11. Don't let the AP decide, hard set it to one of them and the same for the clients.

Chips, agree with the head bashing - my head is flat on one side from learning that stuff over the years. Shocked Couple more whacks and you'll get it nice and smooth Very Happy

-[CfH]-Server Admin
tiger
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:06 am  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

so is the only answer a larger antenna(which shouldnt matter anyways cause they get excellent-very good connection to router)?

-[CfH]-Server Admin
Mr. Happy
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:10 am  Reply with quote
Forum Sniper
Forum Sniper

Or get some CAT 5 cable, some ends and a crimper and wire the damn place. You buy materials, I'll come to Tenn. It'll take us two hours to have ethernet going every which way.

I know enough about wireless to know it bugs the hell out of me when there are problems. I ran wires to every room of the house after the fifth "what the hell is going on NOW" problem. Also, gaming plus wireless bandwidth and latency - pffft.

-[CfH]-Server Admin
Demasu
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:21 am  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

Mr. Happy wrote:
Dem,
Antenna's are rated in dBi, which is output power relative to an isotropic antenna. Just a fancy way of saying standard unit of measure.

Never heard that before. My dad does a bunch with ham radio, and I do a little, so I've been around antennae quite a bit, but I don't remember dB being a part of it. Oh well.

RL the ultimate roleplaying experience
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
gilliam
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:35 pm  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

tiger wrote:
~~~~~
Its a linksys wrt54g v.6 router, no matter what ive done i have not been able to set it up so that it will work with the internet cable in the internet cable slot lol. I have to put it into one of the lan slots.
~~~~~
pardon the partial off topic, ill try to make up for it. if you have a cable internet connection, they may charge you more because your cable modem would see more than one computer.put your cablemodem back on the "internet" port of your router, then go to http://192.168.1.1 or http://192.168.0.1 (default for linksys: username blank, pass admin), set connection type to "DHCP".

now back on topic....

i will forward happy's why/fixable info to my old workplace, which does city-wide wifi for Galt CA.

ChipsBro
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:33 pm  Reply with quote
Forum Trolls
Forum Trolls

tiger wrote:
so is the only answer a larger antenna(which shouldnt matter anyways cause they get excellent-very good connection to router)?

The fact that you can't use your internet router in the wan access port might be part of the problem.

Check your configuration. Make sure you have the latest firmware installed. Use the internal diagnostics, if they are present and working, to see if the wan port responds to a ping. If not its dead or turned off. If off turn it back on and if dead should be replaced by the manufacturer if it is still under warranty.

Extension antennas with higher db gains, which are inexpensive and work, are a viable solution if none of this other stuff works first.

Good luck with it,
Chip's Bro
StaR
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:49 pm  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

wow ChipsBro, nice to see ya around (actually this is the first time ever seeing you around Very Happy )

Anyways, I say any of the above things should work, so here's a question:

Is the B2 Stealth Bomber more detectable when it Rains? Laughing Cool