View previous topic
Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Chips' Fun House Forum Index  ~  Computers  ~  appsvc32.exe
tiger
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:33 pm  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

before you go and fill the thread with stop using norton comments, i cant, so dont waste your breath.

yeah its hogging about 50% of my resources atm and it has been for hours now. i googled the problem and saw some crap about some media player and an anomoly that got fixed but it was a problem for other people also, yeah i figured id just ask here instead of weeding through 100s of random forum threads on the matter. 1st why and 2nd how can i get it to stop. i restarted my computer already cause i figured that would help the matter but obviously not, it was fine for just a small bit and now its acting up again.

0:00:35 IsLeS PiPeS-[AF] HW NO CONC AIM - said over enemy team_chat about Yur_Mom 35 seconds into the match Very Happy
-[CfH]-Server Admin
jum
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:05 pm  Reply with quote
Forum Medic
Forum Medic

Stop using Norton. Sorry, couldn't resist because I'm a jerk.

Just out of curiousity, why can't you stop using Norton?
tiger
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:16 pm  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

one of the downfalls of still being at home(i wish things were free in life), if my mom still claims the computer so i cant make a big change like that without her knowing about it, and her work uses norton and shes somewhat of a comp noob so her perspective is basically, MY WORK DOES IT SO ITS PERFECT AND GOLDEN! so yeah.

0:00:35 IsLeS PiPeS-[AF] HW NO CONC AIM - said over enemy team_chat about Yur_Mom 35 seconds into the match Very Happy
-[CfH]-Server Admin
Chips
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:56 pm  Reply with quote
Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Just curious if it's actually just doing a background scan Question

Check the windows scheduler and see if there's a scan that's supposed to go off when it did. I don't see the problem being related to your media player...seeing that you weren't even using it after the restart. Neutral

The only good game, is a fair game...
Why do we park on driveways and drive on parkways! George Carlin - 1937-2008

-[CfH]-Server Admin
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
tiger
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:17 pm  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

well i have it scan twice a week but its at 3am. by windows scheduler are you asking about my scheduled norton scans or some scan that windows does?

i did see something on one of the forums about some background scan, however most everyone that has the problem says it just happens for a few minutes and thats it. mine however has been hogging for roughly 4 and a half hours now.

-[CfH]-Server Admin
Mr. Happy
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:57 pm  Reply with quote
Forum Sniper
Forum Sniper

If you go into Task manager and sort by CPU, if it's using an inordinate amount of process %'age (based on the hardware capability and the number of other resource hog apps running), then it is running a scan . . .

Check the second entry:
http://www.cybertechhelp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=730140

What other server let's you do stuff like this?? -Chips
-[CfH]-Server Admin
Chips
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:09 pm  Reply with quote

Perhaps at this point, if you can convince the powers that be (your mom) that there is actually a problem running Norton on that system, she'd be apt to consider a change.

I'm about to convert the last of my 4 computers in the house from Norton to AVG. I too am tired of the bloatware. Bad Idea

-[CfH]-Server Admin
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
DogMode
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:12 pm  Reply with quote
Forum Medic
Forum Medic

As much as I distrust anything free...I've never had any problems while using AVG. Definately works better than Norton. IMO

Chips
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:25 pm  Reply with quote

Well...Norton actually "works better", It does far more than AVG. If you're a dangerous surfer, open files you know you shouldn't...and stupid stuff like that, you need all the protection you can get and you probably need something as massive as Norton. AVG for instance, does not monitor outgoing traffic, only incoming. That's a pretty big difference right there.

I've used Norton for the past 7 years and rarely had problems. Their software has just become too expensive as I'm tired of paying to upgrade 4 machines. Norton is not a hog on my system, never has been.

You need the right protection for your online needs. Some need Norton, some are fine with AVG or Panda. Whatever floats your boat. Good Idea

-[CfH]-Server Admin
gilliam
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 5:46 am  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

norton is "full of ail and aids" and doesnt have a place on any of my computers. traffic monitoring is the job of a firewall, which winxp does both adequately, and your router takes care of the rest.

StaR
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 1:21 pm  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

I would get a firewall if you haven't already. Prevention beats Cure every time.
I would NEVER trust anything like Norton or Macafee, mainly because those life-less hackers living in their grandmother's basement will create bugs and viruses that penetrate Norton/Macafee because they are so common. That's mainly why I give some trust towards 3rd party people, and why I have AVG Free, AVG Anti-Spyware, and that little Rootkit they've got. Along with some additional security, I've basically stocked up on Freeware.
Razz I'm so cheap.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 4:30 pm  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

AVG has anti-spyware? I have two anti-spyware programs, but I had something that crashed my computer when I ran Ad-aware so I resorted to "Windows Defender" and after running that, spybot, and AVG free a few times, I was cured. So now I use AVG Free, Ad-aware, Spybot Search and Destroy, and Windows Defender.

RL the ultimate roleplaying experience
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
The Crimson King
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 4:23 pm  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

i have a disc for free norton for life that my dad got me from his work place. i used that up until a year ago, when i was sick of how much memory it used (when i had precious little to give it). a combination of Ad Aware, AVG, and Zone Alarm have kept me safe for a long time.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
tiger
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:24 pm  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

im glad that most people who posted in this thread just told me that they use other things and they work, although i said on the beginning not to do that but whatever. i got the problem fixed awhile ago, thanks though.

-[CfH]-Server Admin
Chips
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 9:03 pm  Reply with quote

What exactly was the problem and how did you fix it Question

It's hard for those of us that use Norton and have not experienced that problem to help. Perhaps your efforts could help someone in the future. Good Idea

-[CfH]-Server Admin