View previous topic
Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Chips' Fun House Forum Index  ~  Computers  ~  Computer won't boot into Windows
jum
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:03 pm  Reply with quote
Forum Medic
Forum Medic

I'm currently running chkdsk /r on the computer. It's taking a while, so I will probably leave it on overnight.

Do you know if this HD Tune will work in safe mode? It's extremely unlikely that the computer will be able to get into Windows in normal mode, so it's basically safe mode or nothing.
Toughsox
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:34 pm  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

Its Windows based and does support Win 2000, but Im not sure. Sorry Bro. Might as well just d/l it and give it a whirl. Ya never know....might get lucky. Cool

PS...the .exe is only 626KB, so it will fit onto a floppy.

Dont mistake my kindness as a sign of weakness!!!!
Offense doesn't win matches.......big friggin' guns do !!! Ole' Painless FTW !!!
-[CfH]-Server Admin
The Crimson King
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:38 am  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

considering the age of you computer, i'm guessing that it's a bad sector on your hard drive. but a virus could still pose a great possibility. the chkdsk should help in solving the problem. another possibility would be to copy and paste said file from another windows 2000 machine. or you could buy another copy of windows 2000 for 129 dollars. frankly, i think you should think about getting a new computer, period. a barebones these days would beat your rig.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jum
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:06 am  Reply with quote
Forum Medic
Forum Medic

A quick update before I hit the sack:

I ran chkdsk both in Recovery Console and in safe mode and both times it didn't find a problem. I also ran HD Tune (it worked in Safe Mode, thanks Toughie). It did not find a problem either, giving the health of the drive an "OK" rating. I used the quick error scan (the full scan takes significantly longer and I didnt want the computer running all night) and it showed no major problems whatsoever. The only problem was that it was overheating a bit, but that's understandable considering the hot and humid day we had today coupled with the computer being on for quite a while.

If it is a virus, is it contained solely in the registry or would it also potential infect the rest of the computer? And if it the former, would updating to XP eliminate the old registry and take any virus with it?

Or could it just be that I unwittingly deleted something important (maybe through a spyware program or a cleaning tool like CleanUp!)?

I run AVG and update it daily, if that changes anything, and also have SpywareGuard, SpywareBlaster and S&D Tea Timer (the active protection of Spyboy: Search and Destroy).
The Crimson King
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:28 am  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

you don't want to update with those specs buddy, it will run.. but just barely. you can do a boot disk install, instead of an upgrade, and it will completely erase the hard drive, then you can install XP. i forgot the commands, but in the morning, i'll look it up. i've got it in a book somewhere...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Toughsox
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:19 pm  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

Crimson is correct on every level. First...the virus could be anywhere and everywhere. Also, you wouldnt go through the trouble of patching XP over 2000. Matter of fact, not sure you can do that as W2000 most likely partitioned the hard drive with NTSF, vs Fat32 for XP. A simple fdisk will fix that though.
As for XP actually running on a rig with 256 ram.....yea, it will, but it will run a bit slugish.

A point to consider is this.....if indeed you actually went out and bought XP.... roughly $100, then added in at least $50-75 for memory.....that brings you to what Crimson also said.....you could get a brand new computer for geez.....$350-400 complete from Dell. Not that I cherish them, but they do make inexpensive computers that will last a few years and have somewhat expandability. Here is one they list today....
http://www.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/inspndt_53xs?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

Its $349 without a monitor.

Just a suggestion.

Offense doesn't win matches.......big friggin' guns do !!! Ole' Painless FTW !!!
-[CfH]-Server Admin
jum
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:48 pm  Reply with quote
Forum Medic
Forum Medic

I was able to get a copy of XP from a friend, for free, so I'll try formatting the HD and installing XP. Is XP really that much more of a resource hog than 2000, like you say? Windows 2000 runs perfectly fine on the computer now (well, before this crap started, anyway), so I'm wondering if XP will run at least adequately.

Buying a new computer (even a $349 one) isn't really an option right now. I'm a 22 year old student and I just plopped down $400 for a table saw two weeks ago, so unless somebody is willing to donate to the "Jum is such a cute Canadian Fund," I'm pretty much stuck with the current rig. It runs every game I play (TFC, Football Manager, a RTS once in a while) at a playable or better level.
Toughsox
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:56 pm  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

TFC is 8+ years old.....as long as you arent jamming the computer up with other memory hogs, it should be fine. Make sure once you install XP, that you go to the Microsoft site and download Service Pack 2, if the copy you got doesnt have it. It fixes all sorts of bugs in XP.

-[CfH]-Server Admin
Chips
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:40 pm  Reply with quote
Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler
Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

I have XP Pro running on a PII 300 mhz machine with 128 ram. Confused

If it can run on that...it should be fine for you. Laughing

If there's anything on there at all that you treasure, I'd make an effort to hook it to another machine as a slave and copy what I needed.

The only good game, is a fair game...
Why do we park on driveways and drive on parkways! George Carlin - 1937-2008

-[CfH]-Server Admin
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Mr. Happy
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:52 am  Reply with quote
Forum Sniper
Forum Sniper

I'm broke, but I make a virtual donation to the "Jum is from the land of HOCKEY" fund!!!

October 5 is coming . . .

What other server let's you do stuff like this?? -Chips
-[CfH]-Server Admin
Snickers
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:18 am  Reply with quote
Forum Soldier
Forum Soldier

I don't see any reason to upgrade to XP, system restore sucks, you can easily back up your data on CDs or another hard drive. Your friend probably also activated that copy of XP already, though if it works I guess that's fine. You should try to get that data you want off that hard drive by hooking it up to another computer as Chips said, then do a format and pick your OS.
jum
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:01 pm  Reply with quote
Forum Medic
Forum Medic

I installed XP and everything seems to be running well. Thanks for all the help, hosers.
Toughsox
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:45 pm  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

Because XP is still more of a gaming platform then 2000 could ever hope to be.
As a side note Jum......while your money woes may be daunting......Id at least chuck a few bucks into memory to help out with the XP. I mean an additional 256 memory for what I believe you have, SDRam, is only like $25-30. I wouldnt go much higher then that due to the specs on your rig being somewhat primative.....no offense.
Fact is....the memory that you most likely have wont be compatible in future computers you may get.....so dont waste the money. But alas......$30 to double what ya got.....trust me, you'll definitely notice a difference. Very Happy

-[CfH]-Server Admin
jum
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 11:52 am  Reply with quote
Forum Medic
Forum Medic

I'll take that under consideration, thanks.

EDIT: Yay for google.
jum
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:22 pm  Reply with quote
Forum Medic
Forum Medic

As a followup:

I bought RAM which is nice, but the computer kept on crashing. It turns out the the old ram was/is malfunctioning, which may have caused problems in the first place. I was wondering if there is any way to salvage it. It seems to be fine physically and I hadn't physically touched it in quite a while before this whole crashing business started, lessening the chances that it was hit by some static electricity. I have taken out the old 256mb and left the new 256mb in there and it hasn't crashed yet. If it comes down to it, I can just leave it like that. Ideally, I'd like to salvage the RAM if possible. Is it possible?

As a kick in the pants, there are two labels on it:

DDR 184 Pin PC2100 256MB

and

the one that should have a company name but doesn't.
Garantie Nulle Si Enleve (that's Guarantee Void If Removed for you people that don't speak French) 03042-250
DIMM 266Mhz DDR Non-ECC 256 MEG
Comptant: Prix:
1125 0403-8-8 spftle

Then there's a bar code and the accompanying numbers below it.

Any help would be appreciated.