View next topic
View previous topic
Page 1 of 1
Chips' Fun House Forum Index  ~  Other Games & Mods  ~  Warsow
Chance!
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:27 pm  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

Originally this was posted by aud in another thread, but I think it deserves its seperate thread.
This is a 100% free game, very easy to download(fairly small game), not taxing on your video cards/internet connection/computer.
Main site: www.warsow.net
You can download it from there. Once downloaded, simply unzip the file and play.
Its very similar to TFC. Its basically TFC, drop the T, and change from CTF to DM.
Play wise, the weapons are similar, the rocket launcher, and grenade launcher are almost identical to TFC's. There are a few other weapons.
The MAIN focus of this game is both on the weapon balance and, especially, movement. Most everyone I've seen play this game bhops(there is no bhop cap that i've seen, if there is one, it is EXTREMELY high), constantly can do stuff like rocket jump, and there is even a couple of different 'movement' features like dashing and wall jumping. Anyone who likes the movement features of TFC(like concing, rj, bhop, rampsliding, ect) will enjoy this game.
There are 3 different classes, but they aren't very different at all. You have the same armor and health, but do stronger damage with certain weapons.
There are multiple ways to play, from the most popular DM, to skill maps, to CTF.
The *only* downside I really could find to the game so far is that the community is fairly small, and fairly european based.

An avi of high-level game play(this is a VERY good avi, even if you haven't the slightest clue about the game, you'll understand what its like simply from having played TFC):
First Contact

Its extremely easy to download and try out, so I strongly suggest just trying it even if it ends up not being something you like.

-[CfH]-Server Admin
Audhumla
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:48 pm  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

It's really much more fair to compare the game to quake 3. since all the weapons are exactly like quake 3.

The major thing to this game is the dual-tiered ammo system. Each weapon has weak ammo and strong ammo. With a weapon like the rpg, strong ammo makes your rockets faster and more powerful. With the lightning gun, weak ammo makes your shot flop arund like a noodle.

With the railgun, strong ammo makes your shots hitscan, and fire instantly, weak ammo makes them a fast projectile.

and so on

(dead)-[CfH]-Server Admin but--- because I could not stop for death, He kindly stopped for me
Dark Applepolisher
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:51 am  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

Horizontal rocket jumps + no bhop cap = awesomeness.
Quake-style rocket airshots = crazy easy.

Just to save anyone the headache of joining a server for their first time... You hit escape in order to join a team, ready up, etc.

Oh, and you'll probably want to turn character noises all the way down. It gets really annoying hearing the same exact grunt every time you jump, because you jump a LOT.

Regular jump is defaulted to mouse2, wall jump is defaulted to space bar. Wall jumps are great for jumping over seemingly too long pits by using the wall to the side, and they're what you use to rampslide.

-[CfH]-Server Admin
Audhumla
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:48 pm  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

If you're playing a gamestyle without self-damage like ca, you can use that plasma gun (strong ammo) exactly like in quake

(dead)-[CfH]-Server Admin but--- because I could not stop for death, He kindly stopped for me
Chance!
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:39 am  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

Audhumla wrote:
It's really much more fair to compare the game to quake 3. since all the weapons are exactly like quake 3.

given this is a TFC community, i related it to TFC instead of quake, as i assume everyone here has/does play TFC, and whether or not they've played quake is a bit more questionable =P

-[CfH]-Server Admin
tiger
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:39 pm  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

just downloaded and played it for a few minutes. fun stuff. is bhopping the same as for us?

0:00:35 IsLeS PiPeS-[AF] HW NO CONC AIM - said over enemy team_chat about Yur_Mom 35 seconds into the match Very Happy
-[CfH]-Server Admin
Audhumla
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:01 pm  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

Not quite. You don't have to time bhopping by tapping the jump. Once you're in the air, if you HOLD the jump key, you'll automatically jump once you hit the ground. You have to then release the jump key, and press and hold it again for the next jump.

Chance!
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:39 pm  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

yeah, what aud said. i noticed my bhop was slightly off when i first played TFC after playing warsow.
also, strafejumping gets you more speed faster than bhop, unfortunately.

-[CfH]-Server Admin
Chance!
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:03 pm  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

also, i found one of the best guides to bhopping i've ever seen. if you weed out the warsow terms, you could learn bhop in tfc EASY with this guide.
http://demos.pourix.com/demos/brako/WMS/WMS-Lesson1.avi

-[CfH]-Server Admin
bird^
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 5:39 pm  Reply with quote
Forum Soldier
Forum Soldier

someone play with me

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:36 pm  Reply with quote
Forum Soldier
Forum Soldier

need more people to play

/shameless bump Sad

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:40 pm  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

pretty fun played it a while back. never got to show it here.