Chips' Fun House Forum Index

View next topic
View previous topic
Page 1 of 1
Chips' Fun House Forum Index  ~  Other Games & Mods  ~  Anyone ever play Xenogears?
Valkyllias
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 1:32 pm  Reply with quote
Forum Sniper
Forum Sniper

It's an RPG for the Playstation by Square Soft, was banned or something in America because of how it said life was created, and was just too religious, something like that.

Anyway, just curious if anyone's played it, it's one of my favorite RPGs, so yeah, if you have played it let me know what you thought.
-SoldierBoy-
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 4:19 pm  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

Valkyllias wrote:
It's an RPG for the Playstation by Square Soft, was banned or something in America because of how it said life was created, and was just too religious, something like that.

I think that goes against the First Amendment.

Anshinritsumai
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 4:27 pm  Reply with quote
Forum Sniper
Forum Sniper

Xenogears (ゼノギアス, Zenogiasu?) is a console role-playing game developed and published by Square Co., Ltd. (now known as Square Enix Co., Ltd.) for the Sony PlayStation video game console. It was released on February 11, 1998 in Japan and on October 20, 1998 in North America. Xenogears never saw a PAL release. The game is both hailed and criticized for its heavy philosophical and religious allusions.

In a press release by Square announcing the release of Xenogears in Japan, it was stated that the game's treatment of religion in general and Christianity in particular might prevent it from being released outside of Japan. However, Xenogears was released quietly into the United States, amidst minimal controversy, with some place and character names changed.

Unfortunately I've never played it but i've been looking for a copy of it for many years now...
Valkyllias
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 2:04 am  Reply with quote
Forum Sniper
Forum Sniper

My friend was lucky enough to snag a copy when it came out, so I just borrowed it from him. If you can find it play it, it's really cool.
Snape Sensei
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 11:44 am  Reply with quote
Forum Medic
Forum Medic

Hmm, I haven't played it at all but probably should considering my love affair with RPGs. Maybe once I move in I can play it. Yay! Dude, we soo need to have an all-you-can-video-game-weekend when I move it.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 2:38 pm  Reply with quote
Forum Sniper
Forum Sniper

Snape Sensei wrote:
Dude, we soo need to have an all-you-can-video-game-weekend when I move it.

That actually made me laugh out loud, good job. Oh! and hell yeah we do!
Dark Applepolisher
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:32 pm  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

Xenogears was interesting I guess, but it had a few too many major flaws.

Gameplay was so ridiculously redundant. Every single random encounter in the areas was the same. It was purely using your strongest combo attack ability over and over again, using defensive magic/healing when necessary. I mean, most other rpgs have all sorts of offensive magic to make things interesting, but Xeonogears, all the offensive spells were horribly broken/worthless. Gear combat and person combat were the same thing, really, as well.

Redundant gameplay aside, though, as far as I got (I think it was part way into disk 2) the plot was quite interesting/imaginative/different. Oh, the music was also quite good as well (always been a Yasunori Mitsuda fan). If I could ever swallow the gameplay again, I think I might just steal my older bro's discs and finish the game for the plot.

-[CfH]-Server Admin
Valkyllias
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:23 pm  Reply with quote
Forum Sniper
Forum Sniper

Well, I pretty much retorted all of your points. Not all the random encounters in the area are the same, it was more of strategy, and if you use your strategy, you might not have very much fun, and you probably won't beat it. I agree that there wasn't much offensive magic, but in my opinion they made up for it with the combos. Gear combat was WAY different. You didn't really have any combos for a while, and you had to think abuot your fuel too. And if you don't like redundant game play, don't play RPGs.

Sorry, I'm a little defensive abuot this game. What DA said may be true to him, but it's just a matter of opinion sometimes.