Chips' Fun House Forum Index

View next topic
View previous topic
Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Chips' Fun House Forum Index  ~  Our Clubhouse - General Discussion  ~  i swore id never have this happen to me...
gilliam
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:16 am  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

two words: hard drive failure(maybe 3 words)

i was already in the process of moving data to another drive, then decided i should start migrating to a new comp case i was planning on anyways. after everything is back to exactly as in the old case(except power supply), my newest(not meaning much) SATA hdd died. it was giving SMART(hdd diagnostic) errors saying it will fail eventually, but places online say it would take 3 months to die after SMART notifications. so not even a month and a new comp case later, bye bye music, anime torrents, various unsorted programs/music/pictures/documents, and tfc. ... just kidding, tfc is safe on my second drive. Im currently running my winxp on a 6GB drive. i probably wont get completely back into tfc and such until i get 2 hard drives and RAID them together, no more single point of failure.

Toughsox
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:48 am  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

Gill, you of all people, in the computer industry......and you dont know that losing sectors on a hd can mean months....or hours of time left? Ive actually watched sectors go bad while testing them....fine 1 minute, pass this sector go to another, the last sector that was good goes bad halfway thru the test.

Gee.....dust the cobwebs off your wallet and spend $30-$40 on a new hard drive ya cheap bastid. Shocked Laughing

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010150014+4025+1035915133&name=SATA+3.0Gb%2fs

Dont mistake my kindness as a sign of weakness!!!!
Offense doesn't win matches.......big friggin' guns do !!! Ole' Painless FTW !!!
-[CfH]-Server Admin
gilliam
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:56 am  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

hitachi deathstar? AHHHHHHHH *runs*

i actually have a pair of 80GB ide drives but theres data on them, cant wipe them yet.

Chips
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:40 am  Reply with quote
Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

That's exactly what happened to may laptop when first compiling the HLStats database. I wasn't getting any messages about the drive...just a blue screen and poof...the comp shut down. I ran diagnostics in dos which told me the problem was the drive and that it was failing.

And that's precisesly what happened before I got the new one I ordered...damit.wav. Mad

Anyway...I only lost the OS and all it's tweaks. Music, pics and other files that were on it...had already been backed up. I back up my most important files at least once a month. Cool

The only good game, is a fair game...
Why do we park on driveways and drive on parkways! George Carlin - 1937-2008

-[CfH]-Server Admin
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Torturedevice
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:48 pm  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

I need a new harddrive as well, this one is about 7-8 years old and probably going to die very soon.....
gilliam
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:28 pm  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

lucky you td, my hitachi "deathstar" was only a couple years old.

i read that operating conditions will affect the drive life. i always had a fan in front of my drives cooling them off so it should not have been an overheating problem.

i will try to run it from INSIDE the fridge, see if keeping it cold will let it run long enough to get my data off.

gilliam
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 9:11 pm  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

alright, i got a 500GB drive today. hopefully i can recover some of my data from the failed drive.
all anime fansubs onto dvds asap. all music onto the laptop and zune. all pictures onto the second drive.
.. speaking of pictures, i have a crapload of them STILL on my other comp in storage(gilliam2) from when i updated to Vespa. specs on Vespa2 to come soon.

Mr. Happy
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 5:04 pm  Reply with quote
Forum Sniper
Forum Sniper

Gill,
Do you use the Zune for video? If so, can you recommend a good conversion program?

Angry . . . no! Happy!

What other server let's you do stuff like this?? -Chips
-[CfH]-Server Admin
gilliam
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:24 pm  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

WAHA~! the drive wasnt completely dead yet. i used a program called R-Studio and recovered over 300GB off a 250GB drive(extra was deleted stuff too).
after data was recovered, i disconnected the 500GB drive and rebooted with the bad 250GB drive still connected(oops? nope!). winxp ran its chkdisk program at bootup and made the drive usable again! usable for now at least.

aom, for nonconvertable video files, i used windows movie maker to change it to a wmv.

Last edited by gilliam on Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

tiger
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:40 pm  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

you mean aom

0:00:35 IsLeS PiPeS-[AF] HW NO CONC AIM - said over enemy team_chat about Yur_Mom 35 seconds into the match Very Happy
-[CfH]-Server Admin
Chips
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:09 pm  Reply with quote

gilliam wrote:
winxp ran its chkdisk program at bootup and made the drive usable again! usable for now at least.
Usable for now would be correct. I went through this process about 3 times before mine finally went completely. Get everything off it...then toss it. It'll never be of any use to you again.

The only good game, is a fair game...
Why do we park on driveways and drive on parkways! George Carlin - 1937-2008

-[CfH]-Server Admin
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Toughsox
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:04 pm  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

Chips wrote:
Get everything off it...then toss it. It'll never be of any use to you again.
Older-man speaketh the truth. Laughing

Dont mistake my kindness as a sign of weakness!!!!
Offense doesn't win matches.......big friggin' guns do !!! Ole' Painless FTW !!!
-[CfH]-Server Admin
gilliam
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:55 pm  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

disassemble and degaus...
windchime and fridge magnets.

gilliam
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:10 am  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

wow, this was a long time ago! i was still using the above drive untill a few weeks ago now.
bad sectors must have been in the boot sector or something, because after booting into wonxp it would work fine and i just wouldnt reboot for long LONG periods runon sentence

Mr. Happy
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:05 am  Reply with quote
Forum Sniper
Forum Sniper

The rare earth magnets in certain drives are crazy strong! We had a tech at one of my old jobs who had a few of them. Before I picked a set up to play with them he held up the worst blister I had ever seen and said, "be careful" ;0

What other server let's you do stuff like this?? -Chips
-[CfH]-Server Admin