View previous topic
Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Chips' Fun House Forum Index  ~  Computers  ~  great
tiger
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:30 am  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

so, i used driver cleaner pro to clean out my drivers n such so i could install fresh. i followed instructions and such and when i restarted and tried to install the drivers from the ati site, at the end it said:

Setup was unable to complete the installation.
Try to setup your display adapter with a standard VGA driver before running setup.

so wtf do i do now? Crying or Very sad i have submitted a ticket on thier site, but im sure it will take 5 years to respond and it probably wont get fixed the first few rounds of convo. would love to play tomorrow night in sta 5v so pleeeeeease help Sad

0:00:35 IsLeS PiPeS-[AF] HW NO CONC AIM - said over enemy team_chat about Yur_Mom 35 seconds into the match Very Happy
-[CfH]-Server Admin
Menace
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 5:15 am  Reply with quote
Forum Soldier
Forum Soldier

let windows find a driver , then try again

rebel_leader
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:57 am  Reply with quote
Forum Soldier
Forum Soldier

u sure ur installing the right driver?> seems like u may have picked the wrong one... also why not try poping an xp cd in ur drive and letting windows do the work likemenace said

foot
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:59 am  Reply with quote
Forum Medic
Forum Medic

Tiger, Although I have an nvidia card, whenever I update my video drivers , I'm required to uninstall the current drivers. then setup with "standard windows VGA drivers", and then install the new nvidia drivers. If I don't do it in that order the new drivers won't install properly. It sounds like your error message is trying to get you to do the same. Have you followed those steps? Good Idea

tiger
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:26 pm  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

how do i setup with standard windows VGA drivers then? i dont have a cd with original drivers and such for the computer.

edit: ok i ran windows update and got the drivers from there and ran the ati drivers and it installed, i see them on the device manager and whatnot. however when i right click desktop setting advanced the adapter tab is still empty and doesnt show them like it used to, this mean anything?

0:00:35 IsLeS PiPeS-[AF] HW NO CONC AIM - said over enemy team_chat about Yur_Mom 35 seconds into the match Very Happy
-[CfH]-Server Admin
foot
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:47 pm  Reply with quote
Forum Medic
Forum Medic

You need to right click on an empty spot of your desktop and click on properties. Then click settings tab. Then click advanced button near the bottom of the page. Click the adapter tab and you should see a properties button next to your adapters name. Click it. Click the driver tab. Near the bottom of the page will be a button to uninstall the driver. Click that and follow instructions. Restart your computer and windows should restart with the windows standard driver powering your monitor. You can check that by following the above instructions above till you click the drivers tab and you should see "standard vga driver" listed.
Then cancel out of those screens and try installing the new drivers and they should install fine and give you your full functionality to your videocard.

Hope that helped and feel free to pm me and let me know.
Good Idea

tiger
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 5:30 pm  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

i ran windows update and got the driver from there and then ran the ati driver install and all is "well" again. reason for doing it still isnt fixed and probably never will be. fps problem isnt a driver pieces problem so yeah, i dont think it will ever be fixed Smile

-[CfH]-Server Admin
foot
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:10 pm  Reply with quote
Forum Medic
Forum Medic

Your ok to play,right? Glad you're back up tiger. Wish I could have been better help. Very Happy

tiger
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:25 pm  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

yeah im good, just frustrating when youve tried so many things and no one has an answer that helps, thanks for help for at least saving me by getting my drivers back to working status though Smile

-[CfH]-Server Admin
foot
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:35 pm  Reply with quote
Forum Medic
Forum Medic

your welcome, anytime

Yur_Mom
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:39 pm  Reply with quote
Forum Medic
Forum Medic

Tiger,
Please answer the following and I may be able to help:

1 CPU speed
2. Video Card Model
3. Ram
4. Do you have fps problems with all your games?
5. Does your whole computer run slower?
6. Did you change you fps_max in your tfc console/ If you did type
fps_max 60
7. How is your internet connection?
8. Are other people using it? WiFi? RPon?

This will be enough for me to start a diagnosis.

Mom
tiger
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:07 pm  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

1. P4 2.8 gig
2. 128mb ati radeon 9800 pro
3. 1 gig DDR
4. Don't have any other games to play besides CS, and I dont remember there being any problems(dont think anyones vid card should have abd fps on that slow game)
5. No, runs fine.
6. I have changed it to every single number, lowering it doesnt help. While sitting in spawn I can get up to around 350 fps I believe, so it can't be a lack of power i dont think. but whenever there is action going on fps drops down to 15-35 ctf map and 10-30 adl map or so.
7. I have dsl, I dont know exact specs but from running test on speakeasy a few times it is around 2.5m down and 378k up.
8. I am on a wireless end of our internet, i get a low to good signal and if i hit it just right a very good signal. i have played with it and i havent really seen any change in fps from when i have a low connection to good connection. i am at work so i cant get you the models of it, but the router is the linksys WRT54GS or something like that.

-[CfH]-Server Admin
Chips
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:35 pm  Reply with quote
Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

I never realized you're on wireless. Surprised

378 up...and your connection is low to good...you're prolly not sending enough info to the server during extreme action...where that would be required.

What is your cl_cmdbackup and cl_cmdrate set to?

The only good game, is a fair game...
Why do we park on driveways and drive on parkways! George Carlin - 1937-2008

-[CfH]-Server Admin
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
tiger
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:50 am  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

cl_cmdrate is 60, although ive toyed with numbers down to 20, dont notice much difference, and the only time that i almost stop getting choke is cl_cmdrate 10 :/. and cl_cmdbackup is 2.

i can upgrade my dsl upstream only to 512, and i was looking around at other available services and nothing goes higher than 384 basically, which si what i got. could it be the wireless or is 384 unable to handle it?

-[CfH]-Server Admin
Chips
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:56 pm  Reply with quote

Our server puts out 30...I'm thinking of lowering that to 20...the default.

Set yours to 30 and let me know if that helps. In addition...I once upped it to 30 from the default. From what I've been reading, that may very well be the cause of the "steam rolls" since the client AND server default value is 20. Surprised

The only good game, is a fair game...
Why do we park on driveways and drive on parkways! George Carlin - 1937-2008

-[CfH]-Server Admin
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger