View previous topic
Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Chips' Fun House Forum Index  ~  Computers  ~  vid card
tiger
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:14 pm  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

so im thinking of finally buying a new video card here in the new future. questions arise though as in do i need a new mobo? is there any point is buying an agp card or just go ahead and get a pci-express card? also i dont understand pci-express(do i have to buy a new mobo for that, or buy a pci-express card and install it in one of my pci slots or what?), and will i need a better power supply and a better fan system? and what all is going to be involved with the installation(is it just pull it out and put new in and then install drivers etc. kind of thing or alot more)? also, heard anything about this http://www.drivercleaner.net/?(since that was one problem still unaddressed completely when it came to my drivers) http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/Uninstallers/Driver-Cleaner-Professional.shtml this is a freeware version.
soooooooooo yeah Question Wink

0:00:35 IsLeS PiPeS-[AF] HW NO CONC AIM - said over enemy team_chat about Yur_Mom 35 seconds into the match Very Happy
-[CfH]-Server Admin
ksix
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:21 pm  Reply with quote
Forum Scout
Forum Scout

Pci-express is a newer high-speed serial bus. You do need a new mobo for pci-express. In terms of vid card performance, pci-express is about 2x faster than AGP-8x in terms of getting data between the processor and the card. But thats only one part of vid card performance. Many current games don't even saturate the bus on AGP systems. But that will change.

The really high end vid cards will all be pci-e.
If you want a nice high end vid card good for 2-3 years, you probably need pci-e and new mobo. Mobo swaps somtimes go wrong. Some effort is involved and you will probably have to deal with power supply and cooling issues. If you aren't comfortable doing this, you should probably get some help.

If you just want to stretch the life of your current box for 12-18 months and you have AGP 8x (not just 2x), then an AGP card for around $150 would probably be worthwhile. This would be an easy swap.

Not a simple set of questions you asked. I'm sure others will have different ideas.

rebel_leader
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:07 pm  Reply with quote
Forum Soldier
Forum Soldier

dump it all out and buy an alienware. 4gs down the drain but itl be top of the line for like the next 7 years lol

Chips
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:27 pm  Reply with quote
Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler
Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

ksix wrote:
Many current games don't even saturate the bus on AGP systems. But that will change.
Extremely well put. Good Idea

Very few...and I mean...very few games out there today take the absolute full processing power of the best 8X AGP cards. For instance...I'm running an 8X card and my mobo only supports 4. Embarassed

But...I haven't had any performance issues to speak of. HL2 plays smooth...yeah, not with "all" the bells and whistles; but more than sufficient at 100 fps solid. PCI-E is the next gen...but you're talking about replacing your whole system. PCI-E, SATA hard drives, larger power supplies to handle that...all next gen stuff. If you're going that route...you're better off replacing the whole box.

BTW...sure Alienware systems are kick ass. However, you can build a system yourself with just as much firepower for half what their machines cost. You're simply paying for their name. Bad Idea

The only good game, is a fair game...
Why do we park on driveways and drive on parkways! George Carlin - 1937-2008

-[CfH]-Server Admin
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
rebel_leader
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:07 pm  Reply with quote
Forum Soldier
Forum Soldier

Chips wrote:

BTW...sure Alienware systems are kick ass. However, you can build a system yourself with just as much firepower for half what their machines cost. You're simply paying for their name. Bad Idea

but when ur like... yeah i have an alienware its been statistically proven that 83% of the ppl around you orgasm.. thats def worth my buck

ksix
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:02 am  Reply with quote
Forum Scout
Forum Scout

rebel_leader wrote:
Chips wrote:

but when ur like... yeah i have an alienware its been statistically proven that 83% of the ppl around you orgasm.. thats def worth my buck

Alienware as really branched out lately. They are making good money off that name and you can buy sort of "low end", normal type computers from them now. But your 4K is a bit low for the orgasm special. The Alienware box you really want will set back over $6,000.

rebel_leader
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:04 am  Reply with quote
Forum Soldier
Forum Soldier

wow. 6 grand for aa sexy computer. thats a tough decision i could havelike a new car and gas andsinsurance for like 2 years forthat kinda money lol

tiger
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:07 am  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

yeah, we dont all have 4k to drop on a pc at anytime, not all of us are rich enough for that. but what about the driver cleaner thing. chips you have said that one of my possible causes for problems with fps would be pieces from other drivers still left around and such. anyone know anything about it or some program that can clean up my drivers for me?

0:00:35 IsLeS PiPeS-[AF] HW NO CONC AIM - said over enemy team_chat about Yur_Mom 35 seconds into the match Very Happy
-[CfH]-Server Admin
Demasu
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:08 pm  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

Since this thread is here, I'll post here. I want a better video card than what I have now(GeForce 7600 GT) and I can't decide what to get. I was thinking about one of these but I don't know which one, and it has to be under $140. Help is appreciated.

RL the ultimate roleplaying experience
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Foxtrot
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:59 pm  Reply with quote
Forum HW
Forum HW

Demasu wrote:
Since this thread is here, I'll post here. I want a better video card than what I have now(GeForce 7600 GT) and I can't decide what to get. I was thinking about one of these but I don't know which one, and it has to be under $140. Help is appreciated.

Some of those cards look like you could attach them to a plane and take off.
StaR
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:21 pm  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

Ha!

Anyway, with $140, I wouldn't actually buy a card right this second.

Instead, save up for something new and better (or get a 2nd generation, cheaper).
I reccomend the ATI 1950 XTX (or something like that)
Or the Geforce 7900 GT(X), 7950, or get a raise and get the 8800 GTS 320mb.
NVidia's already planning a price drop for the 88 GTS's,
and when ATI releases their Dx 10, it will REALLY drop.
Just wait and see.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:57 pm  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

Alright, but if nothing good happens soon, I'll either end up spending it on a couple more gigs of ram, or putting it towards the Italy trip in summer '08

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
StaR
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:33 am  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

Bring me back some pasta Smile

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 4:01 pm  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

Will a lot of pictures be just as good?

StaR
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 1:40 am  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

Only if they come covered in spaghetti sause.