View previous topic
Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Chips' Fun House Forum Index  ~  Computers  ~  Computer problem... agian
AvP
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 5:07 pm  Reply with quote
Forum Sniper
Forum Sniper

I've been having this problem with my computer recently. It shuts down for no reason at all (happened a few times when I'm playing TFC) when i try to turn it back on it does the same thing for the next few mintues. Then it turns back on. What is wrong with my computer.

Note: It's not overheating I've checked

"Wow! Brazil is big." —George W. Bush, after being shown a map of Brazil by Brazilian president Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva
rebel_leader
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:09 pm  Reply with quote
Forum Soldier
Forum Soldier

u might have a cord wired poorly in ur powerbox, or connecting to ur harddrive that is loose. or if ur a real uber noob u set a task that runs every day that shuts off ur computer. i had that once and i forgot to disable it and freaked out every time my computer shut off 'randomly'

Snickers
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:12 pm  Reply with quote
Forum Soldier
Forum Soldier

It could be alot of things really, I'd check with the power supply first though.
AvP
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:18 pm  Reply with quote
Forum Sniper
Forum Sniper

Ok I'll try that.

"Wow! Brazil is big." —George W. Bush, after being shown a map of Brazil by Brazilian president Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva
Malysh
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:01 pm  Reply with quote
Forum Trolls
Forum Trolls

If it really shuts down like Windows usually does then check the Event Log, maybe you'll find some related info there.

If what you really meant is "powers off instantly" as if you unplugged it from the electric outlet then it's probably hardware related and sometimes it's kinda difficult to find out why.
StaR
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 2:32 am  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

My dad had that happen to him once.
What he did to solve it was wipe everything, then restart fresh.

It could be either Hardare (Mobo, PSU, CPU possibly)
Or a Virus

That's all I got...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 10:21 am  Reply with quote
Forum Sniper
Forum Sniper

Uhh I'm not going to wipe everything, and it's not a virus either. 90% of the time it powers down is when I'm playing TFC and usally when I have a good score. Mad

Chips
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 12:27 pm  Reply with quote
Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

I realize you said you checked...but this hints of overheating. A faulty power supply would be my next guess. Note...that's only a guess. Wink

The only good game, is a fair game...
Why do we park on driveways and drive on parkways! George Carlin - 1937-2008

-[CfH]-Server Admin
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
FastEddy
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 1:07 pm  Reply with quote
Forum Medic
Forum Medic

Chips wrote:
I realize you said you checked...but this hints of overheating.

Well said...

You said you checked, and your temperatures were fine. However, most generic temperature sensors are situated for case temps, or for HDD temps. These are not NEARLY as important as your mainboard temp or your CPU temp. I HIGHLY suggest you check with your motherboard manufacturer's specifications to determine where your temperature sensors are actually located.

You may also do what I did when I built my computer. Spend an extra $90 - $150 bucks on a standalone temperature guage. Sure, it takes up one of my drive bays, but, it's a nifty little device that has a temperature guage for my CPU, for my video card, and even a voltage sensor. (Which helped immensely when I was having issues with the capacitor for my case lighting system)

Lastly, I'm going to recommend you stay away from programs like "Motherboard Monitor", because it is so easy to screw up the configuration, and then all of your numbers will be way off. Try a piece of software that I swear by. (Everest Home Edition)

Not only will it give you any temperatures that your motherboard can sense, but, it also displays TONS of other interesting system information.

Here is a link to download it:

http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/System-Info/Everest-Home-Edition.shtml

I hope this helps your problem. Please let me/us know what happens from here.

FE

Bentdog
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:23 pm  Reply with quote
Forum Medic
Forum Medic

Hey AVP....
I had the same problem with a PC i had a few years ago. And yupers...it was the power supply. It only costs about 15-20 $ so is a cheap fix... if not, at least a cheap way to start to narrow down possible problems.
Also do you have cats or dogs? Hairs are conductive, they could of burnt or shorted out ram, etc.

Good Luck trying to figure it out.

Bent Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 4:42 pm  Reply with quote
Forum Soldier
Forum Soldier

One time I got a virus that would turn my computer off every hour on the hour. At the time I was too noob to figure out how to get rid of it, so once it started getting close to the hour mark I would set my computer clock back 45 minutes. Ahh, those were the days.
AvP
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:13 pm  Reply with quote
Forum Sniper
Forum Sniper

Bentdog wrote:
Hey AVP....
I had the same problem with a PC i had a few years ago. And yupers...it was the power supply. It only costs about 15-20 $ so is a cheap fix... if not, at least a cheap way to start to narrow down possible problems.
Also do you have cats or dogs? Hairs are conductive, they could of burnt or shorted out ram, etc.

Good Luck trying to figure it out.

Bent Very Happy

My cat sleeps on my moniter and he uses my computer to get to it. This also started happening after he started sleeping there.

AvP
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:24 pm  Reply with quote
Forum Sniper
Forum Sniper

FastEddy wrote:
Chips wrote:
I realize you said you checked...but this hints of overheating.

Well said...

You said you checked, and your temperatures were fine. However, most generic temperature sensors are situated for case temps, or for HDD temps. These are not NEARLY as important as your mainboard temp or your CPU temp. I HIGHLY suggest you check with your motherboard manufacturer's specifications to determine where your temperature sensors are actually located.

You may also do what I did when I built my computer. Spend an extra $90 - $150 bucks on a standalone temperature guage. Sure, it takes up one of my drive bays, but, it's a nifty little device that has a temperature guage for my CPU, for my video card, and even a voltage sensor. (Which helped immensely when I was having issues with the capacitor for my case lighting system)

Lastly, I'm going to recommend you stay away from programs like "Motherboard Monitor", because it is so easy to screw up the configuration, and then all of your numbers will be way off. Try a piece of software that I swear by. (Everest Home Edition)

Not only will it give you any temperatures that your motherboard can sense, but, it also displays TONS of other interesting system information.

Here is a link to download it:

http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/System-Info/Everest-Home-Edition.shtml

I hope this helps your problem. Please let me/us know what happens from here.

FE

The program didn't work it tries it and it locked up repeatedatly. I'm going to open my computer up and see what's wrong with it.

AvP
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:21 pm  Reply with quote
Forum Sniper
Forum Sniper

I fixed it. It was dust the blocked the fan. My computer is running twice as fast now. Thanks for the help. Very Happy

Chips
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:36 pm  Reply with quote

Overheating...yeah, that's the ticket. Cool

The only good game, is a fair game...
Why do we park on driveways and drive on parkways! George Carlin - 1937-2008

-[CfH]-Server Admin
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger