Chips' Fun House Forum Index

View next topic
View previous topic
Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Chips' Fun House Forum Index  ~  Questions, Suggestions and Recommendations  ~  laptop question
rebel_leader
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 9:44 pm  Reply with quote
Forum Soldier
Forum Soldier

hey guys, im not playing tfc on a thinkpad t60 laptop, one problem is that it has this feature where if i hold control, which is crouch for me, it wont register my other keyboard buttons like so i cant crouch strafe or anything along those lines. anyone know a way to get around that other than rebinding my keys?

thanks in advance- rebel
gilliam
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 9:47 pm  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

turn off the program that bound itself to your ctrl key.
just like the FN key on laptops needs a background control program to register thos FN key extras, something else is using your ctrl key the same way.
find it and turn it off.

sory, thats good as i can do.

rebel_leader
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 9:54 pm  Reply with quote
Forum Soldier
Forum Soldier

any clue as to what background program might be using cntrl, cuz i am playing tfc with all other programs off and it still happens
rebel_leader
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 9:58 pm  Reply with quote
Forum Soldier
Forum Soldier

i just rebound the key to shift instead, and the same thing happens- so it makes me think that there might be afiter preventing me from holding a key and another one registering

Demasu
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 10:15 pm  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

On my keyboard I can't strafe right and forward while crouching, it sucks when I'm trying to dm

RL the ultimate roleplaying experience
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Audhumla
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 1:29 am  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

It could just be something you can't do crap about. Lots of keyboards dont allow you to press multiple keys at once. Mine, for example, doesn't let me press all 4 arrows keys at once, but my friend's does.

However, I can simultaneously press "ASDKL; and SPACE", so its not a strict number limit, just some combos that dont work.

(dead)-[CfH]-Server Admin but--- because I could not stop for death, He kindly stopped for me
ksix
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:36 pm  Reply with quote
Forum Scout
Forum Scout

You might try looking for an updated keyboard driver on the ibm website. I also suspect that this is probably a software issue with the keyboard driver software rather than a hardware issue. Laptop keyboards often have a lot of strange options to support all the "Fn" keys. Did you try poking around in the keyboard setup program in the Contorl Panel? I wonder if it would have the problem with an external keyboard? You proably wouldn't wan tto play that way normally, but it might help figure out what was going on.

Chips
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 3:47 pm  Reply with quote
Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler
Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

You can check your control panel>keyboard.

Perhaps there's an assignment to that key within windows...like holding shift down for 8 seconds does something on my machine...I forget what it is though. Embarassed

The only good game, is a fair game...
Why do we park on driveways and drive on parkways! George Carlin - 1937-2008

-[CfH]-Server Admin
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
StaR
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:34 pm  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

It's called "Smart keys" Chips
It's if you hold a key for over 5 seconds, it doesn't register, and windows sends a pop up for it.
But that won't do it, I don't think Windows has anything to do with it, that's not something people would buy.
Probaly a hardware glitch.

It's time for a new Laptop Rebel, that one's getting kind of outdated too
May I suggest a Dell XPS?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:51 am  Reply with quote
Forum Soldier
Forum Soldier

are u kidding me thinkpad t60 is pretty damn new, and i just got it recently, this september, regarding the external keyboard, yes the same thing happens cuz i assume it just runs w.e. key assignments the laptop keyboard hsa on the external.. ill try messing with the ocntrol panel now but i dunno Sad crouching is pretty important... i guess i might not be playing sniper anymore Crying or Very sad
ksix
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:01 pm  Reply with quote
Forum Scout
Forum Scout

Since it does the same thing with an external keyboard, I suspect this problem is fixable. (You did really test this I assume???) I would look for an updated keyboard driver on the IBM support site next. I would also try turning off all the fancy features I could find in the keyboard settings under control panel.

As a last resort, it might be possible to replace the keyboard driver with a generic one, but that would probably mean that many keyboard features might stop working. (Speical Fn keys and such.)

I'm guessing StaR sells computers???

StaR
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:18 pm  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

No, I put them together, install the OS, and charge for that (a good living, I'm making some good money per month).
If you're using an exterior keyboard, not the one of the Laptop, it should be fixable.
All you need is a new keyboard, get an old one, plug it in, and see if the same thing happens.
If it does, then it's software. If it stops, it's the keyboard.
I wish I knew more about the problem.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:19 pm  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

You may also have thought about moving this thread over to the COMPUTERS section too.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:30 am  Reply with quote
Forum Soldier
Forum Soldier

hm im in the process of getting a second external keyboard totest. well see if that works.. the drivers i have are up to date and everything, and i tried messing with the features in control panel to no avail. its a relaly weird effect cuz when i hold crouch and try to strafe it actually does work, but i just walkREALLLY slow. it doesnt make much sence, its like as if some of the keystroke is being filtered out or something..

ksix
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:43 pm  Reply with quote
Forum Scout
Forum Scout

You might not have a problem at all. I almost never snipe, but I will sometimes stick around on a sniper map. I noticed that trying to strafe while crouched as a sniper was just crazy slow. I crouch and walk as a scout/medic all the time and it was much faster.

Maybe some experienced sniper could chime in here. But I see the same thing as you do when playing on my desktop machine with a normal keyboard.