View next topic
View previous topic
Page 1 of 1
Chips' Fun House Forum Index  ~  Mapping & Modeling  ~  My map
Kirby119
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 7:23 pm  Reply with quote
Forum Soldier
Forum Soldier

I decided I would try my hand at mapmaking. This will be the thread about my progress and all the questions I will ask (and there will be alot of them, because I am new at this). Suggestions are always open.

I downloaded the hammer software and got everything configured using the handy link Snickers gave me. However, I am a little confused about how to start. I don't really know how to see a 3d image using the 3 2d screens and because of this I'm not sure how something I put down will turn out.

I also need some opinions. My map will be like 2mesa4 as it will have an outside area between bases and two bridges between a gap. My gap will be wider than 2mesa4. So I need some feedback on how to do the valley.

-Have a deep gap and an instant kill when you hit the bottom (exactly like 2mesa4)
-Deep gap with no instant kill
-Have a gap about half that size with water in it.
-Above with no water in it.

Thanks for everyone's help ahead of time. I really appreciate you helping a newb out.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 8:23 pm  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

2mesa4 size is perfect, just deep enough that you can still conc out of it(which will take a while to test on yours) but to add an instant kill, on the very very bottom(so that way you can still get out of it) add a trigger brush to it, maybe one unit tall, and make it a trigger_hurt with an insane amount of damage done every second(I would go around 5000 just to be safe) so that way when you hit it, it deals out 50000 damage in a second, and you die instantly(it deals out to 50 damage every millisecond, so in 2 milliseconds it's done 100 damage, and in another 2 it's done another 100 pretty much killing everyone in about 4 milliseconds).

Edit: If you want I could take pictures of a very basic crevice with a trigger that kills you on the bottom if you'd like.

RL the ultimate roleplaying experience
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Dark Applepolisher
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 9:04 pm  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

Kirby119 wrote:
and got everything configured using the handy link Snickers gave me.

Would you mind reposting this link? Back 3 years ago, I struggled, but suceeded to configure hammer properly. But now that my HL has been Steamed, I'm pretty steamed too.

-[CfH]-Server Admin
Kirby119
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 9:33 pm  Reply with quote
Forum Soldier
Forum Soldier

http://tf.valve-erc.com/kbase.php?id=13

There's your link DA.

Also, what is the approximate size on the map comparison to how tall it will show up in the actual game? Is there really any way to tell?

Edit: I am also having some difficulty using the clipping tool. I am trying to turn a 3x6 square into a point on the 6 wide side, and I can put down the line but nothing cuts when I do anything, and nothing highlights.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 11:11 pm  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

3x6? Are you really working in a 1 unit grid? If so, bump it up to 32, or 16. And I have the crevice ready for you if you'd like. Give the exact dimensions of the square(it's not 2d is it?) and what all you're trying to do with it and why, cause I can't figure out why you'd only need a single point on one end, but a full side on the other.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kirby119
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 11:24 pm  Reply with quote
Forum Soldier
Forum Soldier

Sorry, I was working on a 64 unit grid so I guess the actual dimensions are 384x192. It was in the 2d grid. I'm not entirely working on a single point, but maybe something like it, entirely for looks. It's for out on the battlements on the outside of the base. The full side was going to be part of the building.

I am ready to take the crevice, and I was also curious how to make floors instead of an actual block for part of a building or such.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 1:31 am  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

What do you mean by floors exactly? Because all I'd do to make a floor is create a block the dimensions I need and there ya go, and to get oddly shaped one I'd use the vertex tool to manipulate it to the right spot. Other then that I don't know. I'll put up the crevice as well as the bsp for it if you want to actually play it in game tomorrow, I'm about to call it a night here soon, and I need to write what you have to do because all I have right now is pictures, so tomorrow I'll have it.

Kirby119
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 2:25 pm  Reply with quote
Forum Soldier
Forum Soldier

I thought about it last night, and I decided that I would postpone development. What with the release of TF2 and (hopefully) FF soon, I figured that by the time I actually finished the map, there would be noone around to play it. I'll probably pick it up again when those two games come out, maybe hand it off to a person that actually has some idea of what to do.

Thanks to everyone that helped me, I'll probably need it again later.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 3:03 pm  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

Just so you know, source mapping is way different from hl1 mapping, the basics are kind of the same, but there's a lot more you can do(like curves).