Chips' Fun House Forum Index

View next topic
View previous topic
Page 1 of 5
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Chips' Fun House Forum Index  ~  TF2 - Team Fortress 2  ~  TF2 Lives!
samuraisquirrel
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 2:57 am  Reply with quote
Forum Medic
Forum Medic

Gabe Newell just anounced TF2 will be included as the multiplayer portion of Half Life 2: Episode 2. Shocked Shocked Shocked

http://pc.ign.com/articles/718/718495p1.html

Some excerpts....

Quote:
a first glimpse of the class-based shooter showed a surprisingly stylized look reminiscent of campy 60s spy films -- an approach used in titles such as No One Lives Forever and XIII.

Quote:
with its characters looking like a cross between an action figure and a cartoon character. They're obviously 3D, but their textures are draw flat, giving them something of a mix between a plastic and hand-drawn look.

On top of this, the characters have been designed in a very exaggerated way, be it a ginormous mustache, oversized arms, pencil thin bodies or whatever. In other words, Team Fortress 2 looks nothing like what we've seen before, and fortunately that's an extremely good thing.

Anyone know if the teaser for this has been uploaded anywhere yet? Last I had heard TF2 was going to be slower paced and more Counter-Strikish, but sounds now like the game is going in a very different direction and hopefully with that good ole TFC pace and gameplay we love. Good Idea

Chance!
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 3:17 am  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

this could either be really good... or really bad. the screen shots make me wonder whether it will be too CS-ish.

-[CfH]-Server Admin
Nerve-ana
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 8:38 am  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

Those are the hella old TF2 screenshots. Not a single screenshot of the "new" tf2 has been leaked. yet.

Yay, im happy. As long as its going to be the same as TFC with minor adjusments to keep it "fresh" and good looking models, maps, and ect. on the source engine than it should be really kickass.

Its said to ship in December. Cant freaking wait!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 12:48 pm  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

Oops, I posted another one of these. Read both articles. Smile

-"A man tells his stories so many times that he becomes the stories. They live on through him, and in that way he becomes immortal." -Big Fish
fu manchu
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 2:51 pm  Reply with quote
Forum Medic
Forum Medic

I have major wood, been waiting for this since before TFC was released.

And you hit a switch
And you cut that man in two

Imagine the view
When they bounce that s**t off of satellites
And they hit a switch and when they hit that switch
All the heaven falls on you
samuraisquirrel
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 4:12 pm  Reply with quote
Forum Medic
Forum Medic

Yeah those screens are for the old TF2 that was supposed to come out like around 2000? Laughing Laughing I've been searching everywhere for some new screens or a leak of the teaser mentioned in the article but doesn't look like any of it's up yet. Sad Maybe they'll put the teaser up on Steam for download sometime soon.

There's a long thread about it now on the Cats...seems like a lot of people are upset that it has a cartoonish look to it. I actually like that direction - TFC isn't exactly the most realistic game to begin with, with rocket jumping, conc jumping, etc... and there's plenty of mods out there to cover the more realistic battle niche so I can't wait to see what kind of crazy things Valve is planning. As long as they keep the features that make TFC what it is. I like to hear that it's look is reminiscent of NOLF2 - an awesome game IMO. Hopefully they will incorporate some of the humor like that game had. And if they're going for a 60's spy film style then I'm really curious to see if the spy class will play a bigger role in this game, or at least have some new abilities. Good Idea

Demasu
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 5:18 pm  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

imo FF will be better, but as was discussed in the ff forums tf2 will probably get more players because it will be an official product of valve. Although I will be getting both.

Edit: Here's the FF thread about it http://forums.fortress-forever.com/showthread.php?t=5478

RL the ultimate roleplaying experience
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
samuraisquirrel
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 7:37 pm  Reply with quote
Forum Medic
Forum Medic

There's a Steam Update now up with a url for a picture of the new TF2 models. Also says there will be a video coming next week.

Here's the url for anyone who missed it.
http://www.steampowered.com/Steam/Marketing/message/689/img/Team_Fortress_2.jpg

Quote:
imo FF will be better, but as was discussed in the ff forums tf2 will probably get more players because it will be an official product of valve. Although I will be getting both.

I dunno enough about TF2 yet to decide which will be better. Valve has been delaying this for so long it better be really good, but I'll definitely try both. I do really hope one turns out much better then the other though or it may really split the TFC clan/league community apart.

StaR
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 8:30 pm  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

Dude, if those are the ACTUAL models they are going to use,
NO ONE, not even TFC fanatics, WILL TRY IT!
I have to admit, these new models don't look anything like they should.
It's like they're making fun of it.

FF will rule, no matter what.
TF2 Looks retro, like a Ben and Jerry Cartoon ( Smile )

FF is more in-tune with TFC as it actually is.
Plus, we know work is actually being done there.

Is it just me, or does it seem like STEAM is sort of making a mockery of TFC with these new progressions?
TFC2 was suppose to be out years ago, (which is why FF was established)
Yet now they say it's being worked out, but it looks like carp.
It shows, that even though it's new, they still don't really care.
They're probably just trying to tie up old ammends, so they actually "did what they said they were going to".

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 8:54 pm  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

I personally like that screenshot with all the models their. But that isn't what I am saying of the game. That's just 1 screenie. As of now, I like them, but the FF ones look way better.

-"A man tells his stories so many times that he becomes the stories. They live on through him, and in that way he becomes immortal." -Big Fish
Chance!
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:38 pm  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

ug... those models... make me want to cry. i'll be playing FF if thats what TFC2 is going to be like.

-[CfH]-Server Admin
StaR
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 1:32 am  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

I can't believe it,
FF will probably be more popular then the actual authentic release!
I can't wait,
wait to see STEAM's faces to this, I mean.

Hey, you think STEAM will charge us for this also?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 1:32 am  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

you're all crazy; those models pwn.

demoman looks like barret.

Clearly, thats not an in-game screenshot, and probably not even pictures of the models, to me it looks like concept art.

TF2 was originally going to be very little like TFC, but if, stylistically, that picture is any indication of the direction they're taking the game, I fully expect it to retain the classic charm it currently has.

DoD:S players have probably noticed how when you respawn, the screen is grainy for the first few seconds, giving it a cinematic, WWII-era feel. If that is any precedent, TF2 should have the feel of a campy action movie, perhaps along the lines of the A-Team, or a '60s spy flick. With the frantic, fast-paced, spammy, fun style of play that TFC has, this is a good look for it. If the whole game is completely cell-shaded, ala XIII, then it wins.

There's complaints that TF2 is way overdue, that it was promised years ago, and so on. Does anyone even remember the game we would have gotten had they released what the original TF2 plan was? The old TF2 would have been this:
http://edomekuvat.soneraplaza.fi/tf2-12.jpg
http://www.gamesurge.com/pc/tf2/images/teamfort2_02.jpg
http://images.starpulse.com/AMGPhotos/gscreens/screen250/drs200/s277/s27728y53jg.jpg
Eww.

TF2 was never going to be TFC:S. Given screenshots like the above, TF2 was probably though of long before the idea of a TFC:S was. TF2 as it is now doesn't seem like it will be a TFC:S, and that is a good thing. If TF2 WAS a TFC:S it would be in direct competition with FF, and if it is different enough stylistically (such as being completely cell-shaded), and/or if gameplay mechanics are changed in some way, I feel it would be a different enough game that players wouldn't have to choose between one or the other. It's not like everyone is incapable of playing different games.

And StaR, Ben and Jerry is ice cream. Tom and Jerry is a cartoon. And I don't think they're mocking TFC at all, it seems like they're finally giving it the attention it deserves. Yeah, FF is a pretty-as-hell TFC:S, but nothing new is really there. TF2 is new and fresh, and probably the punch in the junk the TF series needed to bring it back to life.

In summation: If you hate what we've seen of TF2 so far, you're crazy.

And in response to the above post, I'm pretty sure he said it would be the multi-player game accompanied with HL2:E2, so it's probably gonna be $20 for another 2-6 hours of HL2 (outside of City 17 this time) and this epic game.

(dead)-[CfH]-Server Admin but--- because I could not stop for death, He kindly stopped for me
Wahoo
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 4:39 am  Reply with quote
Forum Soldier
Forum Soldier

Quote:
Team Fortress 2, an all-new version of the title that spawned team based multiplayer action games, features the most advanced graphics of any Source-based game released to date.

That leaves me very optimistic, as in that thing with the characters lined up together is more than likely concept art.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 9:21 am  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

halflife2.net wrote:
New videos from Episode Two, Portal, and Team Fortress 2 will be released next week.

ill wait to see if ill even consider it when i see the videos.