Chips' Fun House Forum Index

View next topic
View previous topic
Page 4 of 5
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Chips' Fun House Forum Index  ~  Mapping & Modeling  ~  One Flag CTF Concept...
Dark Applepolisher
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 2:05 pm  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

I recommend using a proxy server to view them, if you want to, G.

-[CfH]-Server Admin
DogMode
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 5:18 am  Reply with quote
Forum Medic
Forum Medic

*sigh* This map is taking forever...I'm guessing I'm about halfway done though! Good Idea

I'm doing a lot of work wth the vertex editing tool and keep running into "co-planar plane" errors, which means I get to go through compilation log files and look up the coordinates...blah blah blah...

I've also been trying to get the r_speeds down (or whatever, I think down is the good way to go). As I'm understanding it: lower poly = lower r_speeds = higher framerate!

Basically I will design a section of the map, texture it, do extensive play testing, and then rebuild the entire section to look exactly the same but use about half poly as before (because I always overlook about half the trimming possibilities the first time around).

Oh well, here are the latest pics:

The door that you see being destroyed is NOT detpack only, but it has about 1200hp (the aproximate damage of a detpack) so without a detpack they can be destroyed it just takes a bit...like 30 crowbar hits, or 12 rockets...

Oh, I also discovered that a well placed nail grenade can do about TWICE the damage of a detpack...which is pretty impressive I think.

*EDIT* Don't pay attention to the low framerates in my screenshots. The map isn't a hog, I just have A LOT of stuff running in the background (hammer + 3dsmax + wally + winamp + tfc + steam + firefox + photoshop = low frame rates.). *EDIT*
gilliam
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 12:55 pm  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

idea for fps check: let someone who can run the game at maximum resolution play the map and report the lowest fps.

--------------
i think it would be fun to make a map(closed beta w/ trusted secret keepers) and suddenly say "HEY I MADE A MAP COME LOOK!" and then load it up and make everyone guess what to do.. like exploring a new place "oh thats what that button does!*smash*(haha.wav)"

DogMode
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 1:37 pm  Reply with quote
Forum Medic
Forum Medic

Haha yea, but it would have to be one CRAZY map to keep a good replay value. Once people know where all the cool stuff is, newbs playing on the map with people who have played it before would have no chance...however being a "Quaker" at heart, this map WILL have some secret areas and power-ups! >.< Mwahahaha

As the map is getting larger and more complex than originally planned (I am aware of the "Simpleness factor" and assure you it's not TOO complicated), I am considering making it a "3 flag CTF" with one Primary (more points) in the center, and two Secondarys (less points) off to the sides. I dunno, it's up in the air. I can always release both...maybe even a classic "2 flag" version and see what plays better in beta.

And the fps check is a good idea, but I'll just release beta when I'm done and see what everybody comes up with. If someone can report from full res, thats cool.

Demasu
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 8:16 pm  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

How'd you get the third person view to work? I can't get it to work for me.

RL the ultimate roleplaying experience
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Chance!
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 10:38 pm  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

if your half way done by now, your moving faster than most people do.
incredible job, keep up the good work!

-[CfH]-Server Admin
DogMode
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 12:46 pm  Reply with quote
Forum Medic
Forum Medic

thirdperson 1

to get the angle like that, i just strafe towards the camera while taking a screenshot...I still cant figure out if the camera is moveable.

Dark Applepolisher
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 10:49 pm  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

GJ with the work, and I think you should keep it to 1 flag, only.

A few things you may want to keep in mind with the map. Will the round reset after a cap? Will the door magically reappear after a cap?

-[CfH]-Server Admin
DogMode
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 2:57 pm  Reply with quote
Forum Medic
Forum Medic

Sorry I haven't updated this recently...I've paused working on this map as I have another project with a time limit (Making a scale model of Sawa's gun from Kite, it's for my G/F at A-Kon [we cosplay] and A-Kon is in a week.).

As for the flag, I suppose I will keep it one flag. But I'm thinkin that after a team captures the flag, they will remain in control of the flag and the other team has to take it from them...doors will stay broken.

G-Baby
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:53 pm  Reply with quote
Forum Soldier
Forum Soldier

I would suggest the flag reset after it is captured. If the team that actually caps the flag also maintains it, the map could become an ugly defensive battle aka O V D setup, instead of a face pace action between two teams going to the same point for some intense/chaotic action.
G-Baby
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 6:10 pm  Reply with quote
Forum Soldier
Forum Soldier

Or you could put out two different versions with the second one having a crossover2 mentality minus the huge choke point known as the bridge.
Demasu
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 3:44 pm  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

DogMode wrote:
thirdperson 1

to get the angle like that, i just strafe towards the camera while taking a screenshot...I still cant figure out if the camera is moveable.

that doesn't work for me Crying or Very sad

RL the ultimate roleplaying experience
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Chips
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 6:18 pm  Reply with quote
Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler
Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

DogMode wrote:
Well, I have concluded that the poly-count is WAY too high...so I'm going to have to do a major overhaul on the map. Going to take a long time.

The only good game, is a fair game...
Why do we park on driveways and drive on parkways! George Carlin - 1937-2008

-[CfH]-Server Admin
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
DogMode
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 5:52 am  Reply with quote
Forum Medic
Forum Medic

Ok...so I did a little bit of work on this map tonight. Work has been slow lately, and my hours have been cut to nearly 22 a week (Barely making it financially now Bad Idea) but it's cool...I have more time to spend on all my personal projects. Here are the new Screenshots:

Green Spawn:

A Handy Little Item I Wish All Spawns Had:

Re-vamped Alley:

Capture/Flag Room:

For the most part, these will be the last "Lighted Screenshots" you guys will get until the map is complete (There may be occasional exceptions.), as the map now takes at least 45min to an Hour to compile...It's big...

Oh yea... and I had a Kick-Ass secret area that had you run through a yard on top of the Cap/Flag Room Roof, and take a hidden ladder up to the sky above the "Sun Square"...where you could drop down directly onto the flag, but I figured if anyone found out about the secret it would be a huge advantage (Especially for Snipers, "Sky-Walking" Snipers suck!), and if someone "Specing" didn't know about the secret...they would call Hax, because thats what it looks like when you're running around in mid-air. Not to mention it played havok with the existing sky boxes, allowing you to see over certain walls that you shouldn't be allowed to...too hard to fix, I just got rid of the whole thing. I'll try to find a way to fit some smaller secrets in there, "Secret Passages" or something.
Dark Applepolisher
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 4:36 pm  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

What's the good news on the map?

-[CfH]-Server Admin