View next topic
View previous topic
Page 1 of 1
Chips' Fun House Forum Index  ~  Want to create your own server?  ~  Steambans
Dove
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:03 am  Reply with quote
Forum Scout
Forum Scout

Tonight I was on a server running this, it was the first time I came across it. Has anyone else ever seen it or know anything about it or tried it?

It's a metamod plugin:
Steambans.com

Description:
The SteamBans MetaMod plugin (SBSRV) was designed to replace our rcon scanner. Upon connection to your server each and ever user is scanned to determine if their steamid exists in our database. If the user is determined to exist in our database and has been banned on the SteamBans network the plugin will then act towards them based on the settings you choose.

When you've reached the end of your rope - tie a knot and hang on.
Gorlac
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 11:49 pm  Reply with quote
Forum Medic
Forum Medic

Not such a good idea.. I use to cheat on Counter-Strike, and my brother would cheat on TFC like a year ago.. Steambans disables users to play on servers, even after they have made mistakes... CFH has a lot of admins in it, and is well monitered.. I think the server would be better off without this. CFH would probably lose more players do to this because of cheats they used in the past... Most of us, like me, have learned the hard way.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 1:01 am  Reply with quote
Forum Scout
Forum Scout

I use it on my servers and think it's a great tool for admins who are serious about cheat prevention. I say that because I have a zero tolerance policy towards cheating...irregardless if it's in the past or not. Once a cheater, always a cheater, imo.

As far as losing a bunch of traffic, I doubt that. Demos have to be submitted to Steambans and then pass through a pretty thorough screening before players are banned on their participating servers(currently about 2500). Demos are kept onhand for 1 year in case someone protests their ban. In that case the ban is then reviewed and, if warranted, reversed.

So, the only traffic you would lose are confirmed cheaters. I don't see the harm in that Smile

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Chips
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 1:18 am  Reply with quote
Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler
Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

We get so few "true" cheaters here...from what I've read, it really doesn't seem worth the effort. Good concept and all...but applications? C'mon...either let server owners use it or not. To go through all that just to be able to use this seems silly.

Half our players don't even know how to make demos...so it seems kinda pointless to me; as well intentioned as this group seems to be. Confused

The only good game, is a fair game...
Why do we park on driveways and drive on parkways! George Carlin - 1937-2008

-[CfH]-Server Admin
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Dove
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:18 pm  Reply with quote
Forum Scout
Forum Scout

ok thanks for the input

When you've reached the end of your rope - tie a knot and hang on.