Page 3 of 5
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Chips' Fun House Forum Index  ~  Our Forum Members  ~  Cris
Chance!
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:25 pm  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

cris wrote:

Your last comments about students just going through the motions and "buying the belts" are true for many schools, and somewhat true for my school. But I am proud to say that NOONE from my school tested for a black belt in ANY style unless they deserved it and worked their asses off to get it! When people are paying for a service (especially for their child) it is very hard to refuse things like color belt testings when their son/daughter's little friends are moving up past them because little Johnny wont pay attention in class and doesn't get support from his parents. When they start complaining to me, I can't say "well sir, you don't listen to your kid or discipline him enough, so he can't test". I can't do that as a businessman. I have to say "well sir, we'll let johnny test but he needs to make sure and practice more and pay attention better in class". This may happen until he gets to right below blackbelt, but when it is time to make that step up there is no way we will allow someone to embarass us by not taking the test seriously.

Recently we have started with 60 people who wish to test for black belt. Around testing time, there are typically only 40 who are ready and allowed to test. The rest get rolled back for another 6 months of training and preparing. That is how serious it gets.

Fly, have you ever had the chance to check out our school? If you want, I can arrange to bring you by on a tour and show you around one weekend? LMK if you're interested man, no pressure to signup, just wanna show you the place, it's awesome. www.whitetigertkd.com

MOST martial arts places will pass you along the first few belts as they are really ment just to be for little kids. I know the place i went to passed people along fairly quickly from white to yellow to orange to green belt... but after that it became difficult.

I guess i've never been at a school that has 60 people wanting a black belt at once... the couple i went to really never had more than maybe 30-40 people total enrolled.

No i've never been to your school, but it sounds cool. I've never really been as much into taekwondo though. I think if/when i get back into martial arts, i'll probably go back into either judo(which i've had a year of) or aikido, which interest me more.

-[CfH]-Server Admin
cris
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:34 pm  Reply with quote
Forum Medic
Forum Medic

FlyMoto wrote:

No i've never been to your school, but it sounds cool. I've never really been as much into taekwondo though. I think if/when i get back into martial arts, i'll probably go back into either judo(which i've had a year of) or aikido, which interest me more.

we have both of those Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

The Crimson King
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:04 am  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

tai chi is what i want to learn. i've never been the fighting type, but if i can learn to counter, life would be good. lol

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Bonsai
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:16 am  Reply with quote
Forum Sniper
Forum Sniper

The Crimson King wrote:
tai chi is what i want to learn. i've never been the fighting type, but if i can learn to counter, life would be good. lol

Crimson is thinking of tai chi?!?!! Shocked

I say doing Capoeira is more active martial art to do.

-[CfH]-Server Admin
cris
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:14 am  Reply with quote
Forum Medic
Forum Medic

The Crimson King wrote:

i hope you like moving like a sloth if you're gonna do Tai Chi. It is notrious for having incredibly slow and fluid motion. I recommend you check out some videos online before you go out and signup for lessons.

Bonsai
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:09 pm  Reply with quote
Forum Sniper
Forum Sniper

tai chi is good for mental and body energy controls. not to use it in fight, but still deadly if use in the fight.

-[CfH]-Server Admin
Chance!
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 2:05 pm  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

thats why i want to learn aikido, which is basically the art of using the other persons momentum/energy against them, and little of yours.

-[CfH]-Server Admin
cris
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 2:11 pm  Reply with quote
Forum Medic
Forum Medic

Aikido is really good for what you described Fly, but most aikido schools i've seen in our area of NC are taught by old white guys who spend more time doing meditation and slow tai chi-like moves than the cirucular/soft style of martial art that most people think of when they say Aikido. The hapkido program that my school offers is something that might fit hyou well Very Happy .

Hapkido = korean aikido

They do lots of soft/circular motions, focusing on how to get out of and put people into joint locks, sweeps, hip throws, etc.

I think there are a few other schools in the Triangle that offer similar things. Look around and be sure to watch/try a class before you sign up.

Falcon
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:22 pm  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

YEAH!!!

--- Pete + Sam + Dean = chevelle = teh greatest ---

-[CfH]-Server Admin
Monster Man
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:58 pm  Reply with quote
Forum HW
Forum HW

Im sure that someone that has been training for TKD for 9 years could atleast use his training to kick someones ass. Thats all im sayin.

Those bots will never be on the server nor care about the server's running.
cris
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 2:20 am  Reply with quote
Forum Medic
Forum Medic

Monster Man wrote:
Im sure that someone that has been training for TKD for 9 years could atleast use his training to kick someones ass. Thats all im sayin.

For all you know, the guy could have been lying to you and had taken only one class. . . . .

Like I said before, TKD is no longer about purely self-defense. Sure, you will learn some basic tihngs, but TKD and any martial art wont train you for a REAL fight. It won't teach you how to control your adrenalin and how to maintain your cool during a fight. Unfortunately for martial artists everywhere, there are lots of morons out there who take martial arts with the intentions of "learning how to kick ass" and they are a disgrace to martial artists everywhere. Assholes.

I'm done with that topic MM, if you wanna talk about it please PM me or catch me on the IRC channel.

On another note, i broke my headphones last night, so here's how I keep them on:

Monster Man
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 5:35 am  Reply with quote
Forum HW
Forum HW

... you're a strange one Cris...

Those bots will never be on the server nor care about the server's running.
stingersteve
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:52 am  Reply with quote
Forum Sniper
Forum Sniper

LOL! Laughing
Falcon
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 2:48 pm  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

i already made fun of cris for that hehe, i told him it reminded me of the days when doctors used to wear like a metal circle thing w/ the strap on their head...i dunno...chips and toughy were around back then, maybe they could enlighten us on what that was or called Razz

--- Pete + Sam + Dean = chevelle = teh greatest ---

-[CfH]-Server Admin
StaR
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:44 pm  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

Braces?