View previous topic
Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Chips' Fun House Forum Index  ~  Computers  ~  make my computer fast again
poisonfrog
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:35 pm  Reply with quote
Forum Soldier
Forum Soldier

Well by now I am sure you have all heard me whining about how FN slow my computer is and how i get lag spikes that have topped 3500. whaa.wav

You all also know i got hit with a virus and it was difficult to get rid of, but seems to now be gone. Well my connection to the server just has not recovered.

So far i have ran jsut about everything you can imagine to help clear up things. Reg files, defraged, cleaned up drives, ran every spy ware program available and i tried to reformat but am not aloud for some reason.

Can anyone please help me get back to godlike again? I should have enough RAm and memory to play, but i don't know how to check it out. my video card is not huge but is OK.

I am willing to try just about anything. It mostley effects me on big mapos and when there are lots of peopl close to me or on the screen. I am noramly fine if i jsut stay in respawn my ping stay low, around 60-80, which was higher then before the virus. I have an anti hacker program running as well and I am still slow if i turn it off and play.

I have Grissoft AVG
Spy bot
adaware

jsut so you know. some one please make it all better of rme and i will give much mercy to you online.

Thanks again.
Twisted Evil
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Spider Man
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:38 pm  Reply with quote
Forum Sniper
Forum Sniper

Try MS AntiSpyware. Uninstall/disable Spybot first, or MSAS and SB will fight each other and might mess up you system worse.

I use:
AVG
Adaware
Pop-up stopper free ed.
Google bar pop-up stopper
Explorer's pop-up stopper
(^those three together stop all pop-ups, I kill any one and I get pop-ups)
Zone Alarm Pro
RamBooster (never auto mode, just shows how much ram and I can clik optimize.)
and MS AntiSpyware

I never have had any problems since I added MS AntiSpyware. These programs work well together on my system.

Mustang-aM-
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:15 pm  Reply with quote
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

I would suggest running SpywareDoctor it seems to catch alot of things the others won't. Also I had a vicious virus about 2 wks ago and after a week of making attempts to rid myself of it with about everything I had and could get ahold of I took it to a tech and he cleaned it out and done some routine maintenance to my pc.....now it runs faster than it has in over a year. If you are willing to put 40-50 bucks into having a tech specialized in this to clean it up......I think its money well spent

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:39 pm  Reply with quote
Forum Sniper
Forum Sniper

MS AntiSpyware does the same thing better and it's free.

gilliam
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:43 am  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

Spider Man wrote:
I use:
AVG
Adaware
Pop-up stopper free ed.[WTF?]
Google bar pop-up stopper[WTF?]
Explorer's pop-up stopper[WTF?]
(^those three together stop all pop-ups, I kill any one and I get pop-ups)
Zone Alarm Pro
RamBooster [WTF?]
and MS AntiSpyware[WTF?]
spideyman, you mean theres still popup ads on the internet?

poisonfrog, get "hijackthis" and copy/paste the log here. lets see what we can clean up.

Spider Man
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:39 am  Reply with quote
Forum Sniper
Forum Sniper

I still say try the easy solution first. MicroSoft Anti-spyware does the same thing as hijack this but in one step and one reboot...it's all automated. Then if MS antispyware does miss anything try Gilliam's way. Also, MS AS can stay running and keep you safe.

But Gilliam is correct, if there seems to be no other solution I've seen hijack this do wonders.

Also rambooster saves me from rebooting to free ram. When programs close they leave a footprint in ram. WinXP does an ok job of this by it self, but when I clik optomize in my rambooster it cleans up all those footprints. I've tried other programs, trust me ram booster is best and free just DO NOT put it in auto-optimize mode.

I've ran all of that in the background for more than a year now (MS AS for about two months) and HAVE NOT needed and maintainence, reformating, restoring, or other fixing, and my computer runs faster than the day my roommate got it.

I'm sure thats not the only configuration of software that can keep a computer running smooth, but it works for me.

Gilliam, what program keeps you pop-up free?

poisonfrog
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:59 am  Reply with quote
Forum Soldier
Forum Soldier

microsoft anti-spyware has seemed to be more or less useless. adaware and spybot picked up a lot of stuff after i ran MS. I don't have any pop ups, jsut a really slow gameing experience now. I will try the spydocter and see if it picks up anything. I am also curious about the "hijackthis" thing is all about, it has come up a few times. But i have no idea what or where the log is i would have to paste into it. Any help here would be awesome.
I ran that ramboost thing and it says i am using Free ram and CPU usage of 29% or so. amd te guage below that ranges from 30%50%, I have ne idea what it means so i am thinking i am going to get rid of it. Does the tarket level at teh top do anything?, it is set at 1mb.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
gilliam
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:50 pm  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

there is no spoo... i mean popups.
spideydude i use Firefox with adblock plugin.

on my own computer i dont need much. ad-aware, and CA E-trust ez-antivirus.

as a computer tech, i keep firefox, adaware, process explorer, hijackthis, and a few others for working on other people's comps.

RS
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:42 pm  Reply with quote
Forum Soldier
Forum Soldier

you've probably got something running in the background of your comp thats using up a shitload of resources ... i remember when i was young and stupid i used to get those alot....
C +alt + Del and go through and eliminate processes you're unfamiliar with that are being run under your windows account and see if that help ... worst case scenerio you do something that bugs your system and you restart... no biggie

Demasu
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 4:31 pm  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

RS wrote:
you've probably got something running in the background of your comp thats using up a shitload of resources ... i remember when i was young and stupid i used to get those alot....
C +alt + Del and go through and eliminate processes you're unfamiliar with that are being run under your windows account and see if that help ... worst case scenerio you do something that bugs your system and you restart... no biggie

Actually, forcing your system to restart its self sucks ***, because it restarts, and some processes might pop up that weren't there before, and if you closed alot of them you might not remember which ones you closed, or which one killed it. Simple and easy solution, download Ad-aware(has a free version, but in this case I'd buy it), Spybot search and destroy(completely free), and AVG(www.grisoft.cz also completely free), AVG was the only website I knew off the top of my head and atm I don't feel like looking up the others. Once you install all those, do a FULL scan with each. AVG will take forever, but it's worth it.

RL the ultimate roleplaying experience
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
poisonfrog
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 9:25 am  Reply with quote
Forum Soldier
Forum Soldier

i have done all of that, that is why i listed those programs in particular. I have removed a lot of progrmas i had that were not seccassary, defraged both drives. Ran full scans with AVG, Spybot, adaware, Spy doctor and some of the microsoft programs. mcafee + norton (both trials) every registery cleaning program I could find on download.com, actually helped a bit.
ramboost (waste of time) now i have speedupmyPC 2.0, makes almost no differnece.

i am completely stumped.

Think i should jsut instert the windows disk and try to reload or repair the system? I am unable to reformat still, which i thought may have helped. i tried to repair steam, but it does't work for me either. says in need to put in a file or somehting.

should i get a better video card? mine is ATI but not one of the good radeon one, it was cheap and all i needed to run halflife 2 (which is boreing)

HELP ME PELASE. and thanks for all of the advice.

Helpful to you guys hopefully, i have like 6
svchost.exe in my task manager, i know that those files can be bad ones hidin sometimes, how do i know which ones?
fu manchu
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 10:25 am  Reply with quote
Forum Medic
Forum Medic

I suspect you have process running that the anti-spy programs can't ID. Run Process Explorer and HIJackthis.

Beware I have seen spyware that evades both of these programs.

Buy yourself a usb drive, backup your game configs,mp3s and pr0n. Then restore or reformat.

fu manchu wrote:

If you do not what to restore check out some of these programs they may help:

http://www.tomcoyote.org/hjt/

http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/ProcessExplorer.html

http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/TcpView.html
poisonfrog
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 10:55 am  Reply with quote
Forum Soldier
Forum Soldier

i cannot reformat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i have tried that. and have run hijack this, but i can't make heads or tails of what it says.
Wahoo
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 11:35 am  Reply with quote
Forum Soldier
Forum Soldier

Well, what type of pc do you have first? mobo? cpu? etc...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:07 pm  Reply with quote
Forum Soldier
Forum Soldier

pentium 4
2.59 ghz
496 ram
2 drives around 180 Gb of storage
It's a MDG computer so it is a clone.
i run windows XP pro.

Tell me where i can find mobo info and i will post it up for you.
I called nerds on site to see if they can help me but it is a minimum 120 CAD charge, which for me right now is too much to spend.

i am not sure what mother board i have, but it was really good last year when i bought the computer, or so the sales man said. Everything was hunky dorey untill the virus hit. now i skip all over the place like a bot.