Chips' Fun House Forum Index

View next topic
View previous topic
Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Chips' Fun House Forum Index  ~  Computers  ~  So I'm in the market for a new computer...
Audhumla
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 8:34 pm  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

I need a new computer. BF2 and F.E.A.R are throwing rocks at me, mooning me, and laughing at me. They know they have system reqs of 1.6 and 1.7 GhZ. They know my computer only has 1.5 GhZ. They know this and they laugh. I must rectify this. I know of the various sites for individual computer parts. www.newegg.com and www.tigerdirect.com. Both those sites are great. I'm also the lazy type, and I do like prebuilts, especially since they are covered by warranties, which can be an issue if you pick and choose seperate parts and buy them yourself.

Tinkering around on www.cyberpowerinc.com I've come up with some nice set-ups.

I really like this one:
Quote:
CASE : HOT NEW! Xplorer Mid-Tower Case 420W W/ WINDOW & LCD Temperature Display (Black Case w/Blue Face)
CPU : (939-pin) AMD ATHLON64 3700+ CPU w/ Hyper Transport Technology
MOTHERBOARD : (Sckt939)ASUS A8N-SLI nForce4 SLI Chipset SATA RAID Dual PCIE MB w/Gb-LAN, USB2.0, IEEE-1394, &7.1Audio
MEMORY : 1024 MB (512MBx2) PC3200 400MHz Dual Channel DDR MEMORY (Corsair Value Select)
VIDEO CARD : NVIDIA Geforce 6600 GT 128MB 16X PCI EXPRESS VIDEO CARD
VIDEO CARD 2 : NVIDIA Geforce 6600 GT 128MB 16X PCI EXPRESS VIDEO CARD
MONITOR & LCD : NONE
HARD DRIVE : 200GB Hard Drive (SATA150 - Maxtor 200GB 7200RPM 8MB Cache Hard Drive)
Hard Drive 2 : NONE
Optical Drive : 16X DVD ROM (BEIGE COLOR)
Optical Drive 2 : (Special Price) LG GWA-4161 16X DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW DRIVE DUAL LAYER (BEIGE COLOR)
SOUND : HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO

Price: $1,298

That's a reasonable price for a reasonably powerful computer, right?
Since college kids can't afford to buy new computers, this is what will have to last me the 3-3.5 years (Hooray DeVry!) that I'll be in college. I really don't want to go over $1,500. Should I bite the bullet and go for 2048 RAM? Should I opt for a more powerful CPU? Does anyone know of any other build-a-PC sites with a good variety of options and a fair price?
Opinions and comments would be loved especially from the more tech-savvy folk, such as Gilliam and AOM.

(dead)-[CfH]-Server Admin but--- because I could not stop for death, He kindly stopped for me
Nerve-ana
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 8:39 pm  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

BF2 pfftt lol TFC

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 9:21 pm  Reply with quote
Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Cyberpower is the company I bought my first comp from back in '98. There were the only ones I found at the time that would put what I wanted in the box. I can vouch for thier quality...the P2 300 I bought from them still works like a charm to this day. I'm using it to serve up mp3's to my home theater audio system.

That said...am I crazy, or do I see 2 video cards listed. Confused

Drop the second card and get yourself a nice monitor, which I see you didn't pick. I don't see the need for 2 gig of memory...1 should suffice. Even though you picked a PCI express card...128 ram seems kinda slim for todays offerings. I'm not up on these new cards...jmo.

I'm an Intel junkie...intel boards and chips...can't go wrong. AMD chips don't play nice with some boards out there...ACER and ASUS boards seem to get along well with them...good choice.

The only good game, is a fair game...
Why do we park on driveways and drive on parkways! George Carlin - 1937-2008

-[CfH]-Server Admin
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Audhumla
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 9:28 pm  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

I've got a guy willing to drop a nice monitor on me for a great price already, no reason to muck up that price with something I won't need.

Is two cards not worth the benefit?

Should I go with one great card instead of two good ones?
Like a NVIDIA Geforce 7800 GT(X even?) or Radeon X800?

(dead)-[CfH]-Server Admin but--- because I could not stop for death, He kindly stopped for me
The Crimson King
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 9:29 pm  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

Audhumla wrote:
I need a new computer. BF2 and F.E.A.R are throwing rocks at me, mooning me, and laughing at me. They know they have system reqs of 1.6 and 1.7 GhZ. They know my computer only has 1.5 GhZ. They know this and they laugh. I must rectify this. I know of the various sites for individual computer parts. www.newegg.com and www.tigerdirect.com. Both those sites are great. I'm also the lazy type, and I do like prebuilts, especially since they are covered by warranties, which can be an issue if you pick and choose seperate parts and buy them yourself.

Tinkering around on www.cyberpowerinc.com I've come up with some nice set-ups.

I really like this one:
Quote:
CASE : HOT NEW! Xplorer Mid-Tower Case 420W W/ WINDOW & LCD Temperature Display (Black Case w/Blue Face)
CPU : (939-pin) AMD ATHLON64 3700+ CPU w/ Hyper Transport Technology
MOTHERBOARD : (Sckt939)ASUS A8N-SLI nForce4 SLI Chipset SATA RAID Dual PCIE MB w/Gb-LAN, USB2.0, IEEE-1394, &7.1Audio
MEMORY : 1024 MB (512MBx2) PC3200 400MHz Dual Channel DDR MEMORY (Corsair Value Select)
VIDEO CARD : NVIDIA Geforce 6600 GT 128MB 16X PCI EXPRESS VIDEO CARD
VIDEO CARD 2 : NVIDIA Geforce 6600 GT 128MB 16X PCI EXPRESS VIDEO CARD
HARD DRIVE : 200GB Hard Drive (SATA150 - Maxtor 200GB 7200RPM 8MB Cache Hard Drive)
Hard Drive 2 : NONE
Optical Drive : 16X DVD ROM (BEIGE COLOR)
Optical Drive 2 : (Special Price) LG GWA-4161 16X DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW DRIVE DUAL LAYER (BEIGE COLOR)
SOUND : HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO

Price: $1,298

That's a reasonable price for a reasonably powerful computer, right?
Since college kids can't afford to buy new computers, this is what will have to last me the 3-3.5 years (Hooray DeVry!) that I'll be in college. I really don't want to go over $1,500. Should I bite the bullet and go for 2048 RAM? Should I opt for a more powerful CPU? Does anyone know of any other build-a-PC sites with a good variety of options and a fair price?
Opinions and comments would be loved especially from the more tech-savvy folk, such as Gilliam and AOM.

Shocked Shocked Shocked all that for 1,200?? holy cow! the only think i would change is the proccesor. but thats cause i am also an intel guy. you should also get another hard drive, or a portable one to back everything up on. im surprised you're not going for a full tower as well. you shouldn't need anymore ram. im running great off of 512 mb.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Chips
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 9:35 pm  Reply with quote

The only reason you'd want two video cards is to have one as a tv tuner or spread/split your desktop. Running two video cards can be a massive headache.

Most importantly, most two card set-ups are AGP and PCI...yeah, the old PCI. So...you can't have two identical cards if they're both AGP...you only have one AGP slot. Again, I'm not all that up on these new PCI Express cards...but I'd imagine the motherboard would only have one PCI-E slot for one PCI-E card.

Drop the second vid card and get a REAL soundcard and an extra hard drive...this switch should be fairly equal in cost. If you really want to do the TV tuner thing (like I do)...get yourself one of the ATI All in Wonder series of cards that do all I mentioned above.

-[CfH]-Server Admin
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Audhumla
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 9:36 pm  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

I've already got an 80 gig external.

The Crimson King
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 9:39 pm  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

*agrees with chips*
i gotta remember that website. convince my dad to buy from there. post your review of how your computer is when you get it, my dads gonna want proof its reliable. he's paranoid with buying things online (except for that van he bought from NJ a year ago...)

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Chips
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 9:52 pm  Reply with quote

Audhumla wrote:
I've already got an 80 gig external.

I have a 120 gig USB 2.0 external also.

But...having your OS on one smaller drive and all your apps and games on another makes for smoother sailing. I have a 16 gig drive for my two OS's (win 98se and win xp pro), all my internet and all my office apps. Everything else including graphics apps and games are on a different 120 gig internal. Read/write times from your games are faster cause they're not mixed in with requests from your OS to the same drive.

HINT: If you can, make a partition for just the windows swap file. This will mean the drive your OS is on will fragment less...leading to less maintenance.

-[CfH]-Server Admin
gilliam
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 11:01 pm  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

take it from someone who has a similar setup already. SLI dual video cards WILL work in that mobo but theres only a few apps/games that will take advantage of SLI dual cards. drop the 2 optical drives and get an EMPEREX(or EMPREX) 16X DVD-almosteverything drive.Razz

use your existing case and upgrade the guts unless the case is good.

gilliam wrote:
info from EVEREST Home Edition ( http://www.lavalys.com/ )
Code:

Computer   
Operating System   Microsoft Windows XP Professional
OS Service Pack   Service Pack 2
DirectX   4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)
Computer Name   VESPA
User Name   Kevin

Motherboard   
CPU Type   AMD Athlon 64, 2100 MHz (10 x 210) >>>(thats athlon64 3200+)
Motherboard Name   Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe  (3 PCI, 2 PCI-E x1, 2 PCI-E x16, 4 DDR DIMM, Audio, Dual Gigabit LAN, IEEE-1394)
Motherboard Chipset   nVIDIA nForce4 SLI, AMD Hammer
System Memory   1024 MB  (DDR SDRAM)
BIOS Type   Award (04/29/05)

Display   
Video Adapter   NVIDIA GeForce 6600 GT  (128 MB)
3D Accelerator   nVIDIA GeForce 6600 GT PCI-E
Monitor   Samsung SyncMaster 711N/712N  [17" LCD]  (HCJXB18502)

Multimedia   
Audio Adapter   nVIDIA MCP04 - Audio Codec Interface

Storage   
IDE Controller   NVIDIA nForce4 ADMA Controller
IDE Controller   NVIDIA nForce4 Parallel ATA Controller
Disk Drive   HDS722525VLSA80  (250 GB, 7200 RPM, SATA)
Disk Drive   HDS722516VLAT80  (160 GB, 7200 RPM, Ultra-ATA/100)
Optical Drive   DVDRW IDE 16X
SMART Hard Disks Status   OK

Partitions   
C: (NTFS)   238472 MB (77790 MB free)
E: (NTFS)   157065 MB (22695 MB free)
Total Size   386.3 GB (98.1 GB free)

Input   
Keyboard   Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard
Mouse   Microsoft USB IntelliMouse Optical

Network   
Network Adapter   Marvell Yukon 88E8001/8003/8010 PCI Gigabit Ethernet Controller  (192.168.0.11)

Peripherals   
Printer   \\http://192.168.0.100\lan_printer_1
Printer   Tektronix Phaser 240 17
USB1 Controller   nVIDIA MCP04 - OHCI USB Controller
USB2 Controller   nVIDIA MCP04 - EHCI USB 2.0 Controller
USB Device   Microsoft USB IntelliMouse Optical

jarrett4
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 12:02 am  Reply with quote
Forum Sniper
Forum Sniper

If you do go for just one video card the X800 should be good. I have it in my new computer and it runs HL2 and the source mods great. I've also played the Age of Empires 3 demo on it today with all the graphics setting turned all the way up and only got a little slow down when I had massive amounts of action going on the screen.

-[CfH]-Server Admin
Torturedevice
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 12:12 am  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

just buy all the parts and build it yourself, save some cash.
Audhumla
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 11:20 am  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

My idea now
Quote:
System Summary
CASE : HOT NEW! Xplorer Mid-Tower Case 420W W/ WINDOW & LCD Temperature Display (Black Case w/Silver Face)
CPU : (939-pin) AMD ATHLON™64 3700+ CPU w/ Hyper Transport Technology
MOTHERBOARD : (Sckt939)ASUS A8N-SLI nForce4 SLI Chipset SATA RAID Dual PCIE MB w/Gb-LAN,USB2.0,IEEE-1394,&7.1Audio
VIDEO CARD : ATI RADEON X800 GT 256MB 16X PCI EXPRESS VIDEO CARD
VIDEO CARD 2 : NONE
Hard Drive 2 : 80GB Hard Drive (SATA150 - Seagate 80GB 7200RPM 8MB Cache Hard Drive)
Optical Drive : (Special Price) LG GWA-4161 16X DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW DRIVE DUAL LAYER (BLACK COLOR)
Optical Drive 2 : NONE
SOUND : Creative Labs SB Audigy-2 ZS 7.1
Price: $1339.00

If only I could get $2 off....

I added a second HD, went to one optical drive, went for a better sound card and speaker set, and went to one (albeit better) video card.

This look good?

Chips
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 11:37 am  Reply with quote

Audhumla wrote:
If only I could get $2 off....

Looking better. Good Idea

How much is an upgrade from the Corsair memory Question

Corsair is teh sux. Bad Idea

-[CfH]-Server Admin
Hurricane
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 1:01 pm  Reply with quote
Forum Medic
Forum Medic

Looks good.

Howling Man is 1337 wrote:
The sniper is what we like to call a 'gateway class'. It opens the door to more unsanitary, unsightly games like Counterstrike. Friends dont' let friends snipe.

Just say no.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger