Chips' Fun House Forum Index

View next topic
View previous topic
Page 1 of 1
Chips' Fun House Forum Index  ~  General Server Notices  ~  IP Changes for My Home Servers
Chips
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 4:48 pm  Reply with quote
Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

[ISP rant] So...1/2 hour before our match last night, I boot up my laptop and my desktop to get things in order. I can't connect to ANYTHING. Frantic calls to my ISP left me in a loop of recorded "do this and that" messages...they're fricken useless. I just hung up.

Because I use port forwarding on my router (if you don't understand the need for this, forget it) which means with my set-up, I must tell my hardware what my ip, subnet mask and DNS servers are. Usually, your router and windows itself, can determine this info automatically. In the odd chance that something might have happened here, I set my equipment to do just that....and presto, everything worked. Confused

After almost 3 years of having the same IP address, the bastages changed it...without even notifying anyone. I suppose they feel all their customers are total n00bs and idiots and don't need to know when this will happen. BTW...I only had a hint that this may be the cause because they changed their DNS servers last week without notifying anyone. (DNS servers convert www.msn.com to it's IP number so you can reach them.)

So I reenter all the correct info...and I'm fine again. Got our main server converted, the first round of our match completed and converted the main server back. Then...everything went dead again. THE BASTAGES CHANGED MY IP AGAIN IN LESS THAN AN HOUR. Mad

All seems to be fine again...for the moment at least. Very Happy [/rant]

So...

Those of you that have my home servers in your favorites, TFC STA Practice, TFC Skills, HL2CTF, HL2DM and CS:Source...please note that my home IP has changed. I've posted the correct info in the "Server Information" thread.

My new IP is: 67.80.221.165
above edited...again.

Last edited by Chips on Wed Sep 07, 2005 10:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

The only good game, is a fair game...
Why do we park on driveways and drive on parkways! George Carlin - 1937-2008

-[CfH]-Server Admin
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Mr. Happy
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 4:58 pm  Reply with quote
Forum Sniper
Forum Sniper

Do you have (pay for) a static IP addy? If it's dynamic, then you've been fortunate to keep it so long. And once you had it, the DHCP protocol would not flush the lease unless the service was restarted or the server hosting it was rebooted . . . [edit: or you were inactive for a while]

SHeesh

BTW, Verizon FiOS (fiber optic to the home)
http://www22.verizon.com/FiosForHome/channels/Fios/HighSpeedInternetForHome.asp?LOBCode=C&PromoTCode=FIOhp&PromoSrcCode=L&POEId=TL1HP

Maximum Connection Speed* Monthly Price Range
Up to 5 Mbps/2 Mbps $34.95 - $39.95

Up to 15 Mbps/2 Mbps $44.95 - $49.95

Up to 30 Mbps/5 Mbps $179.95 - $199.95

The TOS for consumer service does not permit server hosting . . .

BUT DAMN, 15Mbps DOWNLOAD!!!!
WOOHOO.wav!!!!!

What other server let's you do stuff like this?? -Chips
-[CfH]-Server Admin
Chips
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 5:47 pm  Reply with quote

AngryOldMan wrote:
Do you have (pay for) a static IP addy? If it's dynamic, then you've been fortunate to keep it so long.
No...I don't pay for that. And I've been both lucky and unlucky having a single IP for so long. It helps with not having to give out new information constantly...but it hurts in that I typically get 7 to 13 attacks of some kind on a daily basis. Sitting targets are easier to hit. Razz I run two firewalls (hardware on router and software on my machines) and good anti-viri...I'd be dead without it. This stuff catches attempts all day long. Shocked

AngryOldMan wrote:
The TOS for consumer service does not permit server hosting . . .

Shuuuuush...I know that. Razz
If you remember, I used to run our main server on my home box till my ISP ramped me down. Running them occasionally now hasn't been a problem. Good Idea

-[CfH]-Server Admin
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Chips
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 10:11 pm  Reply with quote

I can't believe it happened again... Crying or Very sad

-[CfH]-Server Admin
The Crimson King
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 10:26 pm  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

at least your ip doesn't change every time you log onto the internet..

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Chips
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 10:31 pm  Reply with quote

No...mine's just changing WHILE I'M ON TEH INTERNET Mad

mY ISP is clueless as to what's happening...although, I think my own software is trying to tell me something. It seems their DCHP servers are not holding my "lease time" long enough. It looks as though they ramped up the value trememdously from what it was...hopefully, that will solve the issue.

-[CfH]-Server Admin
CBC
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 9:10 am  Reply with quote
Forum Medic
Forum Medic

It'll keep happening, welcome to dynamic IP land. I had a static for about 2 yrs then we swapped modems and have been dynamic ever since. My IP gets released randomly and changes daily/weekly

9-11-01
Mr. Happy
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 1:28 pm  Reply with quote
Forum Sniper
Forum Sniper

Hmmmmm, mid-session? See if you can tell approximately how long between address renewal and get an idea how long the lease is for.

What other server let's you do stuff like this?? -Chips
-[CfH]-Server Admin
Chips
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 1:14 pm  Reply with quote

Well, it's changed again. Crying or Very sad

At least this time, I got my ISP to admit that they're having problems with this while migrating some servers on their end. They say it should only be a few more days till this subsides. No point in posting my new IP till they get this sorted out. If I happen to put up one of my home servers, I'll post my current IP at that time.

<---keeps fingers crossed.

-[CfH]-Server Admin
gilliam
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 6:08 am  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

i changed from dynu.com to http://www.no-ip.com/
i have the subdomain gilliam.servegame.com that dynamically redirects to my home ip. many routers are compatible w/ no-ip.com now. if a dynamic DNS entry isnt in your router configs, look on its manufacture website for a firmware update.