Chips' Fun House Forum Index

View next topic
View previous topic
Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Chips' Fun House Forum Index  ~  Computers  ~  The best video card???????
bambam
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 10:57 pm  Reply with quote
Forum HW
Forum HW

Location: Tenn.about 30mins from chattanooga. ever hear of Dunlap?? didnt think so

Hey people Very Happy i have Q I have a base dell rig 4550 seires. I want to buy a better video card I believe mine is a nividia 420 hehe 420. I just bought farcry and its pretty laggy unless i bring down the vid settings but i dont want to kill the look of the game so i decided not to play it or buy any other games untill I can figure out what card I should buy. Any suggestions? Question oh and it has an intell4 processer so i think im good there. Good Idea

The Crimson King
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 11:02 pm  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

first of all, its a dell. thats your biggest problem. second, ATI PWNS Nvidia up the wall, i suggest the ATI Radeon 9800 all in wonder. second fastest card out, and will be all you need for the next year or more. at bestbuy, you could buy it for 150$ which is better then its previous 250$. it is also called the Radeon 2006 (i think thats the full name) has hydravision capabilites along with a cable jack so you can watch tv and pwn n00bs at the same time.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Hurricane
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 11:09 pm  Reply with quote
Forum Medic
Forum Medic

Okay, you have a GeForce 4 MX420. That's a 64 MB card, if I'm not mistaken. I'll need to know what types of slots you have, whether it's PCI (White slots), or AGP (Brown Slots).

If it's PCI only, like this Dell I'm using here, the best you can buy is a NVidia GeForce FX5500 with 256MB of DDR memory, or a ATI Radeon 9200SE with also, 256MB of DDR memory. The FX5500 runs you about $90 due to it being PCI, and not AGP. and as for the Radeon, $95-$110.
Those prices I found at Pricewatch.

As for AGP, The top of the line on the NVidia side is the GeForce 6800 Ultra with 256MB of DDR. ATi offers the Radeon X850, which is the crown gem of their line currently. These top of the line cards will run you 350-400 dollars.

If you're looking for something around a hundred, my choices would be for AGP:

ATI Radeon X600 Pro (256MB) www.pricewatch.com ($88)
NVidia GeForce 6600 (256MB) www.pricewatch.com ($120)

If you have any questions, let me know.

Howling Man is 1337 wrote:
The sniper is what we like to call a 'gateway class'. It opens the door to more unsanitary, unsightly games like Counterstrike. Friends dont' let friends snipe.

Just say no.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
bambam
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 11:16 pm  Reply with quote
Forum HW
Forum HW

Location: Tenn.about 30mins from chattanooga. ever hear of Dunlap?? didnt think so

wooh Shocked that was quick. thax guys and it is white slots.

Hurricane
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 3:05 am  Reply with quote
Forum Medic
Forum Medic

Are all of them white slots, or is there an offset brown slot?

If it's all white slots, go get a FX5500, or a Radeon 9200, which is the best you can get without getting a new motherboard.

Howling Man is 1337 wrote:
The sniper is what we like to call a 'gateway class'. It opens the door to more unsanitary, unsightly games like Counterstrike. Friends dont' let friends snipe.

Just say no.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Audhumla
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 3:29 am  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

@ Crimson- ATI only pwns nVidia at midrange cards like the 9800. When it comes to expensive $500+ cards that rich people buy two of, you gotta go with nVidia. GeForce 7800 >>> X850

(dead)-[CfH]-Server Admin but--- because I could not stop for death, He kindly stopped for me
The Crimson King
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 1:10 pm  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

Audhumla wrote:
@ Crimson- ATI only pwns nVidia at midrange cards like the 9800. When it comes to expensive $500+ cards that rich people buy two of, you gotta go with nVidia. GeForce 7800 >>> X850

very true. and having a job where i work off tips, its pefect for me. does nVidia support Hyrdavision? the only reason i bought this card is for that feature. im currently working on buying another monitor and adapter so i can use it. very useful feature, lets me play the game and run my server at the same time, which would cut out the lagging out. im also in the market for more RAM.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Chips
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 2:00 pm  Reply with quote
Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler
Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

The Crimson King wrote:
im currently working on buying another monitor and adapter so i can use it.

I use the 27 inch TV in our living room as my second monitor. Cool

Hydravision allows you to spread your desktop across two monitors...or...use it as an independent monitor. I can show a slide show or movie file on the TV while surfing the web on my monitor. This feature is only available in the All in Wonder series of ATI video cards which come with a TV tuner also. The latest in the series come with FM radio also.

These cards DO sacrafice some graphic quality to have these extra features...but nothing you'd miss.

I can lay out on the couch and watch my daughter play TFC...or vice versa...so the whole family can watch. Laughing

The only good game, is a fair game...
Why do we park on driveways and drive on parkways! George Carlin - 1937-2008

-[CfH]-Server Admin
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
|2eflex
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 3:27 pm  Reply with quote
Forum Sniper
Forum Sniper

Rofl, im glad i dont have that, i may be searching the pr0n and not know the TV is on.

"No Grease"
bambam
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 9:56 pm  Reply with quote
Forum HW
Forum HW

Laughing he he.wav

The Crimson King
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 9:57 pm  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

|2eflex wrote:
Rofl, im glad i dont have that, i may be searching the pr0n and not know the TV is on.

ROFLMGDAO!! i have the 9600, and have hydra vision, but i don't have the tv tuner. i just need an adapter cable, steal owned's monitor, and baddabing.

Gangsta
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 12:06 am  Reply with quote
Forum Scout
Forum Scout

The Crimson King wrote:
first of all, its a dell. thats your biggest problem. second, ATI PWNS Nvidia up the wall, i suggest the ATI Radeon 9800 all in wonder. second fastest card out, and will be all you need for the next year or more. at bestbuy, you could buy it for 150$ which is better then its previous 250$. it is also called the Radeon 2006 (i think thats the full name) has hydravision capabilites along with a cable jack so you can watch tv and pwn n00bs at the same time.

LOL, Geforce 6600GT and 6800GT Ultra OC owns that video card.There is no way in hell or heaven that that video card is anywhere to the top/fastest cards.. Look for stats up on google pls. Look for 2005 polls.

Monster Man
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 5:10 pm  Reply with quote
Forum HW
Forum HW

So yea, i most definately have a Geforce2 MX 100/200 and 32.0 MB of memory. I play EQ/CS:S/TFC on this piece of crap.

Processor: AMD Anthlon 850 MH 512 MB of Ram

Directx9.0c

My computer is teh s**t. Literally.

Those bots will never be on the server nor care about the server's running.
Nerve-ana
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 6:35 pm  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

Monster Man wrote:
So yea, i most definately have a Geforce2 MX 100/200 and 32.0 MB of memory. I play EQ/CS:S/TFC on this piece of crap.

Processor: AMD Anthlon 850 MH 512 MB of Ram

Directx9.0c

My computer is teh s**t. Literally.

No its not
800mghz
128ram
80gig drive
64mb geforce mx 400/400
My CompUTER IS SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHIIIIIIIITTTTTTT!@32123123

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 8:13 pm  Reply with quote
Forum HW
Forum HW

Yea, you're right. No wonder your mic sucks too.

Those bots will never be on the server nor care about the server's running.