Chips' Fun House Forum Index

View next topic
View previous topic
Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Chips' Fun House Forum Index  ~  Internet Tech  ~  Mozilla Firefox. good or bad?

good or bad?
Yes! i reccomend it!
91%
 91%  [ 21 ]
ewwww....*gag*
8%
 8%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 23

Fjorn
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 1:31 am  Reply with quote
Forum Sniper
Forum Sniper

Actually, according to that article there were 32 for IE... and 28 for firefox

-[CfH]-Server Admin
Toughsox
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 10:30 am  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

Whats Chips says to the nth degree. Microsoft happens to be the scourge of the computing world (ie: Big Brother) and thus, the people writing malicious code have a very easy target. Over the years MS has sent out so much buggy, inept applications that not only required their customers to become unwitting beta-testers for their products, they actually had the NERVE to charge people for the fix in at least 1 of their operating systems. (Anyone remember DoS 6.0???)
Therefore, the hacking community takes great pride in ripping any Microsoft product to shreds whenever possible.
Firefox on the other hand is therotically no better then Explorer, yet for a couple of years was left unscathed by the hacking community. But with its growing popularity, its only a matter of time before it is no better in terms of security.
To put it in simplier terms..........look at gaming itself.
You have a limited amount of time and resources to build a game......
do you make it for PC or APPLE? Which will give you the greatest exposure, thus, the biggest profit? (Use this analogy the same so you make a game for PS2, or X Box or Nintendo?)
The true credo of the hacking community is recognition of their peers. Therefore, the more widely known they become, the more "street cred" they get heaped upon them. Not that I would have ANY idea about any of this first-hand. Anyone remember the AOL hacking-warez underground?
-=WaY=-, -[Legion]-, -xSyNaPsEx-
<~~~~~ AnTWaReZ© Shocked
Using these as simple examples, Microsofts Explorer has been the most widely used browser, thus more attacks, more exploits, blah blah blah.
The more recognition FIREFOX gets, the more others will try to exploit it. Very Happy
And, FYI.....I too use Firefox

Dont mistake my kindness as a sign of weakness!!!!
Offense doesn't win matches.......big friggin' guns do !!! Ole' Painless FTW !!!
-[CfH]-Server Admin
Wahoo
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 10:53 am  Reply with quote
Forum Soldier
Forum Soldier

quoted from website :

Quote:

There is one caveat: Symantec counts only those security flaws that have been confirmed by the vendor. According to security monitoring company Secunia, there are 19 security issues that Microsoft still has to deal with for Internet Explorer, while there are only three for Firefox.

So, therefore firefox easily pwns internet explorer because not only did it find more security flaws but they also will release patches to fix these quicker, they only missed 3 of their flaws.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 10:55 am  Reply with quote
Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Yes...currently. BUT...again, the point was and is, as Firefox gains in popularity...expect it to be exploited as much as IE is exploited now.

Firefox is still the better and apparently more secure option...but it won't be that way for long.

The only good game, is a fair game...
Why do we park on driveways and drive on parkways! George Carlin - 1937-2008

-[CfH]-Server Admin
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
gilliam
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 2:37 pm  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

yes but they still fix them faster Smile Razz

gilliam
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 12:41 am  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

http://www.astalavista.com/?section=news&cmd=details&newsid=1517
astalavista news wrote:
In fact, Mozilla led all browsers in terms of disclosed security flaws. But Symantec cautioned about reading too much into the significant difference between the number of flaws disclosed for either browser.

"The fact that Mozilla browsers had the most vendor confirmed vulnerabilities over the past two six-month periods may suggest that Mozilla is currently acknowledging and fixing vulnerabilities more quickly than other vendors," Symantec wrote in the report.

Hurricane
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 4:10 pm  Reply with quote
Forum Medic
Forum Medic

I still use IE. My Agent forums don't work well with Firefox, and some other things, either.

Howling Man is 1337 wrote:
The sniper is what we like to call a 'gateway class'. It opens the door to more unsanitary, unsightly games like Counterstrike. Friends dont' let friends snipe.

Just say no.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Chips
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 6:18 pm  Reply with quote

I use both...I've long ago tamed IE and taught it to behave. The correct security settings along with good, properly configured firewall and anti-virus programs is what it takes to be fairly safe on the net today.

Of course, NOT venturing to sights you feel may be a threat is a smart course of action also. Downloading and installing unknown programs is a major cause of infections and spyware also. Know the source, and understand if that source is trust or not.

The only good game, is a fair game...
Why do we park on driveways and drive on parkways! George Carlin - 1937-2008

-[CfH]-Server Admin
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Bonsai
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 9:58 pm  Reply with quote
Forum Sniper
Forum Sniper

Mozilla new age Oh Yeah

-[CfH]-Server Admin
boat16215
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 6:39 am  Reply with quote

Nirvana wrote:
Chips.

I will never understand all of the politics.
kibblesnbits
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:33 pm  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

Are you trying to attain the rank of forum hw by today or something?

www.GuildWarsRealm.net GG site