Chips' Fun House Forum Index

View next topic
View previous topic
Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Chips' Fun House Forum Index  ~  Questions, Suggestions and Recommendations  ~  Changes to Server Rules ?

Tighten our Server Rules to include camping, exploits and "needless" infecting?
No...they're fine the way they are.
54%
 54%  [ 12 ]
Yes...for goodness sakes...stop the insanity.
45%
 45%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 22

Chips
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 6:00 am  Reply with quote
Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler
Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

We've always played it rather loose around here...maybe at times, too lose. The reason we've never had any really strict rules is simple...to attract the new players of the game with some fun and wacky play and to have some fun ourselves. You can't really expect someone new to the game to understand what's "expected" or "typical". That's something we've learned over time by visiting numerous servers. Our limited rules have also made it easier to admin the server...we do have rules, but very few. I've always felt the more talented players could (and would) play an "expected style" while pulling the occasional joke on a player...and allow the new player some freedom to do and learn.

Currently...spawn camping, exploits and rampant infecting medics are tolerated (medics whose sole purpose is to infect and nothing else). I've grown more concerned about this as we have had really talented players doing all of the above...almost to spite our lack of such rules. They usually say "well, it's fun"...but it's not much fun for the folks they're doing it to. Most, including myself, end up just leaving the server until it calms down. The newer players that try these things usually end up getting pwned...so new players doing these things is not the problem.

I'd like your opinions on whether or not we should consider adding such rules. I'd also like to know of other rule changes we might consider.

This is not to say the rules will definitely be changed...just opening it up for discussion.

The only good game, is a fair game...
Why do we park on driveways and drive on parkways! George Carlin - 1937-2008

-[CfH]-Server Admin
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
The Howling Man
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 7:37 am  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

As you said, the people capable of doing it all should know better Bad Idea

Lizzeh`
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 8:48 am  Reply with quote
Forum Soldier
Forum Soldier

A great example would a guy name "ji" I was fooling around as pyro and challenging Menace down in the basement on 2fort. The lil ****er would not stop concing up and infecting. I finally got tired of my team mates infecting me because of him so I went sniper and owned his ass. He just wouldn't quit. Finally called him a llama and I guess he couldn't read. I didn't leave the server because I figured him out in the last 15 minutes and he rarely touched me. I really wanted him kicked but I knew that wouldn't happened so I screwed him over :p

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 8:48 am  Reply with quote
Forum Soldier
Forum Soldier

Right on! Medic infecting is one thing but spawn-camping as medic infecting....and spy nading, demo-piping/detpacking spawn is total ca-ca!! Shame on those that do it and know better! Shame, shame SHAME!!! I can see trying to leave a trail of pain if you are tearing ass out of the opponents base with a flag and are trying to deter enemies from stopping/following you but to just go into the base and wreak total havoc just for the sake of being an ass??...seriously people! At our Day of Defeat clan server and forums (cheap plugger here folks) www.mobteam.com server IP 67.19.49.102:27015 where I am admin (yes folks believe it or not I am) when we get players that do a no-no after 3 warns in game (and these are with a PM from an admin) you get a 24 hour ban 1st offense...2nd offense 3 days, 3rd offense one week, 4th offense is a perma ban only removable by head admin. It has helped tremendously weed out the undesireables in our server and forums. We have lost some long time members because they just flat refused to grow up even in a laid back server....go figure...we dont even have a swear filter there and it still works OK with the maturity levels...so I salute you Chips in your decisions!! Good Idea

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 9:13 am  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

Just add "To a certian extent" to the end.

Menace
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 9:18 am  Reply with quote
Forum Soldier
Forum Soldier

dont change em .... it wont work its a pub ... things like that happen in public servers ... thx to the noobs Sad

jarrett4
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 10:39 am  Reply with quote
Forum Sniper
Forum Sniper

At least just get rid of the spawn camping, the rest I can deal with.

-[CfH]-Server Admin
ApexPredator
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 10:52 am  Reply with quote
Forum Soldier
Forum Soldier

Whoa....Lizzeh dropped an "F-Bomb"!? Shocked

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 12:11 pm  Reply with quote
Forum Sniper
Forum Sniper

I think spawn camping should be a big no no, at least not in large amounts, such as pilling, constant piping/detting, infecting when they leave spawn... The rest is regular pub stuff... medic infecting is easy to avoid (I <3 my medic infect defense...) but exploits i think should be allowed in moderation... like on that sniper map where we kept sniping each other into ur base... Yes, I did take advantage of the exploit, but I don't think I should have... So my answer is...

No to spawn camping
Yes to medic infecting
Yes(in moderation) to exploits

"No Grease"
Chance!
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 12:25 pm  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

Bad Idea
the constant chaos as it used to be(is what i prefer), and still 'sorta' is, was my preference. (now that i say that, at times i've thought the exact opposite...)

Last edited by Chance! on Fri Jun 17, 2005 1:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Demasu
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 1:34 pm  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

ApexPredator wrote:

Yeah, and awesome Lizzeh` Good Idea
I vote that we at least get rid of spawn camping, the rest can be fairly easy to deal with, as lizzeh` has proved.

RL the ultimate roleplaying experience
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Nerve-ana
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 2:06 pm  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

Demasu wrote:
ApexPredator wrote:

Yeah, and awesome Lizzeh` Good Idea
I vote that we at least get rid of spawn camping, the rest can be fairly easy to deal with, as lizzeh` has proved.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 2:14 pm  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

I agree. Get rid of spawn camping. Harmless exploits like swimming through the rocks that you are supposed to have to detpack are fine.

Something like running into your spawn on push, and holding the ball to keep a lead should not be allowed.

"Exploit" is a very broad term, and runs from harmless to capable of crashing the server. Exploits, IMO should be legal/not legal on a case-by-case basis.

Medics who only infect are easy enough to deal with, kill them before they get to you, and you're fine.

Spawn camping should be a nono. But the definition of spawn should be defined. Far too often I hear complaints of spawn camping, followed by "I'm not IN your spawn". On maps with doors at the spawn, this is a bit more clear, placing pipes outside them should be a nono (but IMO, ONE spy pill shouldn't be dissallowed.).

Exploits- case-by-case, ones that can crash server/DRASTICALLY change the outcome of a game/good times for all should be a nono. Chophopping should be a nono too.
~
Infecting medics/Sgs in weird places/all lame pub problems- Deal with it
~
Spawn camping- NO PLZ

(dead)-[CfH]-Server Admin but--- because I could not stop for death, He kindly stopped for me
Waddling duK
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 2:43 pm  Reply with quote
Forum Sniper
Forum Sniper

well IMO like others have said, its a pub, stuff happens in a pub, ie : spawn camping, medics infecting, people thorwing spy pills

hey when i see a spy pill near respawn, i jus dont go to that respawn or jus wait a tit and then go.........if i no some-1 i camping my respawn, easy solution; prime a nade and kill his a$$ Very Happy Very Happy

with the medics infecting, i love it...then run at me w/ ma AC vs their MEDKIT...they wont kill me nor infect me on a usual occasion

but hey, its ur server, and u make the rules sodo as u please Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy (to a reasonable extent obviously)
Fjorn
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 3:06 pm  Reply with quote
Forum Sniper
Forum Sniper

To be honest...

This IS supposed to be the fun house...

Spawn camping isn't much fun for the team being camped

Medics infecting, lame sure, but it hardly ruins the fun

Exploits... Well, sure its fun to chuck a ng in the ceiling and kill all the snipers, but its not all that fun when in a map like, oh, banana_r to puit the fllag in an impossible to get location

-[CfH]-Server Admin