Chips' Fun House Forum Index

View next topic
View previous topic
Page 1 of 5
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Chips' Fun House Forum Index  ~  Our Clubhouse - General Discussion  ~  CFH Hide :: Official Thread (information, feedback, etc)

How good is this map?
5: Excellent!
27%
 27%  [ 12 ]
4: Good.
41%
 41%  [ 18 ]
3: Okay.
20%
 20%  [ 9 ]
2: Bad.
4%
 4%  [ 2 ]
1: Terrible!
4%
 4%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 43

Creamy White Sponge
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 8:10 pm  Reply with quote
Forum Sniper
Forum Sniper

CFH Hide

Why the new official thread?

The old thread was getting pretty big and messy. A clean new thread makes information easier to manage.

Introduction

CFH Hide is a map designed in favour of the Chips' Fun House community, although I'd be happy if other TFC servers used this map too. There are 2 teams with identical bases, other than it's colour. They must hide their own bag of chips (found in their lobby) anywhere in the base they like, but preferibly somewhere which will stop (or greatly delay) the other team from finding it.

You may have noticed, banana is a similar map. This is infact based on that, only better according to the people who have played it. It has more hiding spots, and less bugs.

The teams get 60 seconds at the start of each round to hide their bag. During this period the tunnel linking the 2 coloured bases is locked, thus the other team can't go and grab the enemies bag right away.

Once the hiding time is up, the gates are opened. You must work with your team to find the enemies bag, which will be somewhere in their base apart from their spawn room. During the seeking period you or anyone else on your team can't pick up or move your own bag. Note that if someone is still holding their bag when the hiding period ends, they are killed and forced to drop the bag.

On the other hand, if your team is quite large (by that I mean a minimum of 8 players), your team may decide to have 2 people defending the bag in their base. This is ok, just don't make it obvious where the bag is.

Official Room Names

Since communication is an important factor in this map, I strongly recommend you all use the same room names. As I'm the mapper, I have named them the following:

Lobby or Hallway - The main room where the bag starts, also has the capture point and the tunnel linking up the bases upstairs.
Spawn - The room where you all join the game at, and where you appear if you are killed or when the round resets. Resupplies are avaliable in this room. Note, you can't take your own teams bag in here.
Truck or Lorry - The room with the gigantic cargo truck/lorry inside. Truck is a more American term, where lorry is a more british term. They both mean the same thing. This room also has a few crates, trailer, lift, 1 computer, and tire piles.
Cargo or Warehouse - The room with masses of crates. That is all that is in there! Storage.
Computer or Office - The room with 4 computers, the super computers, and filing cabinets. It has a cool glass ceiling.
Boiler - The room with the coloured pipe inside, and a machine making an airflow type noise. There is a pile of small crates to the left.
Alley - The outdoor area with 3 dumpsters, and barbed wire fencing. This is NOT a roof, it is infact an alley. Watch out for the explosives! Note, you can only get to this area via a vent.
Generator - The room underground with green damp bricks, and the machine that has 3 spinning wheels. There are a couple of crates, and a locked door.

Team Limits

Blue and Red only, scout only, unlimited player count per team.

Scoring

10 points, for capturing the enemies bag. This goes to the person who captured it, and the team.

Once a bag is sucsessfully captured, everyone is frozen and the screen turns to the colour of the winning team. Just wait for the round to reset, then it's hiding time again.

Tips for Hiding

Here are some tips when hiding the bag:

1: Work as a team.

By this, I mean don't all rush to go and grab the bag so you can hide it yourself. Just go to the lobby in an orderly manner, and whoever gets their first has it.

You should all work together on finding a good spot. Think about where you've hidden it before, and how easilly it was found there. You should all be suggesting spots to hide it in, with reason too. Use the team say for this, you don't want to give away your plans!

2: Picking your spot.

So, the more complicated the spot is the harder it must be to find, right? Wrong. So, you've found some really complicated spot. So what? That doesn't mean the enemy team doesn't know about it, neither does it mean it's good.

Quite often I have found that simpler spots are better to use than complicated ones. Why? Most of the time, the enemy expects you to have hidden your bag in a hard to reach or complicated spot, and run right past the more simple ones. Exceptions of this are smart players, or people who have read this.

When I say simple, I don't mean in the middle of a room completely open. That's just stupid! Maybe hidden around an object? Not complicated, but not bad.

3: No fighting!

Seriously, if the rest of your team have agreed on a good spot to hide the bag from the enemy, don't be the arsehole by picking it up and moving it to somewhere else because you just want to. By doing that, you are lacking both curtisy and teamwork, and therefore you suck.

If you really feel that the bag is in a bad place, voice your opinion rather than piss off your team. Being an arsehole just wastes your valuable hiding time, and thus providing the enemy team with points when they find your badly positioned bag due to fighting over it.

4: Use the same room names.

Communication is one of the most important parts of teamwork. If you are all using different names for the room, you are all going to end up in the wrong place, and therefore lose the round. Try and all use the default names which I have specified above. It will seriously help.

Be sure you use team say rather than normal say for sensitive messages, such as plans on hiding the bag (including suggestions and reasons), and the whereabouts of the enemy players/bag.

Voice communication is better, due to it being faster than typing, but if "sv_alltalk" on the server is set to 1, then the other team can hear what you say. If this is the case, don't use voice.

5: Remember, there is a time limit!

You only get 60 seconds to hide the bag. Don't fart about chosing where to hide it. Breifly discuss it with your team if required, but once the time is up, that's it. The bag's hidden spot is where the bag is now.

Holding the bag upon time up will kill the person holding it. This can actually be used to an advantage in some cases, because items aren't thrown when you die with them; they are dropped, meaning they end up exactly where the dead body is. If you can't throw the bag into a spot exacly how it's meant to be, you can purposely wait for the time up to position the bag exactly where you want it.

Alternatively, you could just learn how to throw items properly.

Once the time is up, your teams bag is unmoveable by your team. It can only be moved by the enemy when they find it!

Tips for Seeking

Here are some tips from the mapper when finding the bag:

1: Work as a team.

What I found in the beta versions of the map, is that one person runs to the enemy base into a room, and EVERYONE else just follows him/her! That is just plain retarded. Split up! You will cover much more surface area apart than grouped up.

Covering more surface area in a lower time, in most cases means you find the enemies bag quicker. An exception is if you somewhat miss the bag, but don't worry - if your all apart, when someone else enters the room they won't miss it like you did (hopefull).

Don't bother saying things like "I've already looked in that room, idiot". That doesn't mean it's not there. If you really must say this, ensure you've checked every possible location in the room first.

2: Be sure to scan the entire room.

If you are all split up like you should be, then you should be sure to search the entire room. Both simple spots, and complicated ones. You don't know where the enemy bag is, unless you cheated. Most players tend to try and put the bag in a more complicated spot.

You can cheat by going into spectator mode during the hiding period, and following the person with the bag. This is naughty and you will get caught very quickly!

3: Think!

Ask yourself the following questions:

Where did the team last hide the bag?
Maybe they are stupid enough to put it there again! If they are smart they will not, unless you didn't find it in the last round.

What other spots have they used in this game?
The same spot isn't often used twice in a row. Most players try and use a new spot for each round. The game is normally short enough for them to be able to do that. If you didn't find the bag in the last room, they may hide it in the same place, which is why you should check missed spots from the previous round.

Did you hear any footsteps before the hiding period was over?
If loads of players on their team all came from one room near the end, then it's pretty likely the bag is there. Headphones or surround sound will help you notice things like this.

Where are they aggressively defending?
Absolute giveaway. Stupid players defend the exact spot where the bag is aggressively, or the room it's in. Tell your team which areas are being strongly defended.

4: Communication is vital!

Talk to your team. Tell them where the bag isn't, so they don't have to search it too. Be sure you actually do know it's not there before saying this info.

Listen to what your team has to say during their search.

Be sure you all use the same names for rooms too, or the information your team players are passing to each other won't be of much use.

5: Defending your bag.

Right, so your defending your own bag during the seek, while everyone else seeks?

Firstly, you should only do this when the team is fairly large (8 players per team or more).

Don't stay in the same room as the bag, or worse still, the same part of the room. You don't want to give away where the bag is! Most players presume if you are defending at a certain spot the bag is near, so don't stand near it! Maybe you should agressively defend a different part of the room to trick them.

Rather than defend aggressively, be passive and ready. You could actually wait near your bag, and wait for the enemy to find it before you attempt to hurt and stop them.

Caltrops are a giveaway! An enemy player finds a spot where there are loads of caltrops, and thinks "hmm I wonder where the bag is? duhh stupid enemies! har har" If the bag really is where you threw all your caltrops, slap yourself - hard. You might aswell just tell them where the bag is, eh?

Downloads

Now that you've read all that crap (or at least I like to think you have), here are the damn files at last.

Latest version: Final, released 11th June 2005.

Select a download:

Complete Package and Screenshots (Web Page)
Upgrade from Beta 2 (Changed Files Only)

Keeping up to Date

To keep yourself updated with the latest information, here are some links to help:

Subscribe to this topic so you receive an E-Mail when a new reply is made.
Bookmark the following link: http://www.chipsfunhouse.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1034

I will be posting updates to the map in this topic. Also, this topic will be used for bug reports, suggestions, and comments.

Help! When I play this online, the server says my map differs!

This occurs because you have an out-of-date map. This is likely to occur when you have had an alpha or beta version of this map. I should have used better filenames, sorry.

To resolve this problem, the simplest thing you can do is delete all cfh_hide files and from your TFC maps folder, that includes the BSP and TXT files (could be more). When you next play this map at most servers, it will then be downloaded before you play it directly. If you prefer, you can simply download the package above called Changed Files Only and install that.

Found a bug? Some other problem?

Please reply in THIS thread with as much information as possible, including a screenshot or video/demo. Please ensure the screenshot is in JPEG format, not bitmap - they are far too massive.

The more information you provide, the easier it will be for me to think of a feasible sollution.

Suggestions? Comments?

Just reply to this thread with them. Direct abusive notes to our high priority feedback system here, thanks.

Thanks

Thanks for everyone who alpha tested this map, provided content, feedback, etc. Full credits are inside the map's text file, shown when selecting a team during gameplay.

Oh, and you for your interest in it.

-- Creamy White Sponge (Mapper), Adam Reece.

PS. System of a Down pwn.

Last edited by Creamy White Sponge on Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:24 am; edited 9 times in total

Adam Reece
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Nerve-ana
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 8:18 pm  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

did u get those 2 new imposible spots fixed??

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 8:19 pm  Reply with quote
Forum Sniper
Forum Sniper

Please put them here with screenies, I'm not reading the other thread anymore - it got too long and out of control, which is why I made this.

Thanks Dragon Smile

Adam Reece
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number
FastEddy
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 8:21 pm  Reply with quote
Forum Medic
Forum Medic

I refuse to retake screenshots and re-post them. Look them up. Bad Idea

Creamy White Sponge
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 8:25 pm  Reply with quote
Forum Sniper
Forum Sniper

If they are on the other topic, simply edit your post and then paste it in a reply here :p

Adam Reece
Nerve-ana
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 8:25 pm  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

Ok Here it is

Imp. #1
http://www.phantomrpg.com/upload/files/cfh_hide0000.bmp

Imp. #2
http://www.phantomrpg.com/upload/files/cfh_hide0001.bmp

Last edited by Nerve-ana on Sun May 29, 2005 8:41 pm; edited 3 times in total

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 8:26 pm  Reply with quote
Forum Sniper
Forum Sniper

Okay, thanks Smile

Adam Reece
|2eflex
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 12:36 am  Reply with quote
Forum Sniper
Forum Sniper

i think they are both possible... test them out

"No Grease"
FastEddy
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 1:15 am  Reply with quote
Forum Medic
Forum Medic

Dude, we wouldnt have posted them if they weren't impossible...

The one in the crates... If you toss it in the far corner, you cant get it from top, or front, and other sides are blocked by crates... The space is too small to crouch into from top or front.. Therefore, It's impossible.

The second spot, is USUALLY possible.. However, if you throw it right, like we have before.... It sits between corner of crate and the wall of the metal box, and you simply can't get it...

Creamy White Sponge
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 6:33 am  Reply with quote
Forum Sniper
Forum Sniper

That first one I have already fixed ready for the next compile.

I'll go and do something about the second one now.

Thanks Nirvana Smile

BTW could you please post screenies as a jpeg in future, BMP's are far to massive, thanks mate Smile

Adam Reece
Nerve-ana
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 8:15 am  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

NP Good Idea and ill keep the .jpeg thing in mind
Go Liverpool!

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 10:25 am  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

Then there are mine, sorry for the big white space but here they are. They also turned out kinda dark. it's inside the trailer.

http://img281.echo.cx/my.php?image=cfhhide00015to.jpg
http://img281.echo.cx/my.php?image=cfhhide00002ud.jpg

RL the ultimate roleplaying experience
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Creamy White Sponge
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 10:44 am  Reply with quote
Forum Sniper
Forum Sniper

That's the one nirvana just pointed out, I'll go and fix it.

Anyone found any more? It's been in beta for a while. Would be nice to make it final Wink

Adam Reece
Creamy White Sponge
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 2:37 pm  Reply with quote
Forum Sniper
Forum Sniper

I'll be working on this map quite a bit in this week now.

I'd like to too submit as many bugs as you can Wink I'm pretty confident that they have all (or mostly) been found, so I'd like to get this map onto final version asap.

Thanks.

I've just worked through the bugs stated, and fixed them all.

Adam Reece
Chips
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 4:54 pm  Reply with quote
Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler
Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

I smell a final release... Good Idea

The only good game, is a fair game...
Why do we park on driveways and drive on parkways! George Carlin - 1937-2008

-[CfH]-Server Admin
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger