Chips' Fun House Forum Index

View next topic
View previous topic
Page 1 of 1
Chips' Fun House Forum Index  ~  Our Clubhouse - General Discussion  ~  Resumes!
bird^
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:50 am  Reply with quote
Forum Soldier
Forum Soldier

I know most of the users of this forum are pretty young, so I might now be able to get any help here. Maybe some of the older folks *ahem*chips*cough* can help me out with this one.

I've never had to write a resume before, so obviously I'm very inexperienced with this sort of thing. I did a whole bunch of searches on google, but there is a HUGE amount of information out there, its hard to know whats right.

-What are some styles/formats that have worked for you?
-Being pretty young (20) should I focus more on job experience or my education?
-Big and fancy (borders and headings and all that jazz) or keep it simple?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:53 pm  Reply with quote
Forum Soldier
Forum Soldier

try looking up some resumes online, they tend to keep to a particular style, just try to immitate that.
You will obviously need to note down your past job experience, complete with your job title, a brief description of your role, and how long you were there for. This way, they can send out to that place of employment and ask for a reference (so don't go making up stuff or they'll catch you Razz) If you don't have much job experience, then you should mention important things and include expamples from your education, for example, working in a team, communication, things like that.

It's also important (if you can) to tailor your resume based on the job you are going for, for example, an IT person wouldn't care how well you draw stuff.

You do not need big and fancy, keep it simple, remember, you want your resume to be clear, understandable, and precise. If they see some big fancy page with text they can't read and a big border around it, they might want to throw it to one side. Though I would keep headings, as it will nicely seperate out different things.

Oh, and if your only job experience is something simple like doing a paper round, I wouldn't try to describe "working in a team" for example, from that.

While I was typing this I remembered the word "competences", google this and it should be of a lot of help. Competences like communication, leadership, etc.

If you are thinking about applying somewhere, ask anyone if they know how to do a proper work interview, and test your abilities on them, they can give you a lot of great advice on how to handle an interview and it should really help. If you get accepted, take advantage of training, especially training to help better yourself at interviews, it's all great help.

I maybe only 20 myself but I worked in HR for a year Razz

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:30 pm  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

my brother has his resumes, i can email ya them if ya want cause he spent months trying to become a full-time texas hold em dealer in A.C. (Atlantic City), but he's only part-time right now. Basically what wahoo said is what ya have to put down or do.

--- Pete + Sam + Dean = chevelle = teh greatest ---

-[CfH]-Server Admin
AzngurL
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:55 pm  Reply with quote
Forum Soldier
Forum Soldier

i made a resume in the 8thgrade for a computer class.... for some reason... lol i dont remember the format but you just need to make yourself seem like you are suitable for the job... no fake stuff... :]

wahoo prolly said it all i didnt read it
Chips
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:38 am  Reply with quote
Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler
Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

* Nothing fancy...no borders or colors.
* Your're young...fill up two pages of work & school.
* tailor your resume to the job...if you can.

As your work history grows...it will be hard to keep it under two pages. But, I've read countless times that most HR folks don't even look at a resume longer that two pages. Food for thought.

Good luck. Cool

The only good game, is a fair game...
Why do we park on driveways and drive on parkways! George Carlin - 1937-2008

-[CfH]-Server Admin
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
-SoldierBoy-
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:38 pm  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

Chips wrote:
* Nothing fancy...no borders or colors.
* Your're young...fill up two pages of work & school.
* tailor your resume to the job...if you can.

As your work history grows...it will be hard to keep it under two pages. But, I've read countless times that most HR folks don't even look at a resume longer that two pages. Food for thought.

Good luck. Cool

Thank you, graduating in May (knock on wood), this stuff is really handy.

Kindbud
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:25 am  Reply with quote
Forum Medic
Forum Medic

u can do what chips and others say or u can spend $50 and get someone to do it for u. somtimes in sme schools they will have people who will help u with this. just an idea...

Have you had a sip from the SHUT THE HELL UP cup today?
Nuck Ulsamytch
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:26 am  Reply with quote
Forum Soldier
Forum Soldier

As one who reads resumes, I don't recommend having a resume over a page long. If your education and work experience require extra an extra page, use a smaller font(but legible), tighten up the gaps between lines (using smaller font size at the carriage return) and put only the important jobs or education that are relevant to the job you are looking for. If you are changing careers, list your previous jobs and possibly add bullet points about the relevence of those jobs to the job you are seeking.
good luck

-[CfH]-Server Admin
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger