View next topic
View previous topic
Page 1 of 1
Chips' Fun House Forum Index  ~  Computers  ~  Secondary Drive Failure
the trife life
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 4:08 pm  Reply with quote
Forum Trolls
Forum Trolls

I'm hoping someone here can help me with this. Late last night my computer abruptly shut itself off, and when I turned it back on, it said that the "secondary drive 0" could not be detected. I tried shutting the machine off and letting it cool down for a bit, and when I turned it back on, the drive was back. About 10 minutes later, I got one of those "delayed write error" prompts in the taskbar and the drive disappeared again. Too tired to deal with it, I shut the computer off and went to sleep.

This morning I woke up and turned the computer back on, and not only was the drive still not being detected, there was now an awkward, rhythmic clicking..."click...click...click" which went on for about 10 minutes before going silent.

So, all things considered, what does it sound like? Could it just be a bad connection - something knocked loose? Or did the delayed write error and clicking confirm the death of my hard drive? What course of action should I take?

And in case anyone is curious...it was a 160 gig drive I used solely for mp3s. I had it filled up to 88 gigs. 14 genre folders with everything uniformly tagged/renamed and in chronological order. A huge loss, but I had way too much music in the first place.

Toughsox
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 5:27 pm  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

Yes Trife, the tell tale clicking is a strong indicator that indeed,the hard drive spun its last mp3 for ya. May it rest in peace......or if you have a hammer, pieces. Laughing

Dont mistake my kindness as a sign of weakness!!!!
Offense doesn't win matches.......big friggin' guns do !!! Ole' Painless FTW !!!
-[CfH]-Server Admin
the trife life
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 5:34 pm  Reply with quote
Forum Trolls
Forum Trolls

What a shame Sad

I had the music backed up on an external HD too, but I cleared it recently in favor of archiving the entire runs of The Sopranos, The Shield, and The Wire. Let this be a lesson to everyone: don't get greedy Bad Idea

Toughsox
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:30 pm  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

Bahhhh...greed is good. I have 2 HDs totalling 750 gigs.....more then 1/2 full. I say, the more the merrier. Laughing

On a serious note. rumor has it you can put a hard drive in the fridge for half an hour, then plug it in and fire it up to get a little life out of it.....the theory is that you can get some of your files off of it. But I myself tried that once with a bad drive......and it didnt work. Pfffffft

Dont mistake my kindness as a sign of weakness!!!!
Offense doesn't win matches.......big friggin' guns do !!! Ole' Painless FTW !!!
-[CfH]-Server Admin
the trife life
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:02 pm  Reply with quote
Forum Trolls
Forum Trolls

Yeah, I'm honestly too lazy to go opening up my computer hoping for a longshot. At the moment I'm re-ripping some of my most valued albums (of the ones I actually bought) and grabbing some stuff from a couple FTPs. I'm in "stranded on a desert island" mode right now, just limiting myself to the essentials.