Page 1 of 1
Chips' Fun House Forum Index  ~  Computers  ~  CfH folding team
Snickers
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 1:08 pm  Reply with quote
Forum Soldier
Forum Soldier

http://folding.stanford.edu

I've made a cfh folding team
Basically folding@home uses your idle cpu cycles to find how proteins "fold" or assemble.

TEAM ID: 48745

Diseases such as Alzheimer's disease, cystic fibrosis, BSE (Mad Cow disease), an inherited form of emphysema, and even many cancers are believed to result from protein misfolding.

It is a good cause.

Download the console client, the graphical client has problems with full screen games (an OpenGL problem)
The console client uses less RAM also.

Put the exe you downloaded into a folder somewhere unless you want your desktop messed up.

Setup is easy just follow what they say.
Put yes on install as system service. It will then become practically invisible to the user (requires system restart)

It is normal for FAH to take 100% CPU. That's how it works, there is no performance loss (unless you have very little RAM, which you should put no to accept work units over 5mb)

Stats page: http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=teampage&teamnum=48745
StaR
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:45 pm  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

I'm not too sure about this.

Sorry, but it seems fishy.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:51 pm  Reply with quote
Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler
Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

It's really not fishy at all. Many efforts like this one have been going on for years...each with it's own objective.

There's no harm to your machine...as it takes up unused cycles. Many are for a worthy cause as this one seems to be.

The only good game, is a fair game...
Why do we park on driveways and drive on parkways! George Carlin - 1937-2008

-[CfH]-Server Admin
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Spider Man
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:05 am  Reply with quote
Forum Sniper
Forum Sniper

I agree with Chips. The SETI (Search for ExtraTerrestial Intelligence) program uses the same method. it's called Dristributed Computing.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distributed_computing

From an issue of Scientific American which I read (don't ask me which one): This started back in the early 90s or even before, when a team at some university linked several hundred computers and made them work together as one. It was originally called a SuperComputing Network, which I will refer to it as.

The idea here is that there are a lot of computers around the world. If you send a different set of data to different computers, those computers crunch the numbers and send the data back to you, you can do a lot more number crunching that way than you can with just one computer.

In essence, each person who downloads the client and connects that client to the server becomes part of a GIANT SuperComputing Network!

---

TFC even does this to an extent. You are basically part of a TFC super computing network whenever you connect to a server. Each client has it own set of data to crunch, then sends the data to the server.

For example, when you press mouse1/pull the trigger/take a shot, you client calculates the trajectory. The end result is sent to the server, which checks if that trajectory passes through/hits the hit box of another player/SG/breakable.

The difference between a super computing network and TFC network is that in a super computing network the server is working on one specific thing, and recives data back relating to that specific thing. In TFC, the server and the client do not work together this way, but they each do their own thing, and the server just syncs the data with each client so that everyone can be in the same map together.

---

Thats basically it in a nutshell.

Anyone, feel free to corect me, I know the technical stuff but my translation to layman may be a little off.

Dark Applepolisher
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 1:00 pm  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

Figured I'd bump this thread.

I started folding recently since I'm leaving my machine on, idling a lot more. I haven't noticed any performance hit whatsoever, the software does a good job of staying out of the way.

I know lots of you bastages leave your computers idling a lot, so you might as well use that for a good cause.

-[CfH]-Server Admin
foot
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 4:54 pm  Reply with quote
Forum Medic
Forum Medic

Yes, I've been doing seti@home workgroups now since 2000 and I hane been sharing cpu cycles with climateprediction.net for over two years. They only run when the screensaver is actvated. no problem for games. Very Happy

gilliam
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 7:55 am  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

bump.
i dusted off my f@h clent and have been crunching all yesterday.

Foxtrot
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 12:21 pm  Reply with quote
Forum HW
Forum HW

Do you win a prize if its your computer that discovers the occurance?
-SoldierBoy-
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 12:32 pm  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

The antidote...to the poison you just drank!