Goto page Previous  1, 2
Chips' Fun House Forum Index  ~  Other Source Games  ~  Garry's Mod V10
Monster Man
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:20 pm  Reply with quote
Forum HW
Forum HW

Garry deserves it.

All who thinks else wise can suck eggs.

Those bots will never be on the server nor care about the server's running.
Hobthebob
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:48 pm  Reply with quote
Forum Soldier
Forum Soldier

buying stuff may be decent and garry may deserve it but it doesn't take away the fact that there are hundreds of other mods and modders that deserve it and aren't anything but satisfaction. If you want to be creative go play tribes 2 construction. That game was made in 2000 and the construction mod still beats garrys mod in many respects. Plus it's free and has many versions of the mod. Since no one mods garrys mod he has no competition and can sell it for money. If there were more mods for hl2 like this one he's be outta luck, and garrys mod might actually have even MORE -if that's possible- options than it does not because of the competition. As it stands, don't let him have a monopoly on mods like his when there are tons of other mods that are just as good if not better, for free.

Demasu
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:29 pm  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

You're just mad cause you don't have the money to buy it.

RL the ultimate roleplaying experience
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Audhumla
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:37 pm  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

There's no need for competition in a construction mod. Garry did it perfectly. Since it doesn't cost him any sort of money to work on his own product, it's inaccurate to make an economic analogy. I'm certain there's no features we're missing out on because it would cost too much R&D for him. It's especially invalid since now that he can actually make money from it, he has a bigger incentive to develop it further, whereas if it was still free, and there was another free mod, the only incentive would be to be the coolest mod on the block.

(dead)-[CfH]-Server Admin but--- because I could not stop for death, He kindly stopped for me
Monster Man
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:03 pm  Reply with quote
Forum HW
Forum HW

if you can make money off of it...do it.

That's why aud isnt a prostitute anymore.

Hobthebob
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:25 pm  Reply with quote
Forum Soldier
Forum Soldier

Even with payment for the game he might run out of ideas eventually. One more reason for competition is because with lots of people working on creating the "best" mod out there, more and more unique ideas will become parts of their mods. He might get ideas from the community, he probably does, but I'd rather play a mod that is competitively coming out with newer and more unique ideas than a mod with no competition that can give you the bare minimum of extra content for ten bucks.

Personally I'd love to see in garrys mod what was done in tribes 2 construction. You had hundreds of pieces and piece combinations available, and if you placed one on the other piece it would automatically weld to the other piece. Houses, cities, ships, space stations, and just about every real building creation was a million times easier to create, which in turn gave you time to add more detail to your creations. You could change the length of a beam with a command and the size, change the color of the walls and beams and pieces of all kinds with a texture swapping gun, so on and so forth. This would be a reality in a competitive mod, where you could have many different versions of the mod for all different situations.

For example, in t2con there was a combat con that excluded some of the features in any of the other con mods, added a higher gravity and different physics, had all the original pieces from the original con mod that excluded the pieces from the newer mods, and it was build forts on opposite sides of the map and fight either by ship, walking, or stealth. Garry has no need to make multiple versions of the mod available or even to add different playstyles without competition and I fear there never will be.

Audhumla
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 4:43 pm  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

What is stopping competition? If anything, seeing that people will actually pay for a construction mod will inspire other people to get to work on one since there's a real reason to.

(dead)-[CfH]-Server Admin but--- because I could not stop for death, He kindly stopped for me
Hobthebob
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:17 pm  Reply with quote
Forum Soldier
Forum Soldier

I hope it works out that way man. I think most people, atleast those who have garrys mod v10 will stick with it because they already payed ten bucks. On the other hand new ideas for the mod could pull in newer players, but what do I know? If I had the modding skill and knowhow I'd do it myself Sad We'll see how things run their course I guess.

StaR
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:35 am  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

well Garry's mod is much more then just building forts and vehicles.
Look at that Malawar Guy, he's made Stools that Valve couldn't think of.
There's also a Wire Mod, an awesome little thing to learn.
Not to mention you got a limitless amount of mods, addons, and new, inventive ideas that it is just like getting something new every time.

The problem I've got is thinking of new ideas...

It's only $10
I found more then that under my bed.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 12:09 pm  Reply with quote
Forum Soldier
Forum Soldier

Not everyone can afford buying a new mod every time a good one comes out though. Once you buy a new computer that can handle the newer games, even some people had to buy new ones to handle hl2, I would expect those people not to want to spend an extra 10 or 20 bucks for every good mod.

I know a few people who have new ideas for this mod. Getting anyone to do anything about it is another thing entirely.

StaR
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:57 pm  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

Okay, if you JUST paid for a new compy,
or the IRS is about to repo your car, THEN you should save your money.

But if you've got the required materials, and you're looking for some creative, inventive fun, GMod is worth it.
Otherwise you can still get the Free Gmod 9.04 Smile

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:29 pm  Reply with quote
Forum HW
Forum HW

Quit complaining. You can spare 10 bucks. If you dont want to fork up the 10 bucks, then Gary's Mod isnt for you. Im sure he wouldnt want you to have it anyway.

He is open to all ideas... look at all the maps that are created, not to mention all the styles of play. Comparing Tribes2 and Gary's Mod v10 is not allowed. So what? You love Tribes2. More people love Gary's Mod v10 and will most likely buy it. And if you dont have a computer that can run Gary's Mod v10, then getting the game is not your problem.