View next topic
View previous topic
Page 1 of 1
Chips' Fun House Forum Index  ~  Computers  ~  region free
tiger
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:21 pm  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

wasnt exactly sure where to put this because it pertains to dvd players also but anyone know of any safe effective region free software out there for computers AND dvd players?

0:00:35 IsLeS PiPeS-[AF] HW NO CONC AIM - said over enemy team_chat about Yur_Mom 35 seconds into the match Very Happy
-[CfH]-Server Admin
Chips
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:01 am  Reply with quote
Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Most software DvD players will allow you to change the region...up to around 10 times I believe, before that functionality is "locked out". These would be the newer DvD drives that use RPC-2 (Regional Playback Control) and is controled by the drives firmware. You can find firmware patches out there to update your drive...but of course, you use them at your own risk. IFyou can defeat your drives firmware, the region checking within the software that you use could still kick in.

The older DvD drives that used RPC-1, counted on the software used to control region checking. There of course were numerous ways around that also. In fact, many of the newer drives are updated with RPC-1 firmware to get rid of the region coding. But again, at your own risk.

In the n0n-pc world, there are actually sites out there now that sell modified, region free players. I imagine they have been modded in some way...these are off the shelf models that have been "fixed" to allow region free playback.

I doubt you'll find one solution to cover both areas...good luck. Neutral

The only good game, is a fair game...
Why do we park on driveways and drive on parkways! George Carlin - 1937-2008

-[CfH]-Server Admin
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
tiger
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:13 pm  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

how can i tell if my comp dvd drive is rpc1 or 2? but im guessing it isnt worth it to mess with the dvd drive on my computer. But when it comes to the dvd players, i know they do sell modded dvd players but does anyone know if there is any risk from those dvd players screwing up and such?

0:00:35 IsLeS PiPeS-[AF] HW NO CONC AIM - said over enemy team_chat about Yur_Mom 35 seconds into the match Very Happy
-[CfH]-Server Admin
Chips
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 2:04 pm  Reply with quote

DvD drives are cheap enough that if you did manage to screw up a firmware upgrade, you could get a new one and start again. Very Happy

I can't imagine a modded, stand alone player would screw up. They have chips added or modded to simply bypass the region checking...not the most difficult of tasks. Wink

The only good game, is a fair game...
Why do we park on driveways and drive on parkways! George Carlin - 1937-2008

-[CfH]-Server Admin
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger