View next topic
View previous topic
Page 1 of 1
Chips' Fun House Forum Index  ~  Mapping & Modeling  ~  AVI Discussion
Controlled Chaos
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 2:27 pm  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

Well i figured i would make this topic in here as it is the only fitting place to do so and maybe someone can make it a sticky or something.

But anyways I was bored today so I decided to do a little messing around and see if i could make an AVI as i have been meaning to for the past 3 months or so. So i followed a Tut on The Cats and made a small one with no music or effects or anything just a clip ior me mowing down some people conced as HW.

I have seen a few people on these forums make some AVIs with effects and text and synched up to music and all that good stuff so i figured i would make this so they can share their advice with some one that is just starting out in this.

So post away as I know i will be now that I got the bug.

Forever Standing United!!!!

-[CfH]-Server Admin
Anshinritsumai
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:14 pm  Reply with quote
Forum Sniper
Forum Sniper

Well first off, recording demos of gameplay is always best, as then you can use a video capture program like FRAPS to record the demo playback without any sort of lag or sound distortion.

After that, you can use some simple program like Windows Movie Maker to put it into a smaller and compressed video format (WMV in Movie Maker), or you can use Adobe Premier, which is what is used by the guys on The Cats for the PotW, and Dust2Dust by Clan 3v.

Adobe Premier would allow you to keep the .avi video format, and compress it; as FRAPS records uncompressed video, making your 1 minute video a 1gig file.

If you have the ability to "obtain" a copy of Adobe Premier (how you get it is upto you), you can have alot of nice editing features. Windows Movie Maker lacks customizations and features, but does a decent job at some basic editing and compression.

Americanboy3
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:51 pm  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

I'm not a pro on movie making. But I've done classes with Windows Movie Maker, and another program (Pinnacle I believe it was called). And WMM, does not have anything close to what Pinnacle had. But if you're making small, movies of things. WMM is perfect IMO.

-"A man tells his stories so many times that he becomes the stories. They live on through him, and in that way he becomes immortal." -Big Fish
Controlled Chaos
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 5:05 pm  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

Actually I got the basics down pretty good from a Tut on the Cats.

I had a demo that recorded from a match saved into my TFC folder. So all i did was find the section of the .dem that i wanted to use by using viewdemo to watch the .dem. After i found the piece that i wanted i just typed in console startdemo <demoname> 30. 30 being the fps that i wanted to use. By doing this it created a whole lot of .bmps into my TFC folder of the portion of the video that i wanted to use.

After I had all the .bmps I just opened Vdub and opened the first .bmp of what i was using. Compressed it and then saved it as an AVi and i was done.

I have never really used Fraps and probably wont use it due to the fact that it costs money to DL. I know there is a trial version available but it has the little fraps logo on the bottom of the screen. The way i did it seams pretty easy and less complicated.

All i was really wondering was effects after making the AVi like using Sony Video Vegas (which I have) and other programs like that.

I know Howling and Demasu have made a few AVIs and a few others as well so I opened this for those people to share some experiences and other things like that. Very Happy Good Idea

Side note: When i made my AVI i was just testing the information that i found on the Tut on the Cats. and it was very informative.

I would like to hear from the maker of Gibs.avi on this subject. Wink Very Happy

Forever Standing United!!!!

-[CfH]-Server Admin
Demasu
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 6:22 pm  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

I use Vegas 4.0 and it's worked great for me so far. I haven't delved deep into what all it can do yet though so right now it's basic text and synching up to music with no fancy effects. When I made my avi I did what ashin said which is recorded a demo pretty much every map I played on, and then later played the demo back and recorded it using fraps. The downside to fraps is that the video files it makes will be bigger the longer you go, about a gig a minute, so unless you have a lot of free time, I'd use virtualdub to compress them down before opening them up in any video editor. Be sure to have a lot of free time when you do this though, when I made my video it took about an hour to get maybe 30 seconds of footage, and it takes a bit of planning to get the video to synch up with the music. Right now I'm actually compiling a video with gmod footage and will put it up on YouTube when it's done, correction, it just got done, it's about 3:45 minutes long, and since I used the raw fraps footage(with one video being almost 2GB) it took 43:36 minutes to render it. It's uploading now and I'll post a link to it here and in the General Discussion forum. And as you can see by how long it took to render the video the main thing you need is patience, oh and I took the footage directly from the game in real-time, and because of that I missed a really good shot, so whenever possible try to take a demo and do whatever you're going to do, and then come back later and record it.

RL the ultimate roleplaying experience
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Demasu
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 6:45 pm  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

Ok, here it is, it isn't synched up well, if at all, besudes the long render time it was a quick video where the longest part was finding music that went ok with it, and was either short enough, or easy enough to fade out without me feeling like I cut off the music just because I was too lazy to get more footage(which I kinda was seeing as how I shut down gmod and would've had to re-creat everything to get more footage). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeBkOpsnqig haev fun with it, leave comments if you want to, and same goes for rating.

RL the ultimate roleplaying experience
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Chips
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 7:26 pm  Reply with quote
Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler
Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

1) Open bitmaps in Vegas by selecting first file and checking "open still image sequence"

2) Select "Use timecode in file"

3) Open .wav, .mp3 etc file. (or drag file to the timeline)

4) Synch to video, edit and render.

Vegas is no toy...it's an extremely potent video editing tool. I much prefer it to Adobe Primiere. It has better and much faster rendering capabilities also...imo.

If you have any questions about Vegas...I'm your man. Cool

The only good game, is a fair game...
Why do we park on driveways and drive on parkways! George Carlin - 1937-2008

-[CfH]-Server Admin
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger