Chips' Fun House Forum Index

View next topic
View previous topic
Page 1 of 1
Chips' Fun House Forum Index  ~  Computers  ~  AMD to buy ATi?
Anshinritsumai
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:58 pm  Reply with quote
Forum Sniper
Forum Sniper

Source: Forbes

I could see a benefit out of this. This way they could have the processors and the video cards work together more fluently and flexibly; producing better chipsets, while we vainly hope to see cheaper prices.

gilliam
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 4:02 pm  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

cool. my 2 fav chip companies pwning each other Razz

so we have gpu on cpu and so much concentrated heat that chips could lite his cigs off of.

Chips
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 4:17 pm  Reply with quote
Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

I have always built with Intel mainboards & chips. The only vid cards I've ever used have been from ATI. Doesn't sound good for me ... Surprised

The only good game, is a fair game...
Why do we park on driveways and drive on parkways! George Carlin - 1937-2008

-[CfH]-Server Admin
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
The Crimson King
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:42 am  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

omg, you're missing out. with Intel, what you see (speeds) is what you get. with AMD, they've proven to go over the posted limits without anything going wrong.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Chips
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:47 am  Reply with quote

Intel chips, on average, can be boosted up to 30% without the slightest whimper. They are deliberately underutilized...dunno why...but they're capable of putting out much more than what they're set to at the factory.

The only good game, is a fair game...
Why do we park on driveways and drive on parkways! George Carlin - 1937-2008

-[CfH]-Server Admin
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
freakn
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 7:04 pm  Reply with quote
Forum Medic
Forum Medic

I've done the low end computer store job (Computer Renisance outside of New Orleans) for a few years, now after college I am working high end IT and consolting.

The store pretty much sold nothing but AMD chips and Cyrix chips (back when cyrix was arround). We sold them cause they were cheap, people would not be happy about the performance, and they would come back and buy more. While AMD chips can go faster than the number on the top, the number on the top is the Max speed the chip runs at in the factory before their test produce errors. (CPU chips are just made in batches, as the VLSI fabrication process improves by finding little defects and constinatly improving, potential speeds increase). Some problems asscoiated with going over AMD's speed will never be expereinced by 95% or so of the users, but they just wanna make sure and slap that number on there.

Intell can be over clocked. The fasting "percentage wise" overclocking I have ever seen done does been with Celeron chips and liquid oil cooling. Intell runs the same test that AMD does, but keeps their sticker speed several notches below the point were things start going wierd.

Intel leads the pack in innovation and advandements, as oposoed to AMD playing catch up. At work now, I will put purchase orders in for very pricy servers or top of the line workstations. I will only order top of the line Pentium D and Xeon. Other than for math people wanting to crunch numbers with a super computer, the AMD 64's are not fully utilized. Anyone with Windows 2000 or Windows XP will get all the benfits out of a HT or Dual Core intel. One day I may be convinced, but right now all I see is the underdog making alot of noise every few months to try to get some attention.

And like someone said before, I personally always use ATI (usaully the most current All In Wonder). Only recomend ATI and NVIDIA. I could see the AMD / ATI combo pushing out alot of grat chipsets. But somehow I also see some new kinds of form factors and expansion slots developed which will make it even harder to shop for accessories and add ons.
The Crimson King
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 11:40 pm  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

well, the good thing about this is, onboard graphics shouldn't suck as hard. =D

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
StaR
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 8:14 pm  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

I don't see why though.

Maybe they're both getting in soem sort of a buisness relationship, making ATI a premire buisness partner.

Kind of like how EVGA has a serious relations with NVidia, whic is how they get the most powerful chips.

I don't think AMD will completely buy ATI, but maybe purchase them, and take some of their profits each year.
They're both different platforms, and I don't think AMD will want to create a transition between them, or ATI doing the same thing.