Chips' Fun House Forum Index

View next topic
View previous topic
Page 1 of 1
Chips' Fun House Forum Index  ~  Computers  ~  Bandwidth Limiting for outside the Subnet
Creamy White Sponge
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:58 pm  Reply with quote
Forum Sniper
Forum Sniper

PLEASE ENSURE YOU READ EVERYTHING BEFORE REPLYING. Please don't reply with "omg search you idiot", belive me I have.

Hi, I have a very big problem when it comes to bandwidth.

My brother is one of the biggest bandwidth "whores" I know. He likes to view 5 people's webcams (maybe more) over MSN, send his webcam to each of those, and do many other activities that use up more bandwidth than needed without thinking that other people here need to use the Internet. I very much doubt he knows that he is using all the bandwidth either.

What I need is a free (NOT shareware, trial, demo, evaluation, or any other 'you must pay for this' type of software) that can limit bandwidth for data that has a destination outside the subnet.

This is a hybrid network (meaning we have multiple switches and transmittion mediums) and a server (Windows Server 2003 Enterprise) box under my desk, however Internet traffic does not go through it; all Internet traffic makes it's way directly to the core switch, then out the router which is connected to that.

I do not have the money to buy a layer 3 switch, those things are overpriced. My router does not have any bandwidth limiting facilities, which sucks.

I did think of putting a second network card in my server, and connecting the router to that so all Internet traffic has to go through my server first. I know that Microsoft ISA server has bandwidth limiting facilities which I could obtain from my college free of charge.

The router is a Netgear DG834 btw, and my current Internet connection has 1 megabit/second of downstream, and 256 kilobits/second of upstream; an ADSL connection, and the router has a built-in ADSL modem. We use gigabit ethernet across the LAN, I don't want to limit data speeds with a local destination. We are a network of 5 computers (3 desktop, 1 laptop, and 1 server).

What I need is either:
  • A way of making my router limit bandwidth (doubtful).
  • Software I can install on the server to limit bandwidth outside the network.
  • Software I can install on each computer to limit bandwidth, prefribly with remote management (so I don't have to goto each computer to configure it).
This software must be free, and I don't want to hear anything stupid like unplug his computer, beat him up, software that is blatently for linux, or software that isn't free; I've heard enough of that.

Any decent suggestions you have I would be most greatful for, thank you.

Adam Reece
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number
CORRAN
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:46 pm  Reply with quote
Forum Soldier
Forum Soldier

Perhaps this is what your looking for:
http://www.download3000.com/download_12808.html

Creamy White Sponge
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 8:05 am  Reply with quote
Forum Sniper
Forum Sniper

That looks marvelous, thanks Smile

Adam Reece
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Nerve-ana
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 11:15 am  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

omg, search you idiot! <3jk

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 10:42 pm  Reply with quote
Forum Soldier
Forum Soldier

I have never used it, so hopefully it actually does everything you needed to do for your bandwidth needs.Good Idea .

RS
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 2:04 am  Reply with quote
Forum Soldier
Forum Soldier

my suggestion: find and lock the ports that msn uses ... that will be funny