Chips' Fun House Forum Index

View next topic
View previous topic
Page 1 of 1
Chips' Fun House Forum Index  ~  Computers  ~  Computer Building 201 - rebuild flooded computer
Mr. Happy
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 7:37 am  Reply with quote
Forum Sniper
Forum Sniper

I lost my computer in a flood and need some help. I've seen some pretty heavy PC building experience on this board and I could use some guidance.

Problem = The "high water mark" is about six inches up inside the case, the memory, HD, power supply, optical drives and CPU were dry, while the motherboard and crappy video card are shot.

Background = I'll buy a new gaming station, so this one doesn't have to be off the charts.

Situation = I want to buy a barebones kit with PS and MB and use the components above to build a mid-level workstation.
- CPU = P4 2.66 / PGA478
- MB chipset = 845GE.
- Mem = 2 x 512 2700 DDR SDRAM
I've researched some kits on Tigerdirect and Tom's but just want to be sure I don't waste a lot of time and money. Most come with 3 or 4 PCI and AGP4X slots which is all I need. So a few questions:
1. Buy the case/MB combo deal?
2. Buy the right MB and put it in a separate case with PS?
3. What specs must absolutely match for this to work and what can I get away with?
4. Any other gotchas I need to be aware of when trying to pull this off.
5. Any other tips you can think of . . .

Thanks for the help, folks. I really appreciate it. If there is too much to type, PM me and I'll give you my number (Jersey area code) or give me your phone number and I'd be happy to call you if you're willing to share you time and experience. There's so much love here I think I'm gonna cry . . . ok, never mind. The feeling passed.

What other server let's you do stuff like this?? -Chips
-[CfH]-Server Admin
Excaliber
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 7:57 am  Reply with quote
Forum Scout
Forum Scout

Was your PC on when the flood hit? was it plugged into the wall? My MB has a led light that is on when the PC is off which means it has juice on the MB even though the system is off. If there was power at your house when the flood happenned there is a possibility that you may have damaged the memory,cpu, drives and optical drives. I would be a little weary about plugging in something that was in a flood in a new system, maybe an old beater to make sure everything works right.

You can also look at Newegg.com for some pretty good deals on bare bones systems or a case and mb. I dont know what you are looking at spending but you can build a nice base system for around 500 then add your video of choice and sound. I built my system for around 375 then added 200 in video and 100 in sound. Building a system is pretty simple if you just go through it systematicaly Case,PS,MB,CPU,CPU fan,Memory,cables, HD,optical drive,FD,Video Card,Sound Card. Most items will work together. When looking for a MB try to find one that doesnt have on board video and sound. You can get away with on board sound but just disable it. A lot of MB's will come with 2 or 4 USB ports on the back and 10/100 or 10/100/1000 either net port. I cant give any advice about intel boards and chips sets, I only run AMD(personal preference)with VIA and Nvidia chip sets(I like the Nvidia chip set better). got to run brb.
Excaliber
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 8:22 am  Reply with quote
Forum Scout
Forum Scout

ok back the Boss was in the area and I had to get off the PC. Ok where was I ...... margaritaville opps get back on subject ok. Since your video card is shot the MB will depend on what video card you will go with either AGP or PCI Express. Most MB's will come with one or the other I havent seen one yet with both. Last little bit of advice dont get into a hurry and buy something because it has a good price but is lacking the features you want just take your time and plan it out and buy it bit by bit and you can have a rockin system for a good price. hope this helps and doesnt confuse you. ok back to margaritaville er I mean work......
Mr. Happy
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 9:06 am  Reply with quote
Forum Sniper
Forum Sniper

Excaliber, thanks for the help. Mucho appreciato . . . or something.

What other server let's you do stuff like this?? -Chips
-[CfH]-Server Admin
kibblesnbits
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 9:24 am  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

I suggest a total rebuild, but thats because I've been wanting to do it Razz, the Amd 64 cpu 3000+ with case + mobo I think you can get it for like 220$ was a pretty sick case too Razz and you could make a riser 6 inches for your computer or you can put ontop of your desk for latter use Razz

www.GuildWarsRealm.net GG site