Chips' Fun House Forum Index

View next topic
View previous topic
Page 1 of 1
Chips' Fun House Forum Index  ~  Questions, Suggestions and Recommendations  ~  Uptime
Creamy White Sponge
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 2:49 pm  Reply with quote
Forum Sniper
Forum Sniper

I don't know how many of us are annoyed at this, but the website goes down far too often. I blame the provider, the purpose of a website is that it's up more than every other day Wink

The constant downtime isn't doing any good for [CFH], and I really think you should move to a better provider.

Have you seen HostInsta? I've had over a year of uptime now. Go look at the packages at www.hostinsta.com Smile

Be sure to say the username "combatg" refered you hahahahaha Very Happy Laughing

Adam Reece
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Chips
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 4:16 pm  Reply with quote
Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

My provider is under intermittent DDoS attacks. This is much more frequent on the net today. If Microsoft can be taken offline...anyone can. Those of us that use Gamesurge on IRC know this full well as they've been on and off for over a week now. If large networks and sites like this can be effected this way...so can any other provider I move to or consider.
My provider assures me they are taking final steps in warding off these attack now and in the future. They had apparently removed the defenses they put up initially once the attacks subsided...now they are back.

Hopefully, things will be patched up real soon.

The only good game, is a fair game...
Why do we park on driveways and drive on parkways! George Carlin - 1937-2008

-[CfH]-Server Admin
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Demasu
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 5:48 pm  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

What you need is a server that runs on linux or at least a unix based os. They are tons more secure and less succeptable to things like that.atleasttheyshouldbe.

RL the ultimate roleplaying experience
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Chips
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 6:15 pm  Reply with quote

A DDoS attack is unbelieveable amounts of traffic sent to a specific ip...so much traffic that the server drowns in it and no one can connect because all it's bandwidth is taken up. These attacks are usually from infected machines run by people to stupid to properly protect them and/or realize what's going on and stop it. The operating system used has little to do with an attack on a specific IP like this.

These attacks are becoming more previlant these days. It's a shame too cause your average 13 year old can pull this off. Stricter laws prohibiting this kind of behavior are needed to ward off the "hostage taking" of servers on the internet today by a bunch of script kiddies.

The only good game, is a fair game...
Why do we park on driveways and drive on parkways! George Carlin - 1937-2008

-[CfH]-Server Admin
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Creamy White Sponge
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 6:17 pm  Reply with quote
Forum Sniper
Forum Sniper

That's why I'm all for more bandwidth, less chance of getting dos attacked.

Adam Reece
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Demasu
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 6:25 pm  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

Chips wrote:
A DDoS attack is unbelieveable amounts of traffic sent to a specific ip...so much traffic that the server drowns in it and no one can connect because all it's bandwidth is taken up. These attacks are usually from infected machines run by people to stupid to properly protect them and/or realize what's going on and stop it. The operating system used has little to do with an attack on a specific IP like this.

These attacks are becoming more previlant these days. It's a shame too cause your average 13 year old can pull this off. Stricter laws prohibiting this kind of behavior are needed to ward off the "hostage taking" of servers on the internet today by a bunch of script kiddies.

I was afraid of that.

RL the ultimate roleplaying experience
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Controlled Chaos
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 7:07 pm  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

Yea one simple person could hypothetically have access to over a hundred "zombies" machines and have his "army of zombies" machines cal out to a specific ip in which that server hosting the ip cant handle it and will go splat!!!!

and yes it is mostly done by script kiddies with some kind of vedeta against someone or thing. Bad Idea

Forever Standing United!!!!

-[CfH]-Server Admin
Audhumla
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 7:58 pm  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

Lil teen hackers?

Mario must have learned from somewhere else Mad Twisted Evil Wink

(dead)-[CfH]-Server Admin but--- because I could not stop for death, He kindly stopped for me