View next topic
View previous topic
Page 1 of 1
Chips' Fun House Forum Index  ~  Half-Life 2  ~  Installing HL 2
REST in PIECES
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 12:45 pm  Reply with quote
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Does anyone know how to change the directory when installing HL2?
I have four 20G partitions on my drive and want to install it on my D drive - but by default it wants to load it to my C drive. I cannot seem to find a way to change this.

There is no documentation in the box - other than a quick reference card. I am unable to find anything online regarding this as well.

Ho hum...

Bob

sKibbles
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 1:31 pm  Reply with quote
Forum Medic
Forum Medic

Well, im not sure what it would be if you bought it retail. I bought it via steam, and when I installed steam, I put it in my D drive, and thus HL2 is in my D drive.

I would think that when you install the game itself.. it SHOULD ask you where you want to install it to at some point. When that box comes up, just change C to D and it should switch over. IF it doesn't have anything like that, then I'm not sure what to tell you because everything I've ever installed has that screen pop up.

REST in PIECES
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 1:57 pm  Reply with quote
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Skibbles,

I purchased the retail version and when I installed it, it did the following:

Searched for Valve, Steam & other HL components

Then asked if I wanted to load all of HL2 and Counter Strike Source onto the drive

The program did show the destination for the installation, but did not show a way to browse or change the directory.

More than likely, it loaded it onto my C drive since this is where the original HL, Valve and Steam programs were located. The problem that occurred is that I nearly ran out of disk space - so I had to shuffle around some programs to other drives and now those icon links are broken (which is no big deal).

I think this is a flaw in the program. You should always have the option of where you want to install the files.

Thanks,

Bob
REST in PIECES

Snickers
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 8:03 pm  Reply with quote
Forum Soldier
Forum Soldier

It installs where you have steam on it.

If you just moved the folders to D then your registry will point to the wrong directory and you won't be able to uninstall it unless you delete those reg files.

You should have gotten it off of steam maybe because theres problems with cds (you have to put it in the drive everytime you load source (hl2 engine))
REST in PIECES
PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 3:10 am  Reply with quote
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

I have played it several times on and off and have not had the disk in the drive when I loaded it up. I don't think it's necessary - or at least I haven't ran across that problem yet.

Some screens are a bit glitchy and some of the rendering is not quite up to snuff, but for the most part - it's turning out to be worth it so far.

Thanks,

RiP

REST in PIECES
PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 5:12 pm  Reply with quote
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Problem rectified. Thanks to those of you who answered up.

Mucho gracias!

RiP